BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Anyone upgrade HiFi speakers to Focals (or other brands)?

04-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #23
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Yeah sounded like alarm clock speakers. I would use my Bose Bluetooth speaker at times instead of listening to the car speakers. Bavsound stuff is high quality and clean. Customer service is top notch too is that matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #24
Humpus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 16d

I'm coming from the Hi-fi system (SA676) and upgraded the front door speakers to Eton B100XW's and the subwoofers to Focal 8 inches.

I'm not happy with the upgrade.

Yes, the built in tweeters make a huge difference but the mids are highs are so overkill it makes my ears bleed even at medium-high volume.

Because we can only control the bass and treble in our X1, I cannot decrease the stupid overkill medium frequencies.

The Focal subs also don't work well with the standard amp. Either the space in the floor is just too small to produce a solid bass, or the BMW amp cannot handle them.

I really hoped I didn't have to upgrade the amp, but it seems I have no other option. I'm thinking of returning the Focal subs and spending that money on an amp, but actually all I want is a decent equalizer.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just want decent, balanced, 'full' sound so I can enjoy my music. Honestly, my 2003 E46 has a standard sound system and even after 18 years it sounds miles better than this current BMW crap.

What do you guys suggest? Is there an affordable way to introduce something like a 10-band equalizer into the system? Or is replacing the amp the only option?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #25
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpus View Post
I'm coming from the Hi-fi system (SA676) and upgraded the front door speakers to Eton B100XW's and the subwoofers to Focal 8 inches.

I'm not happy with the upgrade.

Yes, the built in tweeters make a huge difference but the mids are highs are so overkill it makes my ears bleed even at medium-high volume.

Because we can only control the bass and treble in our X1, I cannot decrease the stupid overkill medium frequencies.

The Focal subs also don't work well with the standard amp. Either the space in the floor is just too small to produce a solid bass, or the BMW amp cannot handle them.

I really hoped I didn't have to upgrade the amp, but it seems I have no other option. I'm thinking of returning the Focal subs and spending that money on an amp, but actually all I want is a decent equalizer.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just want decent, balanced, 'full' sound so I can enjoy my music. Honestly, my 2003 E46 has a standard sound system and even after 18 years it sounds miles better than this current BMW crap.

What do you guys suggest? Is there an affordable way to introduce something like a 10-band equalizer into the system? Or is replacing the amp the only option?
I've upgraded most of my speakers to focal in the doors & center & added regular HK tweeters to front/rear (none prior). I notice a nice increase for sound quality, however, if i'd upgrade the floor subs (as you have), i'd upgrade amp at the same time.

The oem amp is trash & can't provide anywhere near the power these subs need, so unless you upgrade the amp, the floor subs won't be much help.

Amp is just so damn pricey which is my main reason on holding off for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #26
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Fwiw upgrading to one of the match or bimmertech amp gives you more power but more importantly, gives you frequency tuning ability and presents an actual soundstage. If I had any idea, I would have done this sooner. It’s a night and day difference and so much more than “louder”.

I bought a used pp82dsp for $400
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #27
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

I've done a ton of reading on upgrading the stock hifi system. All roads point to the biggest improvements will come from replacing the amp and adding tweeters. Only replace the existing speakers after those two upgrades if you're still unhappy, but almost everyone didn't feel a need to upgrade the existing speakers after those two changes.

Similar to a home stereo. A fantastic amp with mediocre speakers will always always always sound better than fantastic speakers hooked up to a mediocre amp. People always target the speakers when they really should be replace that Onkyo, Denon, HK, Yamaha amp with something better.

Zzzz
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #28
Humpus
Rep

I do have something to add. Spotify was the single cause of making my ears bleed.
Listening to the same tracks on Youtube Music was MUCH better. I have no equalizer or other sound changes enabled in the Spotify app. Music quality is set to 'very high'. I don't know what's going on but it is complete crap.

Anyway. The sound is enjoyable now listening to the radio or Youtube Music, even on high volume. It's still a bit too clean for my liking, but it's miles better than the stock Hi-fi system.

My main concern is the way the stock amp drives the speakers. According to Eton's information, the stock amp (SA676) should already apply a 150hz high pass filter on the door speakers.
Quote:
the optionally available B100 XHP midrange crossovers are NOT required, as appropriate active filtering is already carried out in the original BMW amplifier (SA676 Hifi System).
I played a frequency test file and I can clearly feel and hear the door speakers and center speaker vibrate from 45hz onwards (tested with the speaker grills off so I can touch the speaker). So what's going on?

Also, a lot of people are praising the sound upgrade from the center speaker (Eton UG B100 XCN) but the center speaker is so quiet compared to the door speakers, I can barely tell the difference if it's plugged in or not.

So next I'll try swapping back to the original BMW subs to give the amp a bit more breathing space and I'll install the HP filters just to see if it makes a difference.

I might also upgrade the rear door speakers as the Etons are much louder than the standard speakers. It feels weird that all the sound is coming from in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
All roads point to the biggest improvements will come from replacing the amp and adding tweeters. Only replace the existing speakers after those two upgrades if you're still unhappy, but almost everyone didn't feel a need to upgrade the existing speakers after those two changes.
I know, but spending 800 euro or more on an amp is just overkill for me. My X1 is a lease, I still have 3 more years to go. I opted for the coaxial system for now instead of separate tweeters. The sound is already much better, I'm just worried about the HP filter not working and I don't like the feeling of all speakers being in front of me instead of around me.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #29
malelee21
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X1

I installed Bavsound stage 1 speakers and at first I was not impressed by it. Turned out that it needed several days to break in.

I am now happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #30
Humpus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malelee21 View Post
I installed Bavsound stage 1 speakers and at first I was not impressed by it. Turned out that it needed several days to break in.

I am now happy with it.
Did you also upgrade the subs?

I removed the Focal subs and re-installed the OEM subs. To be honest, I cannot tell the difference... And yes, I've had them in the car for two weeks now, so they should be broken in nicely by now. I think it's pointless to upgrade the subs if you're not upgrading the amp.

I decided to keep the Eton central dashboard speaker. With the original subs back in the car, it seems like the central speaker is a bit louder now. Helps a bit with vocals too.

Next week I'll be upgrading the rear door speakers and also trying the Eton HP filters for the front doors. But all in all, I'm quite happy with the upgrade so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #31
malelee21
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X1

No, I did not upgrade the subs. I think OEM subs are perfectly fine. Prior to X1, I had a 18 Audi Q5 with 21 speaker OB system; subwoofer it came with sounded unbelievable. No, X1 HIFI with Bavsound stage 1 is no where close to OB system, but I find it more than enough for everyday listening.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #32
Humpus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
I've done a ton of reading on upgrading the stock hifi system. All roads point to the biggest improvements will come from replacing the amp and adding tweeters.
I've been thinking about this and I might change my mind after all
What are the options for a plug and play amp upgrade?

This is what I've found so far:
- Match UP 7BMW (800 euro)
- Match PP82DSP (650 euro)
- Match PP62DSP (500 euro)
- Eton Power 150.6 (400 euro)

How many channels are needed?
Do I really need DSP? Can I tune it myself or does it need to be done professionally? Buying or renting an RTA mic will not be cheap either.
Is there a way to install a DSP without upgrading the amp?

Last edited by Humpus; 05-04-2021 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #33
MTDBassMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

I put Polk DB402s in my front doors, fed by a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amp, in turn fed by an AudioControl DQDX. Wired the two underseat subs in series together with driver side remote. Massive improvement!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #34
Humpus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDBassMan View Post
I put Polk DB402s in my front doors, fed by a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amp, in turn fed by an AudioControl DQDX. Wired the two underseat subs in series together with driver side remote. Massive improvement!
Did you have the built in amp (SA676)? Or where all connections made behind the radio in the dash?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #35
MTDBassMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpus View Post
Did you have the built in amp (SA676)? Or where all connections made behind the radio in the dash?
Yes, I had the built in hifi 676 amp (actually left it in there, disconnected). I made a massive post about the process very recently, so if anyone's interested, please look up my "odyssey" audio retrofit post via my username to avoid hijacking this thread 🙂
Appreciate 0