BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 least reliable SUV

11-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
lhkshine
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

F48 least reliable SUV

Below video ranked X1/X2 as the least reliability SUV with big repair cost. What’s your thoughts on this?

Last edited by lhkshine; 11-26-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Tally100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i Sport Petrol

My 2018 X1 1.5 petrol has cost me £100 for a new washer pipe from tank to windscreen as it had split in freezing weather, apart from servicing thats not too bad
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 03:38 AM   #3
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Complete rubbish IMHO. They manage to reliably inform you that (eg) a Volvo XC40 which entered the US market in 2019 will have a precise $11,907 10-year repair and maintenance cost with the majority of that after the first 5 years, and a 36.25% chance of having a major repair in that time. How do they know that when they have absolutely zero data for anything older than 2019? Spurious bullsh-t.
Appreciate 4
      12-07-2022, 10:48 PM   #4
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Here's the thing: I have a 2019 BMW X1 that's now 4 years old and it's never been back to the dealership once for a single warranty issue. Ok it's low mileage, but still.... On top of that this engine is the same engine that's in the 4 cylinder Supra...Of course there's the 6 cylinder turbo. Toyota collaborated with BMW on those engines. Actually BMW sent the engines to Toyota and Toyota sent them back to BMW with a laundry list of improvement that were needed to be done before they would put it in any of their car. I heard that Toyota is using the same 4 cylinder engine in a lot of their GR performance cars. BMW is using the same engine with minor software tweaks in almost all their cars and a lot of their SUVs. I'm in my 60s and I have owned and rented (business and vacation travel) so many cars that it's too many to count. But I do remember the bad ones: Mazda: I had two, a 626 Chronos and a Protege and they were really bad. Another was my Ford Probe LX from 1989. I had 3 Nissan Maximas, a 2001 Maxima SE fully loaded which was totaled in an accident when I was hit by an 80 year old driver that was returning from a Christmas party and fell asleep at the wheel and blew through 4 traffic lights and hit me in the front corner of my car and swung me 180 degrees like a top. The car he was driving was a glorified Civic for the Canadian market: an Acura EL. The reason I mention this is because that car was so solid that it saved me any injury....in fact serious injury cause I estimate that he had to be doing between 45 - 50 MPH when he hit me and then bounced off me and hit a wall. The insurance company put me in a 2014 Maxima SL with the gated shift and that one we used to call the Friday night special because it always broke down on week-ends. The car even needed a new transmission after only 10K miles! Nissan and the dealership took the car back and put me in a 2005 Maxima SE which was an amazing car. I owned that car until the spring of 2013. Other cars I have owned: VW, Subaru, Honda (2) and many others. I can tell you that my X1 is the first car that I have owned or rented that didn't have a single defect! Mine is fully optioned and I even added a few after market parts to it. I had it programmed for more software options with a guy that came to my house and even retuned the engine for my power with a canned software made for that engine. If you add 19" aftermarket wheels with performance tires and close to 300 HP you get a very capable vehicle that's just a bit bigger than a hot hatch and just as fast or faster. So I have to disagree with their assessment of the X1. And just to put the icing on the cake. I'm in Canada and when I leased my vehicle it came with 4 years maintenance and Navi updates for free and a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. I was so impressed with it that I bought out the lease which by the way was 1% and now my loan is at 4.4% which is the lower than anything you will find now. I have a cool heads up display and the bigger 9" hi res display. The infotainment is one of the best I've ever seen. I bought the extended warranty for 3 more years and added 3 years maintenance for $500 which is the cost of 2 oil changes and includes so much more. That way it will be easy to sell in 2 years when I get the new X1 Performance Hybrid. The lesson here is that if you plan to keep the vehicle longer than 3 or 4 years outside of the warranty then buy the extended warranty and maintenance plan if offered so that if you do that you will have less money issues in the long run. How many people do you know that keep their vehicles longer than 7 - 8 years. Personally I have a few other cars in my collection including a Red 2012 G37xS coupe that is tuned and has never seen a single winter and has only 65k miles as in showroom condition inside and out.....I won't dare touch KIA or Hyundai yet the APA in Canada and Consumer Reports as well as other consumer groups will tell you those cars should be on that list. What about Chrysler and Ford...in the SUV market? Their SUVs Suck! All I hear from friends and neighbors that own them is that they're real cr@p!
Appreciate 0