The BMW iNEXT in the hottest phase of its series development

BIMMERPOST NEWS
The BMW iNEXT in the hottest phase of its series development
COMMENTS
Name:  P90383517-highRes.jpg
Views: 6560
Size:  177.3 KB

February 27, 2020

During test drives across the desert regions of South Africa, the BMW Group’s new technology flagship masters the manifold challenges associated with extreme heat, solar radiation and dust formation on dirt tracks.

Munich. On its way to series maturity, the BMW iNEXT is completing a further chapter of its overall vehicle testing under particularly demanding conditions. Intensive test runs in the freezing cold at the polar circle are now being followed by a contrasting program in the Kalahari in Southern Africa, where in addition to extreme heat and solar radiation, permanent dust formation and off-road terrain with its sand, pebble and gravel tracks pose exceptional challenges for the BMW Group’s technology flagship. In this literally hot phase of the series development process, not only do the drive and suspension components of the BMW iNEXT, a car designed for all-electric mobility, provide proof of their functional safety, durability and reliability, but also the car’s bodywork, interior, driver assistance systems and digitalisation technology.

The so-called hot climate tests are an integral part of a both extensive and varied development and test program within the framework of the series maturity process, which entails BMW iNEXT prototypes being subjected virtually in time lapse to the stress of an entire vehicle service life. Like every new BMW model, the vehicle’s way to serial maturity leads to the BMW Group proving ground at Miramas in Southern France, the Nürburgring Nordschleife and other racetracks and to the Winter Center in Arjeplog, Sweden, as well as to desert regions with an extremely high level of heat and dryness.

Ice track, racetrack, desert passage: A variety of tests ensures long-term driving pleasure.

With high-speed operation, in stop & go traffic, extreme temperatures below and above zero, testing on ice and snow as well as desert sand and gravel, the pre-series vehicles master in a concentrated form all of the challenges an automobile may face in everyday traffic over a period of many years. In the process, experienced designers and efficient onboard measuring technology record the vehicle’s reactions to various weather and road surface conditions as well as other influences. This ensures that the characteristic BMW driving pleasure experienced in future production models is not impaired in any way by exceptional circumstances. Production of the series version of the BMW iNEXT will commence at the BMW Dingolfing plant in 2021. Designed as a modern Sports Activity Vehicle, the new model combines the latest innovations defined by the BMW Group in its corporate NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy for the future fields D-ACES (Design, Autonomous, Connected, Electrified und Services). Featuring fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology, the BMW iNEXT sets new benchmarks in sportiness, efficiency and range in a battery-powered automobile. The car’s suspension control and driver assistance systems pave the way for a further step towards autonomous driving. And current innovations in the field of operation and digitalisation also underscore the future-oriented character of the BMW iNEXT.

The BMW iNEXT masters extreme stress from heat, sunlight and dust.

The test drives through the desert and Savanna regions in the North West of South Africa offer development engineers the ideal prerequisites for testing and harmonising all drive and suspension components under extreme conditions. Surfaces alternating between sand dunes, gravel tracks and off-road passages pose an exceptional challenge even to the intelligent four-wheel drive system of the BMW iNEXT. In temperatures that would drain any mobile phone battery in no time at all, the integrated cooling concept for the high-voltage battery, the electric motor and the vehicle electronics of the BMW iNEXT stands the test. Moreover, the interior air conditioning, which operates by means of thermal pump technology, its control system and all further components of the vehicle electronics are subjected to the extreme conditions of the desert climate in order to prove their series maturity.

During extensive heat tests, the vehicle is repeatedly exposed to the heat of the sun for hours and later cooled down. In this way, the developers test not only the operability of the electrical systems, but also the temperature stability of the materials used in the interior, because the test engineers do not accept any creaking or crackling noises even in the event of sudden and intense temperature fluctuations. Furthermore, the Kalahari offers the ideal conditions for testing the dust-tightness of flaps, doors and bonnets. During test drives over thousands of kilometres on unpaved roads, through dune landscapes and across sandy scrublands, the BMW iNEXT is stirring up a lot of dust but without letting any of it get inside.

BMW iNEXT development

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Cool. Another SUV.

What happened to Munich?

From bitch'n to boring in a decade. Breathtakingly dull.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 8
peterdf30.50
Cadillac358.50
overcoil3068.50
Salty Dog3572.50
scm6079118.00
      02-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

2020: iX3 - based on LWB G08 X3, RWD only, 75kWh battery
2021: i4 - based on LWB G26 4GC, RWD/AWD, 60/80 kWh battery
2021: iX (iNEXT) - all new model, RWD/AWD, 80kWh+ battery

All built on CLAR vehicle architecture
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

The norm has become "let's knee-jerk a negative comment to every post".

This is a great vehicle with incredible features and incredibly excited to see this!
Swappy531.50
BMWRL596.00
      02-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Cool. Another SUV.

What happened to Munich?

That's what the market is dictating these days.

They have no choice but to do so and do it with EVs
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      02-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
Klerin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
yeah it's just good business. they make their money with SUVs and EVs and they can keep making fun toys for the odd ones like us.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

So what's the point of this vehicle? How is it different from an X5 EV?

Smh...
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post

Smh...
I believe the iNext is their first car that will be solely built to be an EV from the ground up.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Sayith BMW:
With the BMW Vision iNEXT, we seek to make a bold and positive statement for the future and provide a human response to the question “How will the BMW Group design a car that doesn’t have to be driven any more – but can be?”

The BMW Vision iNEXT is fully electric, fully connected and offers highly autonomous driving. The series-production model, set to become the company’s new technology flagship, will be built at BMW Group Plant Dingolfing from 2021. It will integrate the BMW Group’s strategic areas of innovation (“D+ACES”) and bring them to the roads.
BMW is also making a bold and positive statement about voles ... and, even though EVs don't need grilles, and even though you don't want it ...
VOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-26-2020 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-26-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Is iNext gonna be the official name of the production car? I really don't like it. There have been EVs with semi-autonomous capabilities for several years now. Kinda makes it seem like BMW is stuck in the past. I dunno if I'd want this car to be the poster child of BMW's future.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      02-27-2020, 01:32 AM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
That's what the market is dictating these days.

Very well said. Then - it's all about the test drive to confirm if that's the car one wants.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #12
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Very well said. Then - it's all about the test drive to confirm if that's the car one wants.
Exactly.

And we all on here know that a vast majority of BMW owners are just in 1 to use as a status symbol so those people aren't in uproars about trends.

Us gear heads are a small percentage of owners that get a BMW for performance, refinement & heritage.

My off on a tangent is done
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Cool. Another SUV.

What happened to Munich?

Isn't it obvious? People buy less sedans and more SUVs. And many european countries are on track with completely banning gasoline vehicles. So car manufacturers need to make more EVs and SUVs. (Unless you want BMW to cease to exist)

Btw, this post is a prime example of the toxicity of the Internet. I don't understand the psychology of people who wants to reflect negative emotions whenever they can.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
when is BMW coming out with 100+ kwh battery vehicle
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
when is BMW coming out with 100+ kwh battery vehicle
The iNEXT will have such an option. I don't recall whether that is going to be at launch or at a later date (it may not be known one way or the other yet).
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Is iNext gonna be the official name of the production car?
No, it won't be called iNext.
Someone mentioned iX, not sure if that is the final name though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post

This is a great vehicle with incredible features and incredibly excited to see this!
Congratulations! You found satisfaction here. These are new cars, designed, built and sold by new people, for a new kind of customer.

On the other hand, former BMW customers (like me), are abandoning the brand as fast as rats from a sinking ship. Why? Simply because the attributes that distinguished the brand from the mass market (understated and sophisticated styling, lightweight handling dynamics, RWD, high-revving NA motors) are absent in current BMW products.

If I was interested in a 5,000 lbs electric brick like iNext, I would probably be reading the Prius forums.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Congratulations! You found satisfaction here. These are new cars, designed, built and sold by new people, for a new kind of customer.

On the other hand, former BMW customers (like me), are abandoning the brand as fast as rats from a sinking ship. Why? Simply because the attributes that distinguished the brand from the mass market (understated and sophisticated styling, lightweight handling dynamics, RWD, high-revving NA motors) are absent in current BMW products.

If I was interested in a 5,000 lbs electric brick like iNext, I would probably be reading the Prius forums.
You mean 5000 like a Model S?

You are welcome to not come back to Bimmerpost, yet you keep coming back.
      02-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm rarely here. I wouldn't normally inject negatives into the discussion, but I can't help myself when the new crowd celebrates product like this. It's like viewing a train wreck in slow motion.

My forums today are focused on Ducati motorcycles and mid-engine 'Vettes. It's a slow day.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #20
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm rarely here. I wouldn't normally inject negatives into the discussion, but I can't help myself when the new crowd celebrates product like this. It's like viewing a train wreck in slow motion.

My forums today are focused on Ducati motorcycles and mid-engine 'Vettes. It's a slow day.
You have to celebrate progression and innovation and not be stuck in the 70s. This new vehicle is a very exciting release that places BMW as a true competitor in the EV market unlike the test mule i3 did. If you don't find that exciting, like a said before, feel free to move on.

The BMW crowd has been waiting for a while for a true Tesla competitor from BMW .

This "new" guy has owned 12 BMWs in the last 16 years.
      02-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
Mrgunfun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT

Hey I have a new name for this EV:

okNext!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      02-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #22
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
(understated and sophisticated styling, lightweight handling dynamics, RWD, high-revving NA motors) are absent in current BMW products.)
No they're not absent in current BMW products, they're absent in the world. I mean even if all the gas stations close down, I'm pretty sure a few dinosaurs would keep whining about lack of NA engines in BMW line up.

Also, I lived the first 30 years of my life outside of US. I've never, ever heard 'Lightweight' next to 'BMW' other than E46 CSL.

I think this misconception is based on the era when BMW first started to get popular in the US, the 80s. When all other cars in the US market were huge, heavy with steel V6s V8s, E30 came with 4 cylinder engines and small and light structure relative to other cars in the US market. The thing is though, in Europe, 3 series has never been considered to be 'Small, lightweight'. It was always a mid-size luxury saloon. At that time, Europe had legendary sporty lightweights like Renault 5, Peugeot 205, VW Golf which were all below 1500 lbs, so it would be ridiculous to call E30, which was about 2400 lbs 'Small and lightweight'. E30 was positioned in the middle, and it was competing with Mercedes 190E and Audi A4 which were similar in size to E30. And today, its size and weight is actually at a LOWER spot relative to the market than it was in the 80s. In 80s, An E30 was about 70% heavier than small-size vehicles such as Golf and Fiesta. Today, G20 is about %10-15% heavier than Golf or Fiesta. Also, it's worth mentioning that 3,5 and 7 series platforms have all been getting lighter in the last 1 or 2 generations.

So this 'BMW used to be lightweight' argument is misleading, 'Cars used to be lighter' would be correct. They used to be lighter, but you would die whenever you crush, your headlights were like candles, you had lead in your gas, and you would do 10mpg with a 200HP engine. Times have changed.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0