BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Windscreen fogging during cold/wet days

04-18-2021, 03:32 AM   #1
normanho23
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Windscreen fogging during cold/wet days

Is there any way to disable the air vent at the top of the dashboard?

The cold air from the AC vent is causing lots of fogging or condensation at my front windscreen exterior.
Stay in Singapore and cold AC is on all the time. Just a matter of temp but usually between 20-22 celsius . Any temp higher will be too hot for driver and passenger.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

There is of course the front windshield defogger designed just for this issue.

Additionally, be sure to keep the inside of your windshield nice and clean. A dirty windshield lends itself to fogging up.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
There is of course the front windshield defogger designed just for this issue.

Additionally, be sure to keep the inside of your windshield nice and clean. A dirty windshield lends itself to fogging up.
The OP was saying that the outside surface fogs not the inside, and the wipers could take care of that, additionally the HVAC controls when in manual will let you direct air to middle or low without the windshied vents.

So I'm a bit unclear why the OP hasn't used either of those methods to reduce the fogging.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
normanho23
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

I used rain-X 2in1 cleaner to clear the windscreen exterior. This could be the reason for the fogging.

Have used cerium oxdie power to do a thorough cleaning of the windscreen and to remove the rain-x coating. Hopefully it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:38 AM   #5
lwsung1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanho23 View Post
I used rain-X 2in1 cleaner to clear the windscreen exterior. This could be the reason for the fogging.

Have used cerium oxdie power to do a thorough cleaning of the windscreen and to remove the rain-x coating. Hopefully it works.
I just get my new car few days ago. I experienced the same problem as yours which had fogging on my windscreen exterior. May i know whether you have the problem solved?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanho23 View Post

I’ve found rain-x to be worthwhile on the side windows, but would never use it on the windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwsung1989 View Post
I just get my new car few days ago. I experienced the same problem as yours which had fogging on my windscreen exterior. May i know whether you have the problem solved?
As mentioned in previous posts…if the condensation is on the exterior…use your windshield wipers. You should have a single wipe feature by just pressing downward on the stalk.

You can also use the air direction button to direct air toward the passengers or floor vents (or both)…and NOT have it direct air toward the windshield. Unless you have a different IHKA control panel…there is a button that allows you to select which vents you want the air to blow from…defrost (windshield), dash vents, and floor vents. You can have the air directed to one, a combination of two, or a mix of all three (this info is in your owners manual…which you also have a built in owners manual in iDrive):
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-23-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I’ve found rain-x to be worthwhile on the side windows, but would never use it on the windscreen.
Each to their own! It is made specifically for windscreens.

RAIN REPELLENT
Rain-X Rain Repellent dramatically improves wet weather driving visibility. Simply apply the treatment to exterior glass and watch the raindrops fly off your windscreen while driving along.

https://rainx.co.uk/
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Each to their own! It is made specifically for windscreens.

RAIN REPELLENT
Rain-X Rain Repellent dramatically improves wet weather driving visibility. Simply apply the treatment to exterior glass and watch the raindrops fly off your windscreen while driving along.

https://rainx.co.uk/
I know what it says on the bottle but, when I've used it on various car windscreens I've found that after a while it starts to streak when the wipers are activated. As a result, I've had to use a glass cleaner (Autoglym) to remove it.
As I said in my previous post, it's good on the side windows and I've also used it satisfactorily on the exterior tailgate glass, because that wiper doesn't get the same level of use as those on the front screen.
If you're happy to use it on the front screen, that's great, but not for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I know what it says on the bottle but, when I've used it on various car windscreens I've found that after a while it starts to streak when the wipers are activated. As a result, I've had to use a glass cleaner (Autoglym) to remove it.
As I said in my previous post, it's good on the side windows and I've also used it satisfactorily on the exterior tailgate glass, because that wiper doesn't get the same level of use as those on the front screen.
If you're happy to use it on the front screen, that's great, but not for me.
OK. You did not say that you had used it and it gave streaky results! You said you would not use it on the windscreen without qualifying the statement. Now I understand. That was the reason for my first response.
I do not use it myself. It is praised on other forums that is why I mentioned it.

I had the exterior of my car treated with https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/ products including the glass and found it worked OK. Like many of these products they are not a final solution, they just help.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 12-25-2021 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0