Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Class Action Against E90 Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #45
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_S4
i am pretty sure you can get around 20K miles on these tire, heck I am already at 16K miles and there still plenty tread left
I second that, I am at 20K and had the same tire for over a year now and still have some tread on them. They would pass inspection if I brought my car in today. These are performance tires and I do not know too many performance tires that last long.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #46
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
You are a harsh driver with 6k and little tread left.
Harsh? thats harsh...

I do admit I enjoy my e90
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #47
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

no offense to the op, but as a business owner, and just a conscientious citizen (or i like to think ), i'm sick and tired of some of these class action lawsuits. I get letters all the time in the mail, from sleazy attorneys asking me to "just sign" if i want to be a part of some random class action lawsuit. Everything from blockbuster video to one of my Hondas to god knows what.

if there is more evidence that the tire is faulty, or not performing to specifications, or what was public information, then yes. if it was a known design attribute that they simply wear out faster, then no. I knew about the runflat tires before I bought.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #48
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
no offense to the op, but as a business owner, and just a conscientious citizen (or i like to think ), i'm sick and tired of some of these class action lawsuits. I get letters all the time in the mail, from sleazy attorneys asking me to "just sign" if i want to be a part of some random class action lawsuit. Everything from blockbuster video to one of my Hondas to god knows what.

if there is more evidence that the tire is faulty, or not performing to specifications, or what was public information, then yes. if it was a known design attribute that they simply wear out faster, then no. I knew about the runflat tires before I bought.

To be honest most people don't consider thread wear when buying the standard package. For example my stock 330i, has Bridgestone EL42s with a thread wear rating of 300. These are Standard Touring tires, not high performance. The "new" thread depth is 10/32, and I'm down to 6/32 after 5K miles. That gives me another 5K miles before the tires are legally bald. To me this level of wear seems unusually high, basically meaning that I will need to replace them every year.
I read on an infinity warranty that Bridgstone will replace OEM tires if within 25% of thread wear or within 1 year of purchase due to manafacturers defect or Road Hazard... Does anyone know if there is similar warranty for BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #49
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Whatever...I sold mine and got non-runflat staggered. Who cares about run-flat anymore since we all knew that it has low tread wear. You want the performance...you want the look and you also want the tires last forever? (staggered setup usually wears out the tires faster). Wake up.
      06-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #50
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
To be honest most people don't consider thread wear when buying the standard package. For example my stock 330i, has Bridgestone EL42s with a thread wear rating of 300. These are Standard Touring tires, not high performance. The "new" thread depth is 10/32, and I'm down to 6/32 after 5K miles. That gives me another 5K miles before the tires are legally bald. To me this level of wear seems unusually high, basically meaning that I will need to replace them every year.
I read on an infinity warranty that Bridgstone will replace OEM tires if within 25% of thread wear or within 1 year of purchase due to manafacturers defect or Road Hazard... Does anyone know if there is similar warranty for BMW?

you might want to get in the habit of checking your tire pressures

no way in hell you're going to burn through those tires in 10K unless you're a maniac, even if you hit the track frequently that's a tall order to cook off that much rubber in 10K miles

maybe your methods of measurement are way off

I've already got over 20K miles on my sport pack tires with plenty of tread left
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #51
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

no way in hell you're going to burn through those tires in 10K unless you're a maniac, even if you hit the track frequently that's a tall order to cook off that much rubber in 10K miles

I've already got over 20K miles on my sport pack tires with plenty of tread left
+1

Ward, didn't we already discuss this at leangh??

BTW, plenty of tread left? You only have 20K left on your tires!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #52
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The whole idea of a class action lawsuit for the E90's tires is ridiculous. First of all, any high performance summer tire will have lower treadwear than an economy or touring tire. Talk to most drivers of performance cars and they will tell you that you will generally need to replace your tires every year and a half or so (of course, this depends on your driving style).

The fact that it is a runflat tire has little to do with the treadwear rating (the nonRFT and the RFT versions have the same treadwear rating). Also, treadwear ratings cannot be compared between different brands. A treadwear rating of 140 only means that the tire will wear twice as fast as another tire from the same brand with a rating of 280. To compare a Bridgestone 140 rating to a Goodyear 220 rating doesn't necessarily give you an accurate ratio of treadwear.

My final issue is that the class action lawsuit typically results in very little return for the consumer, but it makes a few lawyers very rich! If you don't like RFT's, my advice would be to simply replace your tires with nonRFT when they wear out (or immediately if you absolutely hate them). But ultimately, it seems that the spare tire will become a thing of the past. Regular cars will be equiped with RFT's and some very high performance cars will simply come with a can of fix-a-flat and the expectation that the owner has roadside service.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #53
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

I check every 2 weeks (33 front/41 Rear).. got my own air compressor too. Remaining depth was measured by the Tire store when I had to replace one tire and report remaining thread depth for warranty replacement.
I don't drive like a maniac (I do ocassionally drive spiritedly) don't hit the track and mostly drive on San Diego frreeways... that's exactly my point.. these tires should not be wearing out this fast. As for people who say that "we know these tires wear out fast", well the rating on my tires is 300 A A, (EL42 17-in stock 330 non-sp), so something is not right here....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #54
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

like they measured tread depth on top of the TWI instead of from the bottom of the groove??????
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #55
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

Driving home with a flat tire may have contributed to rapid wear. running uneven tire pressures don't help, either.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #56
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

i just looked yesterday and the factory tire it has a tread life of 140. so about 12-15k is about right if you drive the car like the way its suppose to. a toyota sienna and a 3 series are two different cars, they weren't intended to be driven the same way. i dont understand why people b@#$ about these things. replacing a tire is like getting the oil changed. just suck it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #57
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom701 View Post
We are all aware of the short life span on E90's tires. As we also know, Toyota Sienna owners also suffered the same fate and they were able to band together and filed a class action lawsuit to force Toyota to extend the warranty period on their tires.

I am sure many of us here are getting very upset that we are being forced to replace the tires only after 12,000 miles or 1 year. :mad: What is the probability of BMW E90 owners band together and file a class action lawsuit against BMW?

Check this out. You might be interested http://www.sfmslaw.com/pages/cases.php?id=573

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #58
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I have never had any performance tire last longer than 20,000 miles RFT or not. What makes them performance tires is the rubber compound. Sure if you drive like a granny you can get 30-40K, but they are performance tires. Go to the track and watch a 40,000 mile tire disappear in 200 miles.

Sorry but class action lawsuit for tire wear at 10,000 mile for performance tires is a joke. All of you considering this, is this your first venue in a performance car?.............give it a rest.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #59
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
my only problem with these tires is that i keep gettin' fuckin' bubbles, other then that i'm perfectly fine with them.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #60
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
How about a class action suit, because BMW doesn't offer more variety in colors?

This is the most silly threads revived from the dead.