BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) How’s the x1 in the snow??

12-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

How’s the x1 in the snow??

So NYC just got blanketed with about 14” of snow. Never had the x1 in the snow. Do I even bother shoveling it out? I have stock rims and tires on my 2020 x1.
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

I live in New England and currently at about a foot of snow. I have a very steep driveway and the X1 can drive up no problem without even clearing it at all. That's with the stock Goodyear Eagle Sport RFT's too.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

X1 is capable and feels well planted in snowy/wet weather, which also depends in large part on your tire set up. Assuming you're parked on the street, I recommend digging out a path, especially with the large mound of snow you'll likely deal with from the snow plow. If you're trying to get out of a driveway, still do some shoveling to avoid clearance issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

It's pretty good in my experience. I used to live upstate and we averaged ~80" of snow every year, so I'm used to driving in a lot of snow. Just drove through the mountains in CO a few weeks back and got hit by a surprise snow storm. The X1 performed great, don't think I really ever lost traction. Around town is the same story. Also, for what it's worth, I'm on the factory Pirelli P7 RFTs with around 30k miles on them and they really need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep

Good to know. I’m also on the stock Pirellis with less than 7k miles.

Tks for responses.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 02:59 AM   #6
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

XDrive with winter Pirelli's, have had no issues in deep snow mountain drives. It is a joy actually.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
jishman
Rep
Drives: '23 x1 M Sport

Happy to hear the positive reports on OEM RFs. Debating getting Blizzaks and another dedicated set of wheels for winters here in Oregon.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
camryman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 M Sport

xDrive with Michelin x-Ice winter tires. Absolute joy to drive in the snow. Fantastic control. The LSD transfers power beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #9
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

2017 X-Drive Stock tires are terrible in snow - X-Drive system works really good as I witnessed my vehicle's sending power to rear wheels when the front wheels start to spin

Dude, this is BMW, don't put a cheap stock tire at least
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #10
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Its been good in the snow on the stock Conti run flats. I just replaced them with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, and am now waiting for snow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Handles well in the snow like everyone is saying. I love disabling DSC and goof around drifting. Feels pretty close to 50/50 balanced. Makes for fun goofing ...
      01-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Hoping for snow, hoping for snow.... my X1 is my first ever AWD car.... still hoping for snow... dear snow god
      01-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

any awd will generally get you going on snow with all seasons but aren't going to help you avoid a crash or overshooting a stop. Cornering and braking is where tires make almost all the difference. If you really want good snow/ice traction, switch to winter tires. Whether you really need winter tires or not will also depend on the topography of where you live. Lots of hills around my neck of the woods so it's good to have tires that have some snow traction (I run Conti DWS06) for the few times we get some snow in the year. I always toss a set of chains in the trunk if it might snow and I'll be more than a few miles from home.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport

Last edited by CeeTeeX5; 01-25-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
Its been good in the snow on the stock Conti run flats. I just replaced them with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, and am now waiting for snow.
Hey, noticed we're in the same area. Are you running the PA4s on the OEM 18s? Picked up an X1 for my wife recently and thinking about getting a dedicated winter setup for her car. We bought it was some Falken all seasons. I run Conti DWS06 on my X5 in the winter but think it'll be safer to get a dedicated set of winters for her car.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
rushdogmonty
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, 2.0 X-Drive

Smile

I have to say, I doubt that we have ever seen 14" of snow in Southern England. However, we had the Beast from the East two years ago which left a good 6" on the ground and immediately iced up. It was carnage around Poole (which is quite hilly) and most things with 2 wheel drive and particularly rear wheel drive couldn't cope. I was concerned at first because my X1 (x-drive) is my first automatic. Using a manual gearbox in snow and ice, as we know, put it in second and accelerate gently so to minimise torque etc. So I called my BMW dealership and asked for tips for X1 automatics in snow and ice; they said disengage the traction control pull away gently and then re-engage the traction control and the car will do the rest. And they were right, the X1 behaved impeccably up hill and down dale.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
jfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 e84

my 2014 e84 was brilliant during the beast from the east. Xdrive made all the difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just curious for those of you talking about winter tires; how much does it snow near you and how far do you tend to travel when it does? Where I live we seem to get blizzards so bad that cars are abandoned on the sides of the road, but then within a few days almost everything is melted and it's all gorgeous again. I'm hesitant to justify a winter set just because I know I'd have to hear those sticky tires on dry pavement more often than not, wondering if my concern is justified or if I should just go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #18
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Just curious for those of you talking about winter tires; how much does it snow near you and how far do you tend to travel when it does? Where I live we seem to get blizzards so bad that cars are abandoned on the sides of the road, but then within a few days almost everything is melted and it's all gorgeous again. I'm hesitant to justify a winter set just because I know I'd have to hear those sticky tires on dry pavement more often than not, wondering if my concern is justified or if I should just go for it.
When I lived in Denver I had all seasons. Yeah, it snows, but like you said, it melts fast and then its gone and its back in the 60s and 70s and your winters are used up quick. I'd be torn too. If security is a necessity, then winters are a must.
      01-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #19
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
When I lived in Denver I had all seasons. Yeah, it snows, but like you said, it melts fast and then its gone and its back in the 60s and 70s and your winters are used up quick. I'd be torn too. If security is a necessity, then winters are a must.
Haha yeah, I just made it halfway to Pueblo and turned around, moreso because of the traffic on i-25 than the snow though. Was thinking the tires over while making some donuts and I think I've decided I'll stick with all-seasons. These are VERY bald and I can get around safe enough by driving timidly. No kids or I'd probably get the blizzaks, I'd just hate to ruin them on dry roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #20
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
I find that my winter tires being regular tires and not the runflats both sound quieter and handle better than the stock tires.. and in the snow dedicated winter tires are a beast compared to any regular tires. Growing up I didn't have the car nor the money so I learned how to drive properly.. but winter tires are next level no problem. As long as the temps are in the 40's or lower, they don't wear any faster than regular tires.. so having them on for the winter really means years of use.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:42 AM   #21
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I have a dealer supplied set of BMW 17" alloys, including standard load Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 tyres (205/60x17), compared to the standard summer 18" alloys with Bridgestone Turanza 001 tyres (225/50x18XL).
With winter tyres I find the ride quality is much improved with the 17" wheels because the tyre sidewalls are deeper to retain the overall wheel circumference and thus give a more compliant ride.
Also, when the outside temperatures drop below 7c (44.6f) summer tyres, which have less rubber in the compound than winter tyres, wear more rapidly.
So, it isn't all down to whether, or how much snow you encounter, but also the affect of generally lower outside temperatures.
I fitted my winter wheel set late October and will leave them on until late March.
Finally, we had around 6" of snow here where I live in a hilly area of the UK on Sunday (Staffs/Derbys border) and driving 22 miles round trip to Ashbourne and home I encountered no problem whatever. I DO NOT disable the traction control, which is only really necessary if you are stuck in deep snow and want all the driven wheels to try and obtain grip to get you out of trouble.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #22
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep

Soooooooo, once again, NYC got hammered with close to 2 feet of snow! The stock Pirelli's aren't bad at all in the deep snow. I activated "Traction Control", didn't feel much difference with or without it to be honest. My x1 handled well on the way to the mountain for some snowboarding! Not bad for stock setup, and as long as you keep it under 40mph, you're fine.
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0