BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Can Apple CarPlay be added on afterwards (retrofit)

08-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Can Apple CarPlay be added on afterwards (retrofit)

Hi all,

I have a 2018 BMW X1, and I did not get the Apple CarPlay addition when I bought the car.

I have signed up for Connected Drive access and are able to login and see my services, but I do not see Apple CarPlay listed anywhere.

Is it possible for me to have this downloaded/installed? Perhaps a Retro kit?

Any ideas? I'd like to add that I have googled around this forum and several others, and everyone seems to have an opinion (wireless option needed, downloaded from connected drive store). Honestly, I am confused about what to do.

Derek

Last edited by derek.megyesi; 08-25-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Obviously, as I live in the UK, I cannot be certain, but this route may help if the BMW Connected Drive services are the same in Canada.
You've already tried logging in to your BMW Connected Drive Hub. For the UK this shows which services are already 'booked' for your car, including CarPlay.
I assume it doesn't appear in 'Recommended Services' further down the same page. Otherwise, go into the Connected Drive Store, a link to which may show at the top of your first page. For me, that shows all the various services I can pay for and activate. Regrettably, my X1 only has the standard UK iDrive 6 screen and I would have had to select the quite costly upgraded navigation system with the larger screen to have the ability to go for Apple CarPlay.

Last edited by oakey46; 08-26-2018 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
I got a call from my local dealer here in Calgary, and it turns out that I need a 'Car Play Prep' kit for my X1 which can only come installed at the factory.

The Car Play cannot be installed as a Retro kit, sadly.

Oh well, saves me $300
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
chgokev79
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016

There are methods of installing CarPlay as a retrofit. Some vehicles can have a coding change to activate it. Others you can buy a retrofit kit. I have seen one on Bimmer Tech for ~$500.
Appreciate 0