BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 (F48) Drop Heavy Camouflage on Nurburgring (updated with video)

12-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #45
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

I am thinking of buying a x1 for my wife for daily use. It will be used probably for short distance only. Does it matter if its AWD or Haldex? And what difference does it make when it comes to the 'feel' of it?

Isnt Haldex just as good? (FYI, I never drove a countryman before, so I dont know).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #46
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Still, X1 shares the platform with 3series Touring.

We love our X1, inluding the design. We find it beautiful and with its own character.
However, I think my wife will hate me soon because I will not go for a Fwd platform. We both find that X3 was already big.
For our needs, was just the perfect Suv; never need more space.
LOL, why would she hate you soon? Because you didn't get the latest model? I am asking because I am probably on the same boat. Debating whether if i should get the existing one or wait for the new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #47
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

For low powered engines, FWD is not a problem. But this is not the case when the power is up, just poor dynamics will be the reward!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #48
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
And those buying X1's aren't going to be doing serious off roading, even if the US did get fwd it probably would be sufficient for 99% of the drivers purchasing X1's.
Agreed, we have a FWD 2007 Honda CR-V in my household (my better half's) and with the right tires we've never had any issues with light off-roading or wet, ice or snow conditions. Granted we live in Memphis, but for the lower half of the country AWD isn't always needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It will have Haldex, like the Countryman AWD, so it will remain fwd until slip is detected, just like the CLA45. I gather VW has exclusive rights to the latest generation of Haldex which does send constant power to the rear wheels (albeit an undisclosed and relatively low amount).
I must have missed this official information, if it is official, then I hate to hear this. But at the same time, a FWD vehicle can still be fun and entertaining to drive. Go take a Mini Cooper S for a spin. Doesn't the JCW now hold the record for the fastest FWD around the Ring?

Quote:
A FWD platform will not use the XDrive, but most likely Haldex.
It may be an AWD but is not the same.
Not to mention XDrive is a RWD biased system, which meand fun in the summer with a sporty attitude.
So I don't know what cracks you up...

And We do use it for some really off road tasks, especially in the winter.

Anyway, we will see.
It cracks me up that people are so rigid against FWD BMW's, like I just said above, some of these people that dislike the idea should take a Mini Cooper S for a spin, its a thrill to drive!

It will be a bummer if they use a FWD biased system and call it X-Drive, good point. Maybe we'll be surprised when the specs are released, until then being upset about an unknown future makes no sense at all.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #49
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by z19930612 View Post
Damn, old X1 looks way better
The old X1 looks better because it's as all the DNA of BMW
- Long front bonnet
- Rear wheels near to the back end of the car to maximize traction
- Front look taken from the 7 Series

The bad thing as everbody knows is that the old X1 as a lack of space for the legs in the back seats and a poor trunk space also. But it as such a ride...

This one will be less emotinal and more pratique to use i think

Fortunately they did not try to do a copy of that thing called Q3...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #50
M3111Z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
Debating whether if i should get the existing one or wait for the new one.
Me too, except I have one more complication that will probably take the decision out of my hands. The lease on my 335 is up in August and I wanted to do a European Delivery in September (so I can also attend the Frankfurt Auto Show). I just don't know whether the F48 or E84 versions will be available then, or maybe neither. It looks like the E84 goes out of production in June '15 and the F48 begins production in July. I've also read the F48 won't hit the US til 2016, but I'm hoping this isn't true and BMW will release the car worldwide in September. Hopefully, BMW won't have a long period when neither of the two models can be ordered, where dealers are just clearing out the stocks of E84s.

Given the choice, I'd probably prefer the new X1. I like to have the latest and greatest, and the new one will have the latest technology, presumably including the new iDrive 4.2, which looks much improved from the 4.1 on my car (and the current X1). I've grown to really like the head-up display and top-view camera on my 335, but the current X1 doesn't have these. I also think I'll like the looks of the new X1 better. I'm not that concerned about going from AWD to the Haldax version, since where I live (near Portland, OR) we only get maybe one serious snow event a year if that.

On the other hand, there's one huge factor favoring the E84: hydraulic steering. I had an E90 3-series before my F30 3 series, and the F30 is a big improvement in every way except one, the one thing that used to set BMW's apart from all its competitors: BMW steering. There is some appeal to having the last example of a car with true BMW steering.

If neither car is going to be available for an ED in September, I'm really not sure what I'll do.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #51
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3111Z View Post
I'm not that concerned about going from AWD to the Haldax version, since where I live (near Portland, OR) we only get maybe one serious snow event a year
That's the rub, Haldex (FWD) systems are essentially FWD the other 364 days of the year.
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #52
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
LOL, why would she hate you soon? Because you didn't get the latest model? I am asking because I am probably on the same boat. Debating whether if i should get the existing one or wait for the new one.
No, no, not because of that. She loves her X1 so much that she wants to stick with this car. She loves the dimensions, the seat positions, everything.
The problem is, when the time to replace will come, I will not go for a FWD with Haldex; and I will in trouble.

I am seriously thinking to order now the actual model with M package and keep it until...

If not, we will probably keep this one. It is 2 and half years old and has almost 40K.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #53
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, no, not because of that. She loves her X1 so much that she wants to stick with this car. She loves the dimensions, the seat positions, everything.
The problem is, when the time to replace will come, I will not go for a FWD with Haldex; and I will in trouble.

I am seriously thinking to order now the actual model with M package and keep it until...

If not, we will probably keep this one. It is 2 and half years old and has almost 40K.
I am not too technical but whats the matter with FWD with Haldex? isnt it AWD end of the day?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr
Quote:

I am not too technical but whats the matter with FWD with Haldex? isnt it AWD end of the day?
Traditional awd for BMW means a full time awd setup sending 40% to the front and 60% to the rear. When slip is detected, they can send nearly all of the power to the front or back as needed.

Haldex has many versions, but most are 100% to the front until slip is detected and then they can send a max of 60% to the rear. This is the version MB is using on the CLA and GLA45. So at full slip, they run the static setup of a traditional full time awd setup.

VW appears to be the only ones with access to the latest Haldex version which sends an indisclosed (likely a low percentage) of power to the rear and can send "more than 90%" to the rear in slip conditions.

Even the latest versions, like on the Mk7 Golf R result in more understeer than a rear wheel derived awd setup. Most owners likely don't care and the packaging efficiencies offered by going to a Haldex setup will benefit the next X1. But enthusiasts will miss the more aggressive setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #55
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

For probably the most direct comparison of the two systems, test drive an S3 back to back with an S4 (with the performance diff for maximum unfairness). A3/A4 comparisons will work too.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #56
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
It's been built on BMW's FWD UKL platform and should be offered in both FWD and AWD models.
LOL. Cue the "RWD or die" comments, even though nobody ever hooned an X1.

Or... DID THEY!?!?!?
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #57
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
That's the rub, Haldex (FWD) systems are essentially FWD the other 364 days of the year.
Do you know of the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle? That you cannot ascertain a quantum particle's momentum and position at the same time?

The Haldex system is kind of like the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in many ways. As soon as you try to figure out if it's ONLY driving the front wheels by giving it gas, it becomes AWD. Only when the car is coasting, when the momentum of the car is not changing, is the system in FWD.

YES the car will understeer like a FWD/AWD car when you give it gas in a corner, but that's only because at that point, the car becomes AWD, not FWD. And most, if not all AWD systems, will understeer in a corner, under power. That is, unless the AWD system manages to disengage it's front clutch to send 100% of the torque to the rear BEFORE understeering.

OK, essentially what I'm trying to say is - on a day to day basis, for the average customer, it shouldn't matter if the car is derived from a FWD or RWD chassis. If 364 days out of a year you couldn't tell what wheel-drive a car is, I think the engineers are doing a great job.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #58
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
It's been built on BMW's FWD UKL platform and should be offered in both FWD and AWD models.
LOL. Cue the "RWD or die" comments, even though nobody ever hooned an X1.

Or... DID THEY!?!?!?
Of course we have. It's got more than one driven wheel and an N55. Think of it as close as we can get in the US to a 335i wagon with an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #59
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I like what I see
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #60
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

It is ok for BMW to make FF or SUVs but just what is the point of testing the X1 in Nurburgring? Why is it even relevant?

Just test it at the local parking lot, a typical school run routing or camp site. Make sure it has good ground clearance for typical curbs and rides good.
      03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #61
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I don't think it matters whether this car is front wheel drive with haldex or not,this isn't some tire chewing monster of a car here,we're talking about a bread and butter family hauler here and this is going to make bmw more rich....and I'm sure the bean counters just love cut drive shafts in bits....it's all about money there friends and one day once they have banked enough they will make a car the enthusiasts will put a second-mortgage on there homes for!

Stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #62
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Exterior wise, I think it won't depart too dramatically from the current X1 but the interior will for sure be improved dramatically.
      03-18-2015, 03:02 AM   #63
TylerC
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi sedan

Wife has a cooper s countryman awd and I have an e90 335xi. Both are fun to drive, and honestly with the low power these cars will most likely have it shouldn't be an issue.

I can "hoon" the Xi much easier, and it will power on oversteer after which I can feel the front engaging to give traction, but the rear is always engaged (yes 100% of the time, the variable is only in how much the computer engages the clutch for the front shaft, it's not 100% variable like bmw claims in marketing)

In the cooper I can do a mini (heh) doughnut in the snow with heavy throttle, it never feels fwd but also never rwd since the front it always on. If it turned out to be as engaging as the mini to drive I hardly think that would be horrible.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #64
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

I was thinking on replacing my E90 LCI 320d with an X3, this post has just made me change my mind, I want an X1 20d xdrive now! thanks for sharing this!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #65
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
As the previous spy photos previewed, the F48 X1 front end looks more sport-utility than the current X1 and the high cutline of the current X1 now meets the kidney grilles, a trend we're seeing in all future models we've spied (G11 7 Series / G30 5 Series).
I wonder, where are those guys that explained to everyone in here how the ugly line in the middle of the hood is there because of the pedestrian protection and European rules. Funny, just BMW cared so much about the poor pedestrians, while others were doing just fine with a more elegant and discreet design...

What about now?

Obviously it could be done, but the design team didn't care...
Let the mediocre go and step up to the level of the badge!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #66
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added video from the Nurburgring:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0