BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 LCI msport stering issue - stiffer one side

10-20-2021, 04:08 AM   #1
mymad2
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 LCI Msport

F48 LCI msport stering issue - stiffer one side

Hi,

I am from malaysia and apology for my bad writing in english.
I recently bought my brand new F48 LCI msport sdrive 2.0. In my country we do not have much options for other variant only limited to 118 and 120, all sdrive.

The car is fun to drive except slight stiffer ride due to msport and RFT

Just had alignment done by the normal tyre shop. Now the steering is off centered and steering abit stiffer when turning right side (it is RH drive). Camber and toes are within specs and tolerance using Hunter Hawkeye. The tyre shop technician has done their best tried adjusting the alignment several times but later suggested to bring my car to the dealer for steering calibration as they don’t have all the equipment and tools to perform reset.

My question is - Is it really necessary to get EPS and SAS calibration or reset after all alignment done? even by the dealer?

My car drives differently now, ie cornering to the left side is lighter than right side. Also at low speed, ie while parking it took effort to turn the steering on one side. As if the steering response was off balance. I am experiencing constant arm sore because of this steering issue. Can EPS software reset resolves this? I am going to take my vehicle back to the dealer. Just need some advice before i proceed.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymad2 View Post
Hi,

I recently bought my brand new F48 LCI msport sdrive 2.0. In my country we do not have much options for other variant only limited to 118 and 120, all sdrive.

Just had alignment done by the normal tyre shop. Now the steering is off centered and steering abit stiffer when turning right side (it is RH drive). Camber and toes are within specs and tolerance using Hunter Hawkeye. The tyre shop technician has done their best tried adjusting the alignment several times but later suggested to bring my car to the dealer for steering calibration as they don’t have all the equipment and tools to perform reset.

My question is - Is it really necessary to get EPS and SAS calibration or reset after all alignment done? even by the dealer?

My car drives differently now, ie cornering to the left side is lighter than right side. Also at low speed, ie while parking it took effort to turn the steering on one side. As if the steering response was off balance. I am experiencing constant arm sore because of this steering issue. Can EPS software reset resolves this? I am going to take my vehicle back to the dealer. Just need some advice before i proceed.

Thank you
You must go back to the place that carried out the alignment and tell them of your problem. They did not do it properly, so they must do it again free of charge.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
Peter_R is right, it needs to go back to whoever did the alignment. This is not a warranty issue so if you take it to BMW, they will charge you. I replaced my rear shocks and springs on my X3 and then tried to align the rear the best I could without any alignment tools just so I could drive it to an alignment service station. On the way to the service station, the steering wheel was rotated around 30 degrees from center in order to keep the car going straight on the road. Once the alignment was done, the steering wheel was back to its normal position and the car was driving straight as it should.

If you continue to drive yours the way it is, you are causing excessive and uneven wear on your tires and my guess is if a friend of yours was following behind you on the highway, thet would see your car looking like it was crooked, either the rear end would be to the left or to the right of the front end. Looks very funny when you see a car like this on the road.

The steering wheel must be perfectly centered and held in that position during the alignment, otherwise it can move as they adjust the alignment points under the car and can cause the issue you are having. If for some reason you don't want to return the car to whoever did the alignment, then take it to your dealer and be prepared to pay for it but one way or the other, you need to get this resolved before you destroy your new tires.

In terms of the hard ride, check your tire pressure. I just test drove a new X1 and it rode very hard and was noisy, upon returning to the dealer, I asked them to check the tire air pressure and we found all four tires were over inflated by around 40%. Once the excess air was let out, the car rode very well and acted normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
mymad2
Registered
Rep

Thanks for all your advice. Really appreciate it very much.
You are right i must take my car back for the tyre shop guys to rectify.
The styre shop location quite far from my area, around 100km. In here we cannot find many shops equipped with hunter machine especially the latest hawkeye 3d with win align so leaving me no option but to travel far to find one.

IS there any different for aligment setting non m sport vs msport? I just realised the database that they selected is F48 X1 4x2, i guess its the normal variant suspension setup.

Also when i browse thru Youtube to find some videos on how you guys in other country did the alignment using hunter machine the techincian must always recalibrate and reset the steering, of which they did not perfrom such to my car. I even asked but they said it is not part of the requirement.

Steering abit crooked few degrees left now.

Going to revisit them next week to rectify.

I have attached my hunter wheel aligment snapshot. Suprisingly they are noit willing to proviude me print out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #5
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice. Really appreciate it very much.
You are right i must take my car back for the tyre shop guys to rectify.
The styre shop location quite far from my area, around 100km. In here we cannot find many shops equipped with hunter machine especially the latest hawkeye 3d with win align so leaving me no option but to travel far to find one.

IS there any different for aligment setting non m sport vs msport? I just realised the database that they selected is F48 X1 4x2, i guess its the normal variant suspension setup.

Also when i browse thru Youtube to find some videos on how you guys in other country did the alignment using hunter machine the techincian must always recalibrate and reset the steering, of which they did not perfrom such to my car. I even asked but they said it is not part of the requirement.

Steering abit crooked few degrees left now.

Going to revisit them next week to rectify.

I have attached my hunter wheel aligment snapshot. Suprisingly they are noit willing to proviude me print out.
I took my e82 to a local alignment place in the us. They did not have the tools to do all the alignment because it needed some etorx bits they didn't have. They adjusted some stuff but they made the total alignment worse than it was before. They didn't charge me so it was fine. I booked an appointment with bmw and they fixed it for about usd 200.

I asked for a print out and they did not provide it. They said they would email me, they did not.

I would say unless you have the tools to do the alignment, don't go back to that place for them to fix it, they will probably make it worse and you will waste a trip. If anything I would make see if they would refund you, or cover half the cost for the alignment from bmw.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
By the way mymad2, your English is very good. Where in Malaysia are you? Just curious as I used to travel there on business.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
mymad2
Registered
Rep

Hi Marty, i am currently living in Kuala Lumpur the capital city of this country. We are yet to open our border yet due to increasing daily covid cases. Do come over here when everything is safe for traveller.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Marty, i am currently living in Kuala Lumpur the capital city of this country. We are yet to open our border yet due to increasing daily covid cases. Do come over here when everything is safe for traveller.
Been there a number of times, as well as Penang and Johor Bahru and a few other areas. The equator weather was too hot for me but the food was excellent and people were friendly and your vegetation (trees, plants, flowers, etc) are simply beautiful.
Appreciate 0