04-29-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Bonnet Struts

My UK X1 is 5 years old today

Went in for MOT and Brake Fluid Service yesterday - all OK although I did not realise that 5yr Brake Fluid Service was not covered by my 5yr Service Inclusive package (only the 3yr Brake Fluid Service).

Anyway, got the usual phone call mid-morning - "Did I want the recommended Air Conditioning Service as 5 yrs old" - No, it's not broke so don't fix it thanks. Then "The Bonnet Struts expiry date is 04/21 - do I want them changed (£173.36)" - at first I thought they meant the gas struts that hold the bonnet (hood) up and they are working fine, but it would seem it is something to do with the pedestrian impact system under the bonnet (hood). So, I decided I would hang fire on this and find out some more and I wonder if anyone else has had this come up yet?

MOT and Brake Fluid Service £134.35

Bill
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
pcy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X1 x28i

Hi,

Call the service adviser and ask for additional info - what was he talking about EXPIRATION DATE for a 'Active Pedestrian Protection' latch. I can't think of a reason why you'd need to proactively replace that part unless it is fired/activated.
Appreciate 1
Bill_P94.50
      05-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Sounds like a load of bullocks...

Tell them you'll replace it after you hit your next one, you're on the every other pedestrian / automobile accident plan not the preemptive accident repair plan.

But I agree with the guy above, ask them to describe exactly what it is because it's a bit odd.

Also you guys change your brake fluid every 5 years?

That'a rather optimistic
Appreciate 1
Bill_P94.50
      05-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #4
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post

Tell them you'll replace it after you hit your next one, you're on the every other pedestrian / automobile accident plan not the preemptive accident repair plan.

But I agree with the guy above, ask them to describe exactly what it is because it's a bit odd.

That'a rather optimistic
Brake Fluid was changed at 3 yrs (covered under Service Inclusive) but change at 5yrs is not covered for some unknown reason

Still investigating the bonnet struts - I am sure it was described as a "best before" date on the struts, which I take to mean that there will be nothing wrong with them. I don't recall hitting many pedestrians in the last 5 years (but maybe I just don't notice them as I get older!!)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'd be curious to know what the part# for these items are and where exactly they are located.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:13 AM   #6
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

This sheds some light:

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/13195...brake-service/
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:

That'a rather optimistic
Re brake fluid. The schedule, which appears to be standard across several UK vehicles including BMW/Audi etc is 1st at 3 years, then subsequent 2 year intervals.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and deteriorates over time, so that interval is reasonable.
The small struts under the bonnet/hood push up the rear end of the bonnet in the event of a frontal pedestrian collision and it's proven to lessen injury, particularly I understand, if children are involved.
This link provides info: https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2001-06-0089/

Last edited by oakey46; 07-15-2021 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Quote:

That'a rather optimistic
Re brake fluid. The schedule, which appears to be standard across several UK vehicles including BMW/Audi etc is 1st at 3 years, then subsequent 2 year intervals.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and deteriorates over time, so that interval is reasonable.
The small struts under the bonnet/hood push up the rear end of the bonnet in the event of a frontal pedestrian collision and it's proven to lessen injury, particularly I understand, if children are involved.
This link provides info: https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2001-06-0089/
Yeah I know the hygroscopic part but brake fluid after 3 years to be sounds ambitious. I think I would do 2 years max as you mentioned. Any amount of water could cause problems, I doubt if you waited 3 years over two there would be enough water accumulated that you would ever be in danger of the brakes locking due to water boiling, but I'd be worried about the water causing any corrosion or rust.
Appreciate 0