BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) X2 M35 vs X3 M Owner's Comparison

11-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

X2 M35 vs X3 M Owner's Comparison

As someone who owned an X2 M35 for just over a year and has recently transitioned into an X3M, I felt that the forum may be interested in hearing my thoughts on the subject. As an FYI, the views herein are my own and, in some instances, echoed by the other half. So, what you may find surprising is echoed not just by me.

Why the 'Upgrade':
I transitioned out of the X2 M35 for several reasons:

1. The Discounts on the X3M were pretty fantastic (10% off + 6K in incentives)
2. The trade-in on my X2 M35 was only about 3K in negative equity. I only put 2k down on the X2 (to cover DMV + first month + dealer fees)
3. I wanted to try a full fledge 'M' SUV as I felt like I wasn't getting the sportiness from the X2 M35

Non-Performance Related Differences
Obviously, there are size differences, but there's some things that are different that are worth pointing out:

1. The Comfort Access works differently. On the X2, the car unlocked as I was putting my hand onto the door handle. So I could literally tug on the handle seamlessly. On the X3, there's a bit of delay between touch and unlock. It's a much smoother system on the X2, which I found surprising.

2. The standard seats on the X2 have better side bolsters than the non-comp seats on the X3M. Again, another surprise. The X2 would hug me quite nicely with the bolsters adjusted. On the X3M, I regret not having the M Sport Seats

3. The X3M rides doesn't 'crash' as much on broken pavement. While the x2 doesn't send as much detail to the cabin (in terms of the road surface), it doesn't handle bumps with the grace of the X3M. I know people complain about the X3M ride, but they don't know what they're talking about. At least, when I compare the X3M (non-comp with 20s) to the X2 M35

4. Then there's a bunch of small stuff:
- Ambient lighting is brighter in the x2
- X2 is about 7mpg more efficient
- X3 has way more functionality in the iDrive - in order to get tire temp readout in the X2, you had to switch it in Sport mode
- The X3M does not have a formal Sport Mode in the transmission and the shifter take a little getting used to. I've put it in park while in reverse before

Driving Impressions Review
There's no denying that the X3M is dynamically superior. However, where my mild contention lies is in the fact that it's not that big of an improvement. Perhaps this says something to the capability of automobiles altogether where the differences between performance models are more or less incremental vs some sort of wholesale difference.

The X3M feels higher up (like it is). Sure, I don't toss about in the cabin as much with the X3M, given that it's flatter through the corners, but it doesn't feel as graceful as a sedan. There's something unnerving about driving an SUV fast through transitions and the X3M still highlights that trait.

The X3M does do this interesting 'party trick' where it oversteers. I know a lot of folks think it's fun and awesome, but I actually think it feels unnatural in a big and tall truck. Maybe I need to get used to driving this car a bit more, but so far I don't think it's as capable as I thought it was going to be. If you want more out of your X2, my advice is to replace the all seasons with proper summer tires.

Regarding 'Lag'
Perhaps the biggest difference between the X2 M35 and the X3M is the drivetrain. Despite being 800lbs heavier, the X3M can dart through traffic with much more relative ease. There's something scary about the X2's drivetrain where it lags significantly from the time where you put your foot to the ground and it actually going.

In traffic, this is really rough. Yes, you can put the transmission in 'S', but now you're sitting at a buzzy 4k revs through traffic. The Aisin transmission on the X2 is very flawed -- to say the least. The smoothness of the X3Ms drivetrain actually makes you more inclined to drive the car much more casually.

Verdict: Don't get into the X3M from an X2 M35 with expectations of it being that much more dynamically capable

Last edited by spdandpwr; 11-10-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 5
BenDiem76.00
Vervain396.50
CSBM52695.50
      11-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I really appreciate your input! Some days I sort of think about the X3M when I see one (also very rare to see). I know the m40i itself sounds pretty mean idling with the b58. I am quite surprised about the things you commented about. I guess the only thing I could maybe comment about now is that if you have bimmercode and can do some work.. you can drop the delay in the comfort access. A couple of times when I was "rushing" I managed to pull the handle before the unlock.. so I decreased the time delay and I don't think I have had it happen to me again. 7mpg, although not a deal breaker .. it is a lot lower! I am happy myself with the jb4 map2 and I drive it in sports mode all the time.. I actually do full on sport with paddle shifting a lot, but having a nice transmission in regular comfort mode would be nice!
Appreciate 1
spdandpwr441.00
      11-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I think the parts you mention about the x3 being more suv like is key. The x2 is barely taller than a gti while the x3 seems enormous to me.

Can’t argue the trans.
Appreciate 3
      11-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #4
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X2, TTS

Thanks for the impressions, I was curious myself, considered the X3M briefly as lease rates with incentives were very attractive. Interesting note about the ride, didn't get to test drive one, but I think I know what you mean.
Appreciate 1
spdandpwr441.00
      11-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Thanks for the comparison!
      11-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I think the parts you mention about the x3 being more suv like is key. The x2 is barely taller than a gti while the x3 seems enormous to me.

Can’t argue the trans.
and if you lower it like i did, it's about if not the height of a sports sedan. makes the driving experience transformative.
      11-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
and if you lower it like i did, it's about if not the height of a sports sedan. makes the driving experience transformative.
Really the only downfall is the engine / transmission combo. This drivetrain is WAY better on the base engine -- it's just not nearly as fast lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
It’s no different. The trans is just a beefier version. The base model just doesn’t have the power to highlight its flaws.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
natman316
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Thanks for the info. Considering upgrading to an X3M as well now that my X2 lease is coming up.

Surprised that the X3 didnt feel significantly better dynamically, I guess it is still an SUV where as the X2 drivers more like a hot hatch.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Thanks for the comparo: Weirdly enough, I felt even less of a difference between the X2 M35i and the X3 M40i; I test drove the latter initially, drove it again, then drove the X2 M35i out of frustration at my disappointment with the M40i. I was so surprised how much I liked the X2 over the X3, I drove them both again twice to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I then took it a step further and drove a Countryman JCW with the new B48; neither my X2 nor the X3M40i had adaptive dampers, and the JCW had them, so I wanted an idea of the difference. I might have swung that way were it not for the cargo space ( and the fact the Mini ran out of gas on the test drive, but that's another story) because I liked the Adaptive set up, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I finally bagged the X2 in back in March and other than the usual stuff we all don't like (Tranny/throttle lag) I'm super happy with it.

Of course, me being me, I'm eyeing the Next Big Thing already, but it's good to know there isn't THAT much air between the X3M and the X2 M35i...keep my wallet and my wife happy
      11-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman316 View Post
Thanks for the info. Considering upgrading to an X3M as well now that my X2 lease is coming up.

Surprised that the X3 didnt feel significantly better dynamically, I guess it is still an SUV where as the X2 drivers more like a hot hatch.
Yeah. I like the X3M, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's going to be as big of an 'upgrade' as people are thinking it might be. That was my experience. Honestly, if you don't need the interior space, I say stick to the X2 -- or, for your next car, go m340i. The m340i runs circles around the x2 m35.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

Well of course it does, the m340i has 305 more... things... than the m35i.
      11-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #13
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
Well of course it does, the m340i has 305 more... things... than the m35i.
I like that that..305 more..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

I also had the M35i; the thing that made me trade it for the X3M (aside from more room for child seats, haha) was the infernal transmission/engine hesitation at low speeds. I could not get BMW to admit that flaw or correct it through programming changes. Apparently it still exists.
Appreciate 0