BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board ChatGPT and the Evolution of AI

05-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #45
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
We (humans) are collectively a moron.
Squirrel here. Just tryin' to get a nut.

But, yeah, you're right. This cat's out of the bag. And, it's pretty hard to take a step back and think "hmmm, is this good for humanity?" when you've got a family to feed.

The only real question left is whether this is disruptive or simply destructive technology? Sure, Henry Ford put the buggy whip makers out of business, but at least they could go to work on the assembly line. As technology does more and more, it's reasonable to ask where new jobs are going to come from. In time I think it'll be clear that there will have to be some sort of Value-Added Tax placed on automation in order to provide a basic income for all of the people displaced. But, we're not there yet and in the interim there's going to be some suffering.

Interesting that the CEO of Chegg mentioned AI, specifically ChatGPT, negatively impacting their growth, causing the stock to drop almost 50%. Yowza.

Last edited by Chick Webb; 05-02-2023 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
br438583.50
      08-31-2023, 06:46 AM   #46
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I wish they would stop referring to these things as "AI", they are not even close, its the hot buzzword. Tesla FSD/Autopilot is much closer to truth of the label then these apps are to actual AI.
I agree. Every vendor is marketing AI/ML, when at best they are using an expert system or heuristics. There is no “learning” going on. It is merely parsing input for later queries. There needs to be logic, deduction, comparative analysis. Using ChatGPT, it does an okay job of providing an answer from a website for a question you ask. So it may keep you from having to do multiple web searches to get that answer. However, how do you know it’s the best answer? You don’t unless you research it yourself.
Appreciate 2