BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) some remarks after 2016 X1 presentation

10-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Verker
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: MB C-Class 220 T-Model

some remarks after 2016 X1 presentation

So, my BMW dealer sent me an invite to the official presentation of the 2016 X1 here in Vienna, Austria, and i had the chance to examine two X1 cars: One being a mediterranian blue (great color btw) xline x20d with auto transmission and brown leather interior including sport seats, the other a very basic black s18d with manual gear and standard non-leather seats.

While i am not the tallest guy (just under 180cm), the standard front seats are a joke - the surface you sit on seems really tiny, more like a japanese A to B segment car. Also the standard seats can only be adjusted in height, no tilting of the seats surface whatsoever. The back of the seat can only be adjusted with a lever, in other words in significant steps, not with a wheel where you can do this seamlessly or in very small margins. I had a hard time to find a convenient seat position in the car. Given that german car reviewing magazines whine about small seats in foreign cars all the time, i m excited to read their reviews on this one.

The sport seats are somewhat better, but still not what i would expect from a (with extras and taxes) 50 thousand Euro car.

While the sliding back seats (the middle one you cant call a seat, so expect 2 seats in the back) are a nice feature, you can slide from decent legroom in the "back" position to like zero legroom in the "front" position. I realize this is meant to be a feature increasing boot space, but the effect seems marginal there, while you basically renouce the back seats by sliding them to the "front" position. Dont expect them to offer you a "decent" plus an "awesome" legroom position, thats not the approach.

Talking about bootspace - i got no idea how they measure this nowadays, must be the same cheat as with VW emissions... there is no way this trunk is close to the one in a C-class benz, which is what BMWs numbers claim. The boot is rather flat, i was carrying a small paper bag, i put that in and had less than 10 cm remaining to the upper cover. Disappointing. Its also not too wide, but there is a rather large 2nd compartement under the floor, which you can fold away. That said you could now store a meduim trolley there, but since the lower compartement is less wide than the upper one, you wont be able to use too much of the given space if you tried to put, say, 2 smaller trolleys in there. While the numbers gave me some hope that we might be able to use this as a family car for 3, i had to give up on that idea after checking it out.

The quality of the interior is a leap for BMW, way better than the old X1 or even the current X3 or 3class models. I like the drivers view and touch of materials etc a lot, my only critique there being the area around the radio and climate controls: there is a kind of piano gloss finish in black, which it seems you will always get, even if you order the car with some aluminium or wood trims inside. Thats a shame cause this leads to a kind of unwanted mix of materials which could have easily been avoided. To some extend there is an issue with light colors in the inside as well - if you order your seats and (lower) dash in beige color, the lower parts of the front and rear doors will still be black - comeon BMW, even our old A-class Benz had light colors all the way down to the doors lower edges. Can you only do this on a 5 and 7 class?

Interior quality is complemented by really stunning looks outside, i saw a lot of the videos and pics before i saw the real thing, but it looks way better than i thought. Very much like a bonsai X5, very nice.

So why did i decide to pass on an opportunity to drive one? Well ofc this is a BMW, but the price tag including extras is insane: for a well equipped (leather, auto transmission, sunroof, some blingbling) s18d which basically is a 150hp front wheel drive B segment car they charge you over 47 thousand Euros including taxes. Gulp! Thats already close to a Benz GLC diesel allwheel drive auto transmission with 170hp - which is, to be honest, at least one class up.

Conclusion: I pretty much like the X1, if you are looking for a small SUV with stunning looks, good interior quality and you dont plan on more than 2 people using it, plus if you dont care spending on something really heavily overpriced, then this could be your thing. The reason i probably will have to pass on it - we would need another larger car for taking the family to holidays, the boot is not large enough for that. Since wifey just bought her new Golf earlier this year, well, you can imagine. I will wait for the new VW tiguan and check that one out as well, before i take a decision.

If anyone has questions or remarks, just shoot! Cheers, V.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Interesting, thank you.

Yes, MB are pricing the GLC very aggressively here in Australia, to the point I'm cross-shopping it and the X1. But I've driven neither yet, and will reserve my judgement until I do. I suspect MB's pricing might also indicate some discounting available on the GLA, but it's a tad small for my needs.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verker View Post
While the sliding back seats (the middle one you cant call a seat, so expect 2 seats in the back) are a nice feature, you can slide from decent legroom in the "back" position to like zero legroom in the "front" position. I realize this is meant to be a feature increasing boot space, but the effect seems marginal there, while you basically renouce the back seats by sliding them to the "front" position. Dont expect them to offer you a "decent" plus an "awesome" legroom position, thats not the approach.
Seems like sliding the rear seat forward will be most beneficial to mothers with babies in car seats in the rear.

Also it's helpful for families with children under age 10. You can slide the seat forward without crushing their knees and still have extra space for camping/whatever.

(My son is 8 so I suspect we'll be able to keep the seat slid forward for a few years for extra trunk space, hopefully. )
      10-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

went to the UK launch at our dealer on Saturday - they had 4 and was very impressed.

Im also 6ft and found no issue with the seats - and the rear leg room was also good. It is a much better spec and design the the previous model. So agree its a step up.

Im waiting for the new X3 but given the price hikes I guess that it is going to be over £40k when it arrives so maybe I will settle on a 2l petrol X1 for around £35k!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0