BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing weird CD problem ***RESOLVED***

05-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

weird CD problem ***RESOLVED***

So, I have a Numark DJ twin CD combo, with a separate head controller, as a DJ use, it's in a flight case and supposed and used to be banging aroundin transport.

I use it now for home use, in my party room.

My kit was in storage for about 5 years (in the house) and I'm now starting to get it all out.

I had/have a weird problem, that, when you go to eject one side, you hear the motor, but the tray door does not open, (you get an error) , but give it a gentle love tap and it does. From then on, works a treat that is until the next time you get to power it up.

By coincidence I found that keeping a CD in the tray, stops this LOL, opens everytime even after an overnight power down

I DONT really wanna take it apart, could just need some lube, but anythoughts in why it will work with a CD in the tray , but not after a powerdown and a love tap fixes it

Many thanks

Last edited by nazali; 07-09-2023 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 01:04 PM   #2
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

also the other side, does this to an extent, but pressing the eject button will eventually open it, and again works there after

could be a misalignment or the mechanism might need lubricating

Always wary of taking things apart as there never the same again
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 09:49 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I did some research on this one, and found that there is a magnet which fails to release and thus jams the release mechanism
I also found putting a blank CD in there when switching off totally fixes the issue and it has no jammed again
After a few months of doing this, it has ceased to jam !
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      10-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I also noticed this problem has now gone.

I think after a few months of use, whatever was jamming has stopped jamming, I guess, any form of mechanical bits dont like being in storage for long, the CD was in storage for about 5 years
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I also noticed this problem has now gone.

I think after a few months of use, whatever was jamming has stopped jamming, I guess, any form of mechanical bits dont like being in storage for long, the CD was in storage for about 5 years
Common for things that have any type of grease, which will usually be on any type of gearing or moving parts. That grease dries up and creates friction. It's likely that something was just sticky from not getting used, tapping it was enough to unstick it, and by doing that a few times it wore down/smoothed out whatever was sticking.

With that said, it's time to let year 2005 go and get digital lol

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50