BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Fake Watches -- Does it really matter?

02-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #507
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
If you had bothered to look at the M3 pages....
....you'd have seen that there is section called Off Topic Discussion Board and that the watches sub-forum is part of that discussion board.

All the best.
I have no interest in watches, but I'm okay with it being in an Off Topic section of this forum. My only issue is that I typically click the "New Posts" button whenever I return to the site, and the Off Topic posts are included in new posts populated. Ideally, there would be a way to subscribe to the niche forums you wish to appear on the New Posts lists.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #508
Evil_ss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328 M

I like watches; I even have a watch winder case to keep them on the go. Personally I wouldn't buy a fake one.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:48 AM   #509
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I have no interest in watches, but I'm okay with it being in an Off Topic section of this forum. My only issue is that I typically click the "New Posts" button whenever I return to the site, and the Off Topic posts are included in new posts populated. Ideally, there would be a way to subscribe to the niche forums you wish to appear on the New Posts lists.
I too that's a great idea. Let's cross our fingers....

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #510
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

In an earlier post in this thread, I railed against watch companies like AP who seem only to press for an end to the copying by bringing suit against other deep pocket companies. Today, I saw the ad pictured below. I don't know if AP brought suit against its maker.

I do know that's the most RO-looking-like watch I've seen that isn't an actual Royal Oak and that isn't an outright fake.

Apparently, folks have them. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/bul...ow-484156.html and http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/vin...-a-637883.html) But it most certainly is an homage Bulova offered, and presumably it didn't violate the existing IP laws at the time, or at least in the markets in which it was sold. (http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/06/...oyal-oak-myth/)

For those readers who want one, the model number is 4420101. I haven't any idea if any are available for sale today.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #511
Branda Ehrhart
Registered
Rep
Drives: SUV

Fake is fine. As long as it gives you the right time, it fine. LOL
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #512
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branda Ehrhart View Post
Fake is fine. As long as it gives you the right time, it fine. LOL
No denying that. If it "gets ya to the church on time," it's all good.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #513
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

how embarrassing if someone points out ur FAKE watch in a business meeting
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #514
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
I guess that just means there would be two gauche folks there instead of one.

Just kidding. I don't actually know how embarrassing that'd be if one hasn't made an "issue" out of one's watch beforehand. As I've said, I don't find the fake watch to be an issue at all. I find one wearing a fake and claiming it's real to be an issue, and the issue with that is that that the person is lying, much less lying over something for which telling the truth would have had no impact.

Indeed, telling the truth may have made the person and the watch more interesting to me. I'd want to see their fake, say Rolex, up close. to see how close/far away from the authentic version it is or isn't. I have a real Rolex, so I have no need to see theirs. It's just like mine. LOL

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #515
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Quote:
I guess that just means there would be two gauche folks there instead of one.

Just kidding. I don't actually know how embarrassing that'd be if one hasn't made an "issue" out of one's watch beforehand. As I've said, I don't find the fake watch to be an issue at all. I find one wearing a fake and claiming it's real to be an issue, and the issue with that is that that the person is lying, much less lying over something for which telling the truth would have had no impact.

Indeed, telling the truth may have made the person and the watch more interesting to me. I'd want to see their fake, say Rolex, up close. to see how close/far away from the authentic version it is or isn't. I have a real Rolex, so I have no need to see theirs. It's just like mine. LOL
All the best.
Not sure what you do for living.. but in my industry, I meet with a lot of high end clients and CEO/CFOs. I would be scared to pull a fake watch in front of them and lose my credentials. To be honest, buying watch is a great investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #516
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you do for living.. but in my industry, I meet with a lot of high end clients and CEO/CFOs. I would be scared to pull a fake watch in front of them and lose my credentials. To be honest, buying watch is a great investment.
I have yet to find a watch, other than a vintage watch that has already shown itself to appreciate in value, that even comes close to a passbook savings account in terms of investment quality and value appreciation. A watch is a great thing to buy, but good investment, not at all. I also haven't come across an investment advisor or financial planner who's even so much as hinted that a watch, no matter what one spends on it, is anything other than a discretionary expenditure. Not one I've ever spoken with has thought of watches as appreciating investments.

Can one buy a contemporary watch that will appreciate in price? Yes, one can. The watches that will do that aren't the watches I ever see folks in places like Bimmerpost discussing. Moreover, I can't imagine many folks building a portfolio of watches with the intent of using them as a part of their long term wealth building strategy.

Are there individual watches that offer a bit of promise? Yes, there are. Are they going to appreciate before they depreciate? In most cases, no. Are there rarefied exceptions? Yes. I'm suspect the buyer of the PP Super Complication, were he to put it on the market next year would realize a gain on the sale. Folks who bought a Piaget Year of the Dragon and today offer it for sale would probably see a gain on the sale.

As a personal example, I bought a PP Calatrava 3520 in the early 1990s. I paid ~$10K for it. Only in the past year have the resale prices for that watch risen to $10K or so, and occasionally I see them being listed at ~$12K.

That may seem like the value of my watch has finally recovered. It has not. Even using the most optimistic price point, one sees that adjusted for inflation, $12K today corresponds to ~$7K in early 1990s money. Had I instead taken my $10K and purchased an investment instrument that appreciated in accordance with inflation, I'd have ~$16K today. Of course few of us have investment instruments that don't outperform inflation.

The short is that there are watches that hold on to more of their MSRP than others, but the overwhelming majority of them are pure crap as investments, no matter how nice they are. That's not to say that the odd fellow here and there didn't "get lucky" buying a watch at a good discount and later selling it for a bit of a profit, but even there, I would bet that I can count on my fingers and toes the number of people who can do that consistently, year over year, and best the rate of return on something so simple as an index mutual fund or certificate of deposit. To be an investment, that's what one needs to be able to do.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #517
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to ask this earlier...do your credentials have something to do with watches, combating counterfeiters, or something of that sort? I don't see how your credentials will be lost because of the watch you wear, nor do I see how you'll gain any credentials by dint of the watch you wear.

For example, being a CPA and having an MBA are two of my credentials, although my specific experience managing successful projects is the most important of my credentials. Not one of my credentials that matter to my clients will be affected by the watch I wear before them.

Frankly, I've not in 20+ years had cause to "pull" my watch before clients, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've even had so much as the briefest discussion about watches with my clients; we've always had other things to talk about, both work related and non-work related. I have had clients say "nice watch," and I consistently reply, "Thank you." That's the beginning and end of it. Were I specifically entreated to and engaged in a watch discussion by a CEO/CFO, I'd have the discussion, but that hasn't happened.

FWIW, I sell and manage multi-year business transformation projects. My clients are Fortune 500 sized/annual revenue non-U.S. companies. Without exception, the decision makers for the engagements are C-level personnel or their direct reports.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #518
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

I have no respect for fake watches or the people that wear them.
It's the same as someone who puts an M3 badge on their 3 series.

I really can't take fake anything:
LV, Gucci, Prada shoes and bags
Fake jeans
Watches is the one I despise most.

As related to the post above, I feel a person can loose credibility with a client for having a fake watch. If he has high end clients, this can be interpreted wrong...as maybe he is trying to represent something he is not. Why chance the impression and leave it up to interpretation or worst, discussion if the client comments on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #519
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to ask this earlier...do your credentials have something to do with watches, combating counterfeiters, or something of that sort? I don't see how your credentials will be lost because of the watch you wear, nor do I see how you'll gain any credentials by dint of the watch you wear.

For example, being a CPA and having an MBA are two of my credentials, although my specific experience managing successful projects is the most important of my credentials. Not one of my credentials that matter to my clients will be affected by the watch I wear before them.

Frankly, I've not in 20+ years had cause to "pull" my watch before clients, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've even had so much as the briefest discussion about watches with my clients; we've always had other things to talk about, both work related and non-work related. I have had clients say "nice watch," and I consistently reply, "Thank you." That's the beginning and end of it. Were I specifically entreated to and engaged in a watch discussion by a CEO/CFO, I'd have the discussion, but that hasn't happened.

FWIW, I sell and manage multi-year business transformation projects. My clients are Fortune 500 sized/annual revenue non-U.S. companies. Without exception, the decision makers for the engagements are C-level personnel or their direct reports.

All the best.
Fake watch is a fake watch. I am against counterfeit and I don't tolerate.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #520
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post

As related to the post above, I feel a person can loose credibility with a client for having a fake watch. If he has high end clients, this can be interpreted wrong...as maybe he is trying to represent something he is not. Why chance the impression and leave it up to interpretation or worst, discussion if the client comments on it.
Wow...are the C-level folks you've met so presumptuous that they'd arrive at such a conclusion without at least asking the person if the watch is fake or authentic? Would the one's whom you've met even give a sh*t about someone else's watch in the first place? Are the ones whom you met really that shallow?

If one asks a person if the watch is fake and they lie, claiming it's authentic, well, that's one thing. Absent the person misrepresenting the truth, even if one knows it or doesn't, I think leaping to a conclusion about another human being on the basis of a watch is a more ridiculous than asking Liberace for advice about understated men's fashions. LOL

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #521
DB9506
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 M-Sport Mineral Grey

"FAKE" = impostor, wannabee, not the real deal, snide, trying to be something it's not, cheap copy.

Doesn't take a genius to establish the wearer's credibility. I'd feel very sorry for the wearer should I come across someone wearing a fake. Must be a lot of paranoid fake wearers out there wondering if anyone notices theirs is a "fake"!

To those who think the Bulova and AP watches are fakes, youre wrong. Theyre style copies for sure however they are not "fakes" as they are not pretending to be something they are not- theyre labelled correctly. Unlike the wearers of "fakes"!

Do yourself a favor fakees- save up, buck and look up then buy the real thing. You'll feel better for it (and the paranoia will be gone!). ;-)
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #522
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
To be honest i have had more issues wearing a real watch to a business meeting than fake, and I have done both. aka people accusing you of making to much money or spending to much money on stupid shit.

Goes both ways. Just wear what you want.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #523
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

I have been once a wall street guy and TO BE SUCCESSFUL in this business, it's not just being smart. You have to know how to present yourself. This includes apparel/accessories since that's how you connect with high end clients. 90% of the time you talk about their personal luxury life blablabla.. so if you don't know the industry, you are welcome to wear A FAKE WATCH and be that loser for the rest of your life
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #524
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Also, if you pay MSRP for the real watches, you are simply a fucking tool. watches have a markup of 100%+.. So learn how to leverage using that
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #525
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Wow...are the C-level folks you've met so presumptuous that they'd arrive at such a conclusion without at least asking the person if the watch is fake or authentic? Would the one's whom you've met even give a sh*t about someone else's watch in the first place? Are the ones whom you met really that shallow?

If one asks a person if the watch is fake and they lie, claiming it's authentic, well, that's one thing. Absent the person misrepresenting the truth, even if one knows it or doesn't, I think leaping to a conclusion about another human being on the basis of a watch is a more ridiculous than asking Liberace for advice about understated men's fashions. LOL

All the best.
If you're wearing a fake watch at a business meeting, I'd start wondering what else is fake about that person. Maybe their promises are fake? Maybe the results of the products they are pitching is fake? Maybe that Chiclet smile is fake also?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: fake watches are for fake people.

Furthermore, just the fact that you're wearing a fake watch is where you go into the "wrong". Plenty of people saying that the real infraction is done when someone lies about it being a fake. No, that would be infraction number two. First one is the watch in your wrist. You are already lying by wearing a fake without even opening your mouth.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #526
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
If you're wearing a fake watch at a business meeting, I'd start wondering what else is fake about that person. Maybe their promises are fake? Maybe the results of the products they are pitching is fake? Maybe that Chiclet smile is fake also?

Furthermore, just the fact that you're wearing a fake watch is where you go into the "wrong". Plenty of people saying that the real infraction is done when someone lies about it being a fake. No, that would be infraction number two. First one is the watch in your wrist. You are already lying by wearing a fake without even opening your mouth.
100%... and PLEASE DONT BUY A FAKE WATCH.. Just buy something authentic you can afford. CASIO/PULSAR/CITIZEN/MICHAEL KORS/FOSSI/ECT
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #527
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

Hmmm, some of this I agree with, I dont mind wearing some fake stuff, but mostly because I dont care about brands, I like clothes that fit well and accessories that complete my look, I could care less if a watch even has a battery in it, I care if that matte gunmetal square'ish piece matches my new super slim fitted suit....
I have a buddy who resales a brand of watches that are junky but because of their colors and style they pop, and working in vegas for the pool season I think they are a perfect fit, I match them to my shorts or shoes and I don't even care if they stop working

I am against fake attitudes so I agree if someone goes out of their way to find a fake Rolex that's attempting to make a false statement, and it's the same as sleazy hollywood people who say they are pruducers/models/talk themselves up and pretend they are super successfull all the time when it's obvious they are struggling.
So i agree. I wouldn't mind sporting a replica if it looked nice and the quality was up to my standards for that specific item.

I ran TE37's on an old track/show car I had, but I also recently recommended a set of replica TE's for my girlfriends car because since she doesn't track it and it's her daily I didn't see the need to spend $4k on a set of wheels when their only function was to look good lol.....
Oh and btw she knows they are replicas.Varstoen's.

Another thing is I hate overpricing done by big brands, I am a loyal customer when I find a good brand that makes me beautifull/quality products and doesn't try to rip me off.
Is a piece of metal worth $200.000 because it has a famous name next to it and has $500 bucks worth of instruments on in? Fuck no!!
      04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #528
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
As I've said, I don't find the fake watch to be an issue at all. I find one wearing a fake and claiming it's real to be an issue, and the issue with that is that that the person is lying, much less lying over something for which telling the truth would have had no impact.
By wearing a fake you claim that it is real, hold it out as real, allow it to be perceived as real, unless you only wear it around people who know it is a fake, and immediately disclose the lack of authenticity to every person you come into contact with.

The fake itself claims to be real by its stolen design and stolen label. That's the nature of the fake. If it was supposed to be an honest "replica" it wouldn't mislead with a stolen label.
Appreciate 0