BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) RECALL B840822 Service Action

11-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
shadows
Rep
Drives: x2 m35i

Question RECALL B840822 Service Action

Just had some routine maintenance done on my 2019 m35i and when going through the notes before handing over the keys the tech said there was a recall which I thought was strange as I never heard anything about it before. The tech said it had to do with the sunroof control unit? I have noticed my sunscreen sometimes not remaining at the set position from the last time i was in the car. But I could not think of anything else.

Then I see this on the Service Details:

RECALL B840822 Service Action: Programming the Telematics Control Unit - 3G Sunset B84 08 22 per 840822
Updated ilevel. Encodded tcu per bmw guidelines

$0.00

Based on the description I am assuming they upgrade the cell connectivity for the in car services but I could not find anything official.

Annoying part was that it reset all customization in the head unit, radio presets, presets for the 1-8 buttons, etc. but otherwise I cannot notice a change.

Anyone know what this about? I found one other forum that had mentioned it but couldn't find anything concrete.

https://www.******.com/threads/fw-up...ta.4991/page-6
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #2
shadows
Rep

Seems like it is related to this NHTSA communication:

July 1, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SIB840622
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, EQUIPMENT

NHTSA ID Number: 10218420

Manufacturer Communication Number: SIB840622

Summary

The 3G network in the US has been shut down. This means that only the 4G network will be available. In the 4G network, voice calls will be transferred via Voice over LTE (VoLTE) function. For this purpose the SIM card must perform an IMS registration in the mobile communication network. Due to a production error, the telematics control units were delivered without an IMS configuration. The Connected Drive voice services (Concierge Call, BMW Assistance and emergency call voice) can no longer be used regionally in the US in vehicle with telematics control units ATM-1 and TCB-4G. Voice control of the vehicle and all other telephone (paired mobile devices) functions are not affected. Emergency call location data is unaffected.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/B...Communications
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 11:17 PM   #3
chelsea63
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series x228i

" Annoying part was that it reset all customization in the head unit, radio presets, presets for the 1-8 buttons, etc. but otherwise I cannot notice a change."

You can export/import driver profiles via the usb port. Something i've learned the hard way after getting my car back after a recall in Feb this year and then spending an hour in the dealership parking lot re-programming stuff back !!
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 07:16 AM   #4
shadows
Rep

BMW should have done that for free when doing the service (how hard would it be for them to have a USB that they could use in the shop?
OR
Look up your VIN after making an appointment and either call the customer to inform them of the recall or service that will reset the head unit and I could leave the backup-ed USB at home and deal with it when...

With soo much technology in the car it amazes me that they cannot do things in advance to prevent annoyances like this.

I also spent time in the parking lot yesterday reprogramming XM radio stations for the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 08:48 PM   #5
chelsea63
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series x228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows View Post
BMW should have done that for free when doing the service (how hard would it be for them to have a USB that they could use in the shop?
OR
Look up your VIN after making an appointment and either call the customer to inform them of the recall or service that will reset the head unit and I could leave the backup-ed USB at home and deal with it when...

With soo much technology in the car it amazes me that they cannot do things in advance to prevent annoyances like this.

I also spent time in the parking lot yesterday reprogramming XM radio stations for the drive home.
Exactly. I did after the fact let them know that I was not happy...

"Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback and I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction.
Unfortunately when updating the software and programming the car it will reset saved settings.
I sincerely apologize that this was not communicated too you prior to the recall being completed.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist."
Appreciate 0