BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Hit and Run - Venting but also bizarre

12-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

OP my G35 got absolutely raped parking in philly. One time I think either kids vandalized by smashing their bike on my roof; or an enormous truck somehow clipped it driving by. My f80 has been scraped in the rear. what you gunna do
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I hate when people say this, just because he has money, does not mean people can vandalize his stuff and he'll be okay with it.

How would you feel if someone smashed your car everyday, and you had to pay out of pocket everytime?
Yes, it totally sucks this shit happens. BUT, having financial security allows one the LUXURY of not allowing these issues effect them.

A $5g repair bill can be a major financial hardship to some. I understand and respect this. But for some, a $5g hit, quite simply, won't even be felt.

Membership has its privileges.

And yes, I would feel a $5g hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I'd say a drunk hit it then did a runner with an old vehicle with metal bumper sharp edge protruding.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #26
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Yes, it totally sucks this shit happens. BUT, having financial security allows one the LUXURY of not allowing these issues effect them.

A $5g repair bill can be a major financial hardship to some. I understand and respect this. But for some, a $5g hit, quite simply, won't even be felt.

Membership has its privileges.

And yes, I would feel a $5g hit.
Can you imagine if the person owned a more expensive car? Such as a Mclaren, or ferrari or any of those?
Even if you can afford to repair it, you can still get angry for someone damaging your car, and I'm sure the bill to repair those cars aren't pretty, so there's only a certain amount of claims you can make for insurance before they drop you.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Nearly identical damage I received on my passenger front door panel from rebar. Granted, I was driving and some jack dropped a railroad tie 6x6 with rebar hanging out of it. Swerved to avoid and rebar caught the panel and suspension. Dude kept driving but I had to pull over. People suck!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #28
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sounds like you are a wealthy dude. Shit happens. Move on with life. Make an insurance claim and get the door repaired by a qualified BMW auto body shop. Its just a car.
+1

OP it sounds like you’re just now being introduced to the scum society in this world. Sh*t happens and it’s been happening sucks it just happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post
It has nothing to do with the money. And the fact people think money is the primary principle in a situation like this is disheartening and perhaps part of why common decency in our society is diminishing. It has to do with the principle of someone damaging someone else's property and being either oblivious (best case scenario) or realizing what they did and deciding "Meh not my problem, let me keep going". If the person left a note, I would barely care.
I didn't say it was about money. Your description of how you were acting seems a bit out of place for someone who has achieved some level of success; meaning you have more important shit to worry about. You live in a big city parked on a heavily traveled street during Christmastime and have absolutely no idea what happened. It could have been a delivery truck with a lift gate and side steps, and the truck driver never noticed he or she hit your SUV.

I'd have a bit more empathy for you if you had some idea what happened, if there was malicious intent or a careless attitude from the other vehicle's driver, but you don't. Yet you come one the Forum and basically say all mankind is doomed. It could have been an innocent accident for all you know.

I hope the repair comes out to your satisfaction.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hate when people say this, just because he has money, does not mean people can vandalize his stuff and he'll be okay with it.

How would you feel if someone smashed your car everyday, and you had to pay out of pocket everytime?
Why are you assuming it was vandalism?

If my car was getting smashed everyday, I'd park in a different place.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #31
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Such damage....

SO sorry for this - one would hope someone would have left a note if they were aware of the damage; if you have a good relationship w/the gym administration, perhaps discussing if they can post a generic note about your damage and see if anyone has further info; it clearly appears something penetrated the door (trailer hitch?).
      12-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #32
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Zero. Which is why I'm thinking it must be something like a hitch.
Most bike rack hitches are black. Some of the arms/trays are aluminum and just annodized, but a lot are still painted or black. That low, it's not the trays either. There's a lot hanging off of some vehicles that could do it though, hitch, maybe big front brush guard, luggage carrier or something. That's a lot of impacts for no paint transfer. Would be at least nice to know what it was!
      12-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #33
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

To the people saying 'its only money just move on" ... well its pretty much stealing: Had this been his GT3 he'd have to either 1) pay out of pocket himself to avoid a ding on the carfax or 2) file a claim, get body work done, then list his car at a significant discount since it has damage history. Or fight with insurance for a diminished value claim. In essence the scum that hit him would be literally robbing him of thousands of dollars.

If you're still going to take the GT3 to the gym you are a brave man!! I can't bear the thought of parking my M3 or 458 in busy public areas.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
To the people saying 'its only money just move on" ... well its pretty much stealing: Had this been his GT3 he'd have to either 1) pay out of pocket himself to avoid a ding on the carfax or 2) file a claim, get body work done, then list his car at a significant discount since it has damage history. Or fight with insurance for a diminished value claim. In essence the scum that hit him would be literally robbing him of thousands of dollars.

If you're still going to take the GT3 to the gym you are a brave man!! I can't bear the thought of parking my M3 or 458 in busy public areas.
So you basically drive the Civic everywhere and just look at your other cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
So you basically drive the Civic everywhere and just look at your other cars?
well i think when one drives a 458 you would typically think where you are going to park it before taking it out
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6069.00
b92539.50
      12-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

OP: Rage on ! I'd want to vent as well but I secretly want someone to swim my front bumper because my OCD is telling me I need a repaint.

What a weird looking gash. Delivery truck?

Definitely looks like the offender was backing out and turning.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #37
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

Thank you for this. Nobody appreciates being the victim of fuckery. Unfairness feels unfair irrespective of your finances.
      12-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #38
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
So this morning I went to the gym as I do almost every Saturday morning and parked in the same spot I park in almost every single time.

Came out about an hour later and did a double take. Someone/something sliced the side of my car open. Sliced is the accurate word here...it ripped through the door like a can opener.

Now that my rage has subsided (no cameras or anything else picked anything up and also the cops here refuse to even come out for something like this) I’m left truly wondering WTF could have done this. I’m thinking a large truck caught the side with something metal. I’m willing to give the asshole the benefit of the doubt that in a large enough truck they may not have even noticed (but still totally at fault for driving like a moron)

I take my GT3 about 50% of the time. Had this happened to that car I wouldn’t be posting right now...I’d be on a 72 hour hold for the ungodly fury it would have sent me into. But the GT3 has dash cams, so I at least would have been hot on the trail of the a-hole.
Sorry that someone did this to you.

Strangest gash I've seen since my 2nd wife left town.
      12-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #39
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
OP: Rage on ! I'd want to vent as well but I secretly want someone to swim my front bumper because my OCD is telling me I need a repaint.

What a weird looking gash. Delivery truck?

Definitely looks like the offender was backing out and turning.
Yeah looks like a delivery truck or some sort of commercial truck with a bare metal lower bumper. If I were OP, maybe next weekend park the car elsewhere, but just hang out observing the area and see if any large trucks have a common route through here.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #40
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Almost looks like someone took an axe.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I just got to thinking about this more, about my car being smashed everyday. Since you asked...

As I've posted in the past, my E90 has had four (4) deer strikes in it's 13-year life. The first was at just 9 months and 13,500 miles in Feb 2007. The last at 350,000 in April 2018, which totaled the car (I fixed it anyway). So none of the deer I hit ever left a note of apology or offered to pay for the damage. You can check my posts, never once did I cry about it. It's a fricking car driven in an environment where it is bound to get damaged. Does it really matter how?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #42
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I just got to thinking about this more, about my car being smashed everyday. Since you asked...

As I've posted in the past, my E90 has had four (4) deer strikes in it's 13-year life. The first was at just 9 months and 13,500 miles in Feb 2007. The last at 350,000 in April 2018, which totaled the car (I fixed it anyway). So none of the deer I hit ever left a note of apology or offered to pay for the damage. You can check my posts, never once did I cry about it. It's a fricking car driven in an environment where it is bound to get damaged. Does it really matter how?
That's different, you're driving in a area which has warnings that there are probably deer.

This is a guy whose car is legit stationary, and someone decided to not know how to drive and back up into it and not even care and drive off. The driver who ran off could have paid for the damages as he had insurance, but the deer is an animal so of course you can't cry about it.
      12-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's different, you're driving in a area which has warnings that there are probably deer.

This is a guy whose car is legit stationary, and someone decided to not know how to drive and back up into it and not even care and drive off. The driver who ran off could have paid for the damages as he had insurance, but the deer is an animal so of course you can't cry about it.
I hope you understood the comment about the deer paying was sarcastic...

But the point is the same, my car was damaged and I was not compensated by the thing that caused the damage. I live in central Virginia, deer collisions are a fact of life here. Meaning expecting to drive in my neck of the woods and not have a deer encounter is unrealistic; just as unrealistic as parking a car in a major city and not expecting it to be damaged at some point while parked and not knowing what or who caused the damage.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-24-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #44
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
that's kind crazy, lift gate? I would imagine side swipe would dent rather than slice
Appreciate 0