BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Fake Watches -- Does it really matter?

04-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #683
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Yes, fake watches do matter.
It's stealing the design of someone else. BMW and Land Rover gets quite upset when the Chinese make exact knock-offs of their SUVs, why wouldn't the established watch manufacturers get upset if someone copies their design. Come up with your own design and work for it like everyone else does.

If you can't afford it, then it's not for you. To get something as a status symbol or to "fulfill" a need is the compete wrong reason to buy something like this.

I've had Rolex's for over 20 years and never did I once even think about the status symbol or the cost. I have always wanted one since I knew what a nice watch was. I fell in love with the design and the engineering and the quality. In those 20 years I've worn, bought and traded several watches. I've actually made over $10K in profits.

TBH: I have literally only had a couple of comments on my watches over the last 20 years (like, less than five - and several of those were from people I actually knew). VERY few people even pay attention to watches anymore.

Basically, I'm saying if you can't afford a real one, don't steal the rights of someone else's hard work and dedication. It's a cop-out to the max. Earn your way the way everyone else has.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #684
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The question is, who can service a 3135 clone? Most of these movements are in high end replicas and most watchmakers won't touch them.

I've had to service my 2836 ETA clones and they've been easy to service as parts and knowledge is common for the movement.
anyone who can service a rolex 3135 can service the 3135 clone. ive had one come across my workshop and even a majority of the rolex parts fit on the clone movement.

Its no different from the ETAs vs the Chinese ETA clones. Same movement designs, same parts used. just the chinese version has worse qc.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Z K1881.00
      06-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #685
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
anyone who can service a rolex 3135 can service the 3135 clone. ive had one come across my workshop and even a majority of the rolex parts fit on the clone movement.

Its no different from the ETAs vs the Chinese ETA clones. Same movement designs, same parts used. just the chinese version has worse qc.
yeah cause nowadays the cloners can tear apart and 3D model every component, movement an all, so what you're getting is an exact replica ... with the caveat that the tolerances, materials, assembly, workmanship, etc is not the same.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #686
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

That Breitling was in my future for a lot of years, Aviator, Aero-Engineer started on a slide rule. It stayed there for a long time till one day it wasn't. It was after all, just a watch. My wife bought me a Seiko Chronograph with circular slide rule. It means far more to me than a bauble I've bought my self.

The whole problem with fake things is China has made it a policy to steal innovation as if it was their right. Its nothing less than theft. What someone else chooses to wear is their decision.

I mind my own business as much as is possible regarding others choices.

I have a China made watch, a gift, but it's a China brand at a China price. It will be more expensive to have serviced than what it cost, I imagine. Another opportunity to find out how things tick....
Appreciate 1
TSM330i873.50
      07-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #687
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Wasn't the old ETA tooling purchased by Asian countries? They have.ability to make ETA clones essentially.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #688
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Nomos is a brand worth looking at, if Bauhaus does not steer you away. The movements are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #689
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Nomos is a brand worth looking at, if Bauhaus does not steer you away. The movements are excellent.
Stowa as well
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #690
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Wasn't the old ETA tooling purchased by Asian countries? They have.ability to make ETA clones essentially.
they do make eta clones. for some time now.

when it comes to watch movements, the standard etas are nothing fancy. its a 50year old design and easy to replicate if you have the equipment.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #691
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Your car at the track

if I HAD to decided id rather have a...
10k watch & 10k car than a 20k car
20k watch & 20k car than a 40k car
30k watch & 40k car than a 70k car
after the 25-30k price point you drop to outrageously diminishing rate of return on watch quality and material/complication where as the 40-50k car price point is the tipping zone from upper mediocre used stuff to excellent 65k+ price point cars.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #692
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
if I HAD to decided id rather have a...
10k watch & 10k car than a 20k car
20k watch & 20k car than a 40k car
30k watch & 40k car than a 70k car
after the 25-30k price point you drop to outrageously diminishing rate of return on watch quality and material/complication where as the 40-50k car price point is the tipping zone from upper mediocre used stuff to excellent 65k+ price point cars.
Very interesting perspective.

Funny thing too is that when you buy a new car, you pretty much lose a nice watch in depreciation very quickly.

Even if I bought a Honda civic, drove it for 5 years, I lost a rolex worth of depreciation. But if I bought a 5 year old civic and a rolex, and "lost" about the same over X years, people would think I have poor priorities hahaha.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #693
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

This is a interesting topic and subject matter.

I believe I commented several pages prior. But I will chime in again...

This truly comes down to personal preference if ever there was one! So I like watches and have @ 16. The most expensive being @ $2500. Ironically, I got it over 20yrs ago. A RADO: Tungsten Carbide with 14k Gold accents. I haven't worn that watch in over a decade. But it's still a very nice watch. My go to these days are 1 of the 5 NIXON 51-30 I own. They are totally my style! Big and Bold and Heavy! I also have a couple of Invictas (none are replicas of other brands) and a nice Casio solar and then some others. They are all between $100 - $700.
There is only one expensive IMO watch I've been interested in over the years: Breitling Navitimer Chrono that costs @ $5-$7k. I could have bought it and still can. But probably never will. Why? Watches don't have the type of value (not to be confused with bargain) that say, nice Furniture, my Home Theater equipment, or even Wheels on my cars hold for me.
Example: we've been in our new house now for about 1.5yrs. One of my first purchases was a $5k full leather cigar sofa and matching chair $2k.
I then bought a Italian leather modular sectional for our Home Theater for another $5k.
Heck, the furniture and decor in my Lounge is another $10k. Of course my master bedroom is pretty lavish as well. So it really is all about how and where you choose to spend your $$$$.
I feel like if I were to get that Breitling or some other high dollar watch, it simply would not give me the value or usage I want personally.
On the subject of replica watches. I personally would not think any less of anyone choosing to buy and wear them. I haven't and wouldn't. But that's only because I'm really not a fan of expensive watches in general. Hopefully I explained this in the way I attempted.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #694
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

You crazy. I'd buy target furniture before wearing invicta or Nixon watches. Surely there is a happy medium. For me I feel good about strapping on a nice watch and that goes with me all day, while the couch is at home. I have 20 watches or so from 1-7k and have a vintage 806 navitimer you mentioned. Outstanding piece.
Appreciate 3
TSM330i873.50
ASAP9969.50
      07-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #695
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You crazy. I'd buy target furniture before wearing invicta or Nixon watches. Surely there is a happy medium. For me I feel good about strapping on a nice watch and that goes with me all day, while the couch is at home. I have 20 watches or so from 1-7k and have a vintage 806 navitimer you mentioned. Outstanding piece.
exactly. cant wear a couch on my wrist

but wearing something that costs a cheap car on my wrist ensures i get to bang on couches

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #696
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I think bigger watch people are generally jewelry people and wear chains and bracelets and stuff which is different category of watch person.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #697
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think bigger watch people are generally jewelry people and wear chains and bracelets and stuff which is different category of watch person.
May have a point. I also wear a nice custom link chain that cost way more than my watches. I also wear and own several bracelets.

But you're my boy Blue. I'd never knock your lifestyle choices.

Haha! On not wearing the couch.

True. But I enjoy that fine, supple ass leather DAILY sitting and laying.
Again, it's all a matter of preference.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #698
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See... I would never Dream of having cheap furniture! So we get each other. Albeit enjoying and appreciating different stuff.
Now then... Time for a nice glass of Plantation.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #699
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
May have a point. I also wear a nice custom link chain that cost way more than my watches. I also wear and own several bracelets.

But you're my boy Blue. I'd never knock your lifestyle choices.

Haha! On not wearing the couch.

True. But I enjoy that fine, supple ass leather DAILY sitting and laying.
Again, it's all a matter of preference.
Yep personal choice. I also have smaller wrists than you.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #700
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
No fake(s).
Even if no one else knew, I’d be humiliated albeit quietly.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 1
ASAP9969.50
      07-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #701
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Again, this has been said time and time again... I have far more respect for someone wearing a nice $900 Tag that they appreciate than someone with a fake Rolex. It's a great budget brand with a nice selection of quality watches... if you can't afford something like a Rolex, then wait for the real thing in due time. I find it hard to trust people with fake stuff, what else are they really trying to pull off?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #702
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
I don't understand people that wear fake anything - watches, belts, etc. I mean what's the point? If the item is supposed to be for me, and I know that it's fake then that means I don't have what I truly want. I'd rather wear a real seiko than a fake patek.

On the other hand I've met people who will wear a fake ulysse or something for fun and when matched with a real brioni suit and some ferragamo shoes, they get a kick out of it, despite having a some genuine pieces like yachtmasters and royal oaks at home

And then you have a taxi driver that is weaving in and out of traffic in a car that smells like some foreign kitchen while yelling profanities in a foreign language, flipping people off with a fake rolex on his wrist - is he a poser or does this simply speak to his aspirations to own one someday?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #703
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I have bought and sold a lot of watches. I love them. But man, was it getting expensive to try out something I thought I would like, especially the $50k stuff. So I buy the high end fake and see if I like it and if I do, then I buy the real thing. Although sometimes the waiting list is years for the real thing, so I wear the fake until I can get the real thing. I don't pass it off as real.

I bought a fake PP Nautilus that I had been drooling over. With a 5+ year waiting list and $50k on the grey market, they are expensive, so I thought I'd check it out. I tried to fall in love with it, but never did. My wife said it looked like a Seiko. So it's off the list.

I bought a fake Panarei that I am quite smitten with now, so I will buy the real thing at some point (used if I can find one, Panarei depreciates a LOT).

I have a couple of fake Rollies, but haven't decided if I love them. I am on the waiting list for both and will buy them if I get the call, but may resell them if I don't fall in love.

A good to great fake runs about $400 and some of them are nearly exact replicas, including the movement. Makes it easy to figure out if I like the watch.

These are all the genuine watches I have bought and sold (that's about $275k):

Here's what I own now (the ones labeled in red are fake):

As you can tell, I love Casios. I am also collecting some of the new Timex stuff as they are very cool with their new offerings.

Bottom line for me, watches are jewelry and I buy what I like. I wouldn't buy a fake unless I intended to buy the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #704
kunzjob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harley Davidson

I bought a fake Rolex Submariner maybe 4 years ago. It was about $200. It served its purpose and broke within a year. I wasn't sure if I could tolerate the date "bubble" on a Submariner and get a new one or if I wanted to get a used Seadweller and get the date without a "bubble". I decided I HATED the bubble. Lucky for me, they reintroduced the Seadweller date without the bubble so I grabbed it! Scored it for $8,300 brand new from an AD. I absolutely LOVE the Seadweller.
Appreciate 0