BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Confused and irritated regarding X1 front seats.

09-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Confused and irritated regarding X1 front seats.

Having searched thru web images and videos I really like the interior of the new X1 especially with the sport seats in brown leather, and satin wood. Ready to custom order 2016 X1, but cannot get definite information on the front seats. Want the sport seats, but not the M Sport package. There are multiple official BMW pics in BMW US promotional materials of non M Sport interiors with sport seats clearly showing enhanced lateral support and adjustable thigh extension, but configuring on the BMW site it looks like the non M Sport comes with standard seats (less lateral support and no thigh extension). Building online does not offer a sport seat option. Have had no luck questioning dealer and BMW NA corporate to figure out how to order these seats, or simply to find out if the sport seats can actually be ordered for the non M Sport. Hard to believe that I can't get a definite answer as to whether sport seats can be ordered on a non M Sport, especially given the expectation BMW have created from their US promotional pics for the non M Sport interiors.
I have to assume I am not the only potential buyer who is delaying their decision until the seat option is clarified.
Does anyone have any information on ordering sport seats?
Thanks.

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 09-04-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
My guess is that the standard trim package available to us in the U.S. is X-Line and that means base seats without the adjustable thigh support. M-Sport is probably our only path to sport seats.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

They're certainly available separate to the M Sport package here in Australia, according to the dealer guide I've seen. Interestingly, I'm after the same combo....the mocha leather looks great!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Also available as option in the UK (£395) in SE, Sport and xLine. M Sport isn't yet available. No idea if it'll include sport seats as standard or not.

I opted for regular seats instead of sport + electrically adjustable. Spent the cash on panoramic roof instead!! Don't think I'm going to regret that, since I'm the sole driver and am looking for more comfort than support.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

For the USA, I've come to the conclusion that in order to get the sport seats one has to get the M-Sport package. That of course, unless somebody knows differently. I never go by the photos. it's so easy to mix them up.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
madwolfa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
For the USA, I've come to the conclusion that in order to get the sport seats one has to get the M-Sport package. That of course, unless somebody knows differently. I never go by the photos. it's so easy to mix them up.
Looks like it, which is a bummer, coz this car definitely looks better as it is (X-Line).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I was reading somewhere that supposedly the standard seats are taken from Mini. If that's true then maybe they're not as bad as the typical standard BMW seat. I don't know. I'll have to wait to try them both.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I was reading somewhere that supposedly the standard seats are taken from Mini. If that's true then maybe they're not as bad as the typical standard BMW seat. I don't know. I'll have to wait to try them both.
Have to agree, MINI seats are excellent! Standard BMW seats give me aches
      03-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
My guess is that the standard trim package available to us in the U.S. is X-Line and that means base seats without the adjustable thigh support. M-Sport is probably our only path to sport seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
Looks like it, which is a bummer, coz this car definitely looks better as it is (X-Line).
I still cannot believe that BMW would try to sell ANY vehicle with seats as bad as the standard X1 seats we are forced to accept in the U.S.! I just finished a week driving X1 loaner cars with both types of seat. The standard seats are UNBELIEVABLY hard and uncomfortable -- as if you are sitting on a board, leaning back against a board, with no side constraint whatsoever. The X1 sport seats are 100% better.

But unless we U.S. customers switch to the "M Sport" package, which many find to be ugly and boxy looking, we can't get decent seats. That just isn't right, or good business!

There are two easy solutions for BMWNA:

1. Let us have the "Sport Line" that the rest of the world gets, where we get sport seats included.
2. Just as BMW did for the 3 series, make decent seats (sports seats) standard on all configurations.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
I still cannot believe that BMW would try to sell ANY vehicle with seats as bad as the standard X1 seats we are forced to accept in the U.S.! I just finished a week driving X1 loaner cars with both types of seat. The standard seats are UNBELIEVABLY hard and uncomfortable -- as if you are sitting on a board, leaning back against a board, with no side constraint whatsoever. The X1 sport seats are 100% better.

But unless we U.S. customers switch to the "M Sport" package, which many find to be ugly and boxy looking, we can't get decent seats. That just isn't right, or good business!

There are two easy solutions for BMWNA:

1. Let us have the "Sport Line" that the rest of the world gets, where we get sport seats included.
2. Just as BMW did for the 3 series, make decent seats (sports seats) standard on all configurations.
Sorry that that you can't specify the seats that suit you in the US. Don't know why BMW don't make all the options that meet local legislation available in all markets. As I've said elsewhere, we wouldn't have bought an X1 without the standard seats, but it's good to have the choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
IBX1
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

I have X1 2016 with xline, premium, luxury, tech. I did not want the hip hop looking Msport version. It is also supposed to have stiff handling and that is no good on my bumpy roads. I paid for what I thought were the good seats by getting "luxury" package... they suck! They are so bad I can't really enjoy driving the car much. Unless you have short legs look elsewhere. I have also heard that even the sport seats are too small for long legs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBX1 View Post
I have also heard that even the sport seats are too small for long legs.
Not in my experience...I had an X1 on demo fo a week (Sport trim version in the UK) and the Sports seats were fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

The adjustable thigh bit always annoyed me in both my F20 and F56 mini... Collects crumbs and old Big Mac lettuce shavings
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
IBX1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Not in my experience...I had an X1 on demo fo a week (Sport trim version in the UK) and the Sports seats were fine for me.
Do you have long legs? I have 37" real inseam and wear 34 length pants.

I just drove around town in mine to a home show and there were lots of speed bumps and pot holes in that area. In those conditions the seats feel so terrible and give zero support. Imagine sitting on the edge of a small plastic bucket and trying to feel stable driving a boat. That's what this car feels like. It's a combination of that and the suspention I think, it feels so tipsy and bouncy over the smallest bumps. A bigger chair with good upper and lower side bolsters would solve most of this.

Another thing about the seats - the leather. Does this "Dakota" leather break in and get smooth? I can't stand how grippy it is. A big reason I got leather instead of cloth was to allow my ass to easily slide around on the leather. I hate the feeling that my pants are velcro'd to the seat, and I get that with this leather. My infiniti and volvo have super smooth leather. Does this stuff smooth out or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

I finally got to sit in an X1 with Sports Seats. As someone else said they're not like the Sports Seats in other BMWs, I get to drive a X4 M-Sport on a regular basis.

As someone who's been digesting every piece of info on the X1 over the past 5 months, I even got to look around one in a dealer before the official launch date.

The Sports Seats are hard, too hard and the thigh adjustment is noticeable in feel.

I can't believe I'm not going to buy one because of the seats, if they were the same as the Sports Seats in the other Xs. It wouldn't be an issue, I intend to have a decent test drive in the X1 to check, otherwise I'm looking at a MB GLC or the X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #16
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can we get others to rep the seats here? Some of us have orders pending delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I actually prefer the X1 sport seats to the 2 series sport seats.
      03-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #18
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

In Canada here and ordered an Atlantic Grey X-line with sport seats. Here in Canada sport seats are part of the Premium Package Enhanced ($4950CDN) it also includes

Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Panorama Sunroof
Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
Heated Steering Wheel
Sport Seats
Head-Up Display
Alarm System
Comfort Access
SiriusXM Satelite Radio Tuner
Automatic Trunk
BMW On-Board Navigation
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Just because a seat is firm it doesn't mean it's uncomfortable over a long distance/many hours. When I was at work my "ergonomic" office chair had no padding at all.

I have driven an X1 with sports seats for 6 months and absolutely no issues and I'm over 6 feet.(and I drive on UK roads which are not smooth and many have speed humps/potholes).

I did need to do some experimentation, to get the ideal position - which is quite high, with the wheel close to the dashboard.

IMO if you want to drive around in a big comfy armchair, you probably shouldn't be buying a firm riding, compact SUV like the X1.

As always the key is have a decent test drive.

Last edited by Les Paul; 03-20-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #20
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

We have the Sport seat option in our X-line and they are excellent. They are much better that the Sport seats we had in our 320d Coupe about 4 years ago. They are just as supportive but the seat squab and backrest are softer. The ones in the Coupe were as hard as nails.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #21
IBX1
Rep

Les Paul this is not about a soft vs hard seat, it's the size. Plus, you can be 6 foot with short legs. Trust me, for a big man, this is too small. And I am a bike racer not a fat loaf. It's made for ladies to allow feet to reach it seems. I drive aggressive and that is when the tiny seat is the worst, off road and on sharp corners. You get bounced out of the dumb little bottom of the thing.

Another annoyance are all the reviews touting the space. With my seat in position there is no way anyone can sit comfortably behind it lol. Word to the wise - when you watch a video review, don't listen to anyone short doing the reviews talking about how spacious the car is. It's almost as if everything is scaled down to fool the eye. Like a miniature X5 inside and out.

Finally, the alignment of the pedals is way too left, horrible driving ergonomics even if the seat fits. It's like your upper body faces forward, and legs need to go left. It must be like this to accommodate the pushed back engine/transmission.

Last edited by IBX1; 03-22-2016 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #22
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBX1 View Post
Trust me, for a big man, this is too small. And I am a bike racer not a fat loaf. It's made for ladies to allow feet to reach it seems. I drive aggressive and that is when the tiny seat is the worst, off road and on sharp corners. You get bounced out of the dumb little bottom of the thing.
Just to clarify, these are the horrible STANDARD seats you are talking about, not the SPORT seats.

I'm not saying that the X1 sports seats are the best seats in the world, but they are SO much better than the standard seats. BMW should be embarrassed selling any vehicle with those standard seats.
Appreciate 0