BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

09-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #89
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Sounds about right. You really should email Terry directly. Again... with the m35i pushing 22.8psi out of the box it is really high. I think on the X1/X2 with the "normal" b48 they are somewhere around 16psi I believe someone told me one time. With the engineering totally being able to handle 4psi over, this is why it wakes up these cars and bring their 228hp closer to 300. If you think about the similar engine already at 22.8psi (and even better with lower compression to push that high) We are already sitting at way higher boost. This is also why we're already at 300hp. We're most likely well past that sweet spot of exponential power vs boost additive.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #90
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

I'll email Terry right now and see what he says.
      09-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #91
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

he said to leave it in map1 and i said that it was my understanding that the default setting was map2 but he said that the default has always been map1, in which case they need to update their website.

anyhow, it's his recommendation that with no other changes, e.g. meth, bolt-ons, e85, etc., that map1 should be where I leave the device and that's exactly what I'm going to do. So in actuality, unless the car/device gives me trouble, then I guess I don't really need the BT device. I'll set it up, but I'm not in a hurry to if the default is map1 and that's where I need to be on premium 91 octane fuel and the car runs fine sans any other modifications.

thoughts?
      09-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #92
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

map 1 is how much PSI added?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #93
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I was going to suggest that we’re not running out of turbo but possibly air flow, exhaust flow, or fuel.

I just noticed our injectiors are the same as x3m so probably not fuel.

Maybe it’s the cat?

The turbo wouldn’t make 29 if it couldn’t make 29.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #94
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
map 1 is how much PSI added?
map1 is 3psi over stock. thing is, i'm not entirely sure the unit is set to map1 out of the box as the website says map2 is the default which would be 4psi over stock and i drove normally around town today and it did not kick me back into the stock settings.

also to note is that when i asked for clarification from the bms staff even they had no idea, so who knows what the hell the default settings are. they did state that using map2 with our engines would be on the "very safe side of aggressive."

i mean, the first-day takeaway if anyone is considering this is that it does indeed work without boltons or meth or e85. i believe, if it continues to work without problems, that it's fully worth the 650$ price even if it feels a bit OEM+ ish rather than wholly different.

Last edited by Davy Jordi; 09-17-2020 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #95
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Thank you. Dinan install and testing Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #96
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would err on the side of caution with the Dinan unit because there is no failsafe mechanism to which the unit can default if the parameters exceed the engine's capabilities as there are with the JB4 unit.

Start conservatively.
      09-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #97
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Dinan does max at 3 but caution is understandable.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #98
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

welp, BMS sent me another wireless unit via priority/express UPS mail and it arrived last night. it works, so the unit is now fully connected to my phone and i am running map 2. map 1 seems like it would be the safer choice even though BMS says map 2 is safe and it does feel it. i would have left it on map 1 if it weren't for the differences in the way the car drives in map 2, for example not lurching forward as if given an injection of nitrous or something in map 1. it was super sensitive to the throttle's touch and would unpredictably lurch forward even when progressively pressing on the throttle. in map2 this doesn't happen at all.

i am really quite satisfied with the performance in map2 as it feels quite similar to the performance in map1 but there are no lurches where it feels unrefined or unfinished. as if that map would probably work better for the more pedestrian versions of the x2 rather than the m35i, not that map2 was developed with our engine variant in mind, but it just feels like an enhanced bmw not a bmw on funky steroids as in map1. i definitely feel as though the purchase was worth it after experiencing the car in map2 and because i'm not going to modify the car further with boltons or fuel variants (e85 or methanol) i'm leaving it there as that's as far as BMS recommends without said additional components.

that's about all i have to update. rice_rocket88 not quite sure why your car couldn't even handle map1, but it's something that i'd definitely continue to contact BMS over because mine is handling map2 just find. keep in mind however, that i don't ever drive the car WOT that would potentially put it into safe mode (map 0, stock settings).
      09-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #99
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

You bring up a good point about maps and throttle.

I've been thinking about this with me and the TDI-Tuning system.

If I feel wonkiness, I might have to dial down, turn off, or remove the BMS pedal tuner I have.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #100
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If I feel wonkiness, I might have to dial down, turn off, or remove the BMS pedal tuner I have.
yeah, except in this case, map2 was much, MUCH smoother than map1. map1 felt incredibly crude and unrefined and map2 is a night and day difference. like, amazing transformation.

at first i described this unit as sort of oem+, but not now, now this unit really has transformed the character of the engine using map2.
      09-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #101
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hmm this is very interesting information. I did "turn off" my pedal tuner and didn't notice anything different... however I did not flip it up to map 2 because map 1 failed me. I am now of course running the custom map with the pedal tuner turned back on to more sensitive.

I getting a little curious about the differences you have seen Davy... but I can say that if you are driving it "nicely" then certainly I understand it behaving without any issues (you're never pegging max boost long enough). I would love to test out this driveability change. I can certainly flip maps on the fly, so maybe tomorrow on the way to work I'll mess around a little bit. Definitely be aware though, I purposely am pinning the throttle with WOT to get full logs on boost and timing, and all it does have to do is reach a threshold before it goes into safe mode. There isn't a warning that it is in safe mode, and it will reset once the car is turned off and on, so if you're enjoying the map2 daily then I say definitely keep it going!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #102
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah, i'm definitely not driving it WOT at any point but i am driving it spiritedly and it would be a marked and notable difference if it did trigger the failsafe and default back to stock settings and thus far it hasn't.

either way, map 2 is way, WAY more apt to run for my application on this vehicle's engine. map 1 was so unrefined that if things weren't to improve upon receiving the BT unit, i was going to return the entire thing.

edit: are you only driving it WOT for the purposes of sending information to BMS or do you actually drive the car WOT routinely? because if you drive it routinely spiritedly but not to the absolute max, a higher map may work out for you. unless i'm passing someone on the highway and the highway happens to not be gridlocked or even have normal southern california traffic, then i'll have maybe 3/4 of the accelerator depressed and that's an estimate, i just know it's never pushed all the way to the floor. i was always taught that driving WOT should be used for emergencies only and i still largely subscribe to this viewpoint as it does put a lot of strain on the engine. anyhow, if you're just encountering problems WOT, then yeah, maybe those are to be expected, but try out a higher map driving 'normally' however that may be save for pushing the car to its limits (unless that's your normal in which case you should keep your custom map).

Last edited by Davy Jordi; 09-24-2020 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #103
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I sometimes mat it but honestly don’t feel a difference between all the way and 5/8 or so throttle. Of course I do use the pedal tuner so 5/8 might be 8/8.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #104
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah, i don't have the pedal tuner because i don't feel that i need (read: want) it.
      09-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #105
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

What fictitious boost numbers do you all see through OBDII who have JB4 installed?

And what does the HP/TQ show on the info-tainment screen?

Assumingly both should be lower than stock from what y'all are telling me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #106
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

BMS removed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #107
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What fictitious boost numbers do you all see through OBDII who have JB4 installed?

And what does the HP/TQ show on the info-tainment screen?

Assumingly both should be lower than stock from what y'all are telling me.
i haven't checked yet. i drove the car to the ppf shop this morning and dropped it off. i'll pick it up tomorrow mid-morning and perhaps see what numbers the car is giving me through the infotainment screen as well as through the jb4 app. i don't have an obdii reader other than some cheap wireless unit that i only use to connect bimmercode with. although, yeah, clearly the car is going to tell you that the boost is lower than what it actually is because that's how the jb4 unit works... the jb4 unit is doing the fuel:air ratio thinking while the car is fooled into lower than actual figures. of course the jb4 has a failsafe threshold built in so you don't ruin your engine.

butt dyno is strong, for sure.
      09-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #108
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Buy a Dragy. I just did.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #109
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Haha I am still itching to get on the Dyno. So yes guys.. map 2 is VERY nice in comparison. It does almost feel like the BMS pedal tuner is installed/turned on. However .. the magic problem is 30psi. Keep in my mind my own Boost readings are based upon the JB4 logging app which should be corrected. Both in Map 1 and Map 2 when I pin the throttle as soon as it hits 30psi it goes into the failsafe mode. In terms of WOT driving, I've always believed you need to drive your car hard once in a while to keep it running in good condition and you shouldn't be afraid of doing it. What's the difference between WOT and 85%? it's 15% more.. but there's no hard stop when it's WOT like you're maxing out the engine within inches of life. My cars have always behaved great, no burning oil or smoke, and many have gone over 200K miles. So, depending on the day/time I hope to be able to give my car at least a good rolling 80% throttle ish to a WOT once in a while. I will make a note to try to pull up the dashboard numbers to see what it reads, or else I'll log it with my OBDII reader sometime.

So right now I haven't gotten a direct answer if/what there is different in Map2 than all the rest. Terry certainly said that hitting 30psi is pretty darned high, and I agree that is is. A couple decades ago I could push my Mitsubishi's up to 30+ psi on large turbos, but any of the smaller ones just don't do squat going higher but blow more hot air (which is why I think perhaps this turbo is maxing out).

I agree I would love to drive on map2 all the time, but I would hate it to bog out on the times I do hit wide open throttle, I think even an easy rolling into the throttle onto a highway you could probably hit 30psi by about 5,000 rpm if you don't let off. At least with the JB4 it just kind of jolts down a little (lowered boost all of a sudden). On older cars hitting fuel cut or boost limit is like hitting a wall, and you think you broke something badly!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #110
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i think out of the options available for this engine variant, the jb4 is the best of the bunch.

it's not perfect, but it does make a considerable difference in the drivability and liveliness of the car.