BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos When will you buy a Tesla?

Closed Thread

12-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #111
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino GT View Post
Maybe never. The body has changed a bit over the years but they are still ugly square boxes to me . Every time I see one I think of Lada.
I'm pretty sure you've either 1) never seen a Tesla or 2) never seen a Lada.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 3
thestimp966.00
Sedoy675.50
chris7197273.00
      12-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #112
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalRenegade View Post
There are better EVs now,

Performance: Porsche Taycan, and other German brands are catching on
Everyman cars : Hyundai Ioniq, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, etc

Why overpay for poor quality?
That pesky range issue. You know, the one many people on here have already said is a main reason for NOT owning an EV. Tesla is so far ahead of everyone else who laughed at him when he started this venture.

You would think, with all of their market experience and supplier clout, that they would be able to easily surpass the capabilities of a startup, but they haven't... and it's not even close.

FWIW, I was a Tesla trash-talker since their inception. A friend of mine was an early owner and the build quality was laughable. Fast forward several years and I am now seriously considering one as my next vehicle. I don't see myself going back to a crowded train commute for several years, so if I'm back in an office, it's likely I'll be driving there in horrible traffic. A Tesla makes PERFECT sense for that type of use.

TL;DR - My next car will be a Model Y DM Performance

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #113
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Looking at new daily drivers for next year. I REALLY want to want a Model 3, but I'd want the dual motor and self driving, and convincing myself to pay $58,000 for what is essentially a $40,000 car with another motor and brain is....a tough pill to swallow.
Never price out a Jeep Wrangler... or a BMW... or a Porsche... or any other car with options.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #114
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Never price out a Jeep Wrangler... or a BMW... or a Porsche... or any other car with options.
I actually like cars that don't have many options like the Model 3. You basically get a choice of "engines" and then just color and wheel options that's pretty much it. My fucking truck has soooooooo many options it's mind numbing. I guess it's useful for some, but when you are trying to find a used one with certain options it becomes a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #115
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I actually like cars that don't have many options like the Model 3. You basically get a choice of "engines" and then just color and wheel options that's pretty much it. My fucking truck has soooooooo many options it's mind numbing. I guess it's useful for some, but when you are trying to find a used one with certain options it becomes a nightmare.
Completely agree. I think complaining about the options on a Tesla is just about the silliest criticism you can lob.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #116
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I have. The difference is typically a lot more significant.
      12-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #117
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Never.....I like the visceral sound of an ICE.
Damn, I don't even like paddle shifters, love rowing my own gears.
Old skool all the way.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #118
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

If I am going somewhere, I prefer to drive until I get there. If I need to get gas on the way, it takes 10 minutes including getting off and on the highway. Last year, I drove somewhere 600 miles away; the year before it was over 700. Other trips have been longer. I'll switch when a recharge is as fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:31 PM   #119
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm sure there will be better EVs coming out. The Mustang MachE is interesting, however the Taycan? It's over $100k where a brand new model 3 starts at like $35k, even the Model S starts at just under $70k with like double the range and slightly lower 0-60 than the base $100k Taycan. The Hyundai is a hybrid and the Bolt and Leaf... well just look at them, you also can't compare the speed, technology or charging network between the two. That being said the Bolt is probably the closest competitor to a Model 3 right now IMO. If my mom wanted an EV I would tell her to get a Bolt.

For me if buying new right now the Model 3 is cheaper, faster, better looking (subjective) has better tech and a better charge network behind it than the Bolt. Sorry, but people don't just put up with the actual issues Tesla has because they are all fanbois. They do it because when you compare everything they are IMO the best EVs out there right now for the $$ EVEN with their flaws.

Also Tesla made EVs "cool". I mean who the fuck wants a freaking Leaf or a Prius or that weird Honda thing that probably like 5 people bought, 4 of whom probably lived in a tree. EVs were reserved for tree hugging hippies. Tesla turned that shit around and made it to where normal people wanted a Tesla. Now that they have done the hard part all the other big boys want to jump on the bandwagon and to be honest.... I don't know why they haven't already eaten Teslas lunch.

On the flip side I think Tesla has been super focused on the battery tech, their supercharger network and their software, while ignoring many of the CAR issues such as the build quality, customer service, service center experience etc. I think this has put them way ahead of the big boys when it comes to range and tech, but as soon as they catch up I think Tesla could be in trouble. But WTF do I know.
I think the quality and the design turns me off, the range is not even that reliable especially with the time to charge and the availability of the super-charger stations. If I'm going on long trips, I'd go with the good ol combustion engine until we've established a more robust network.

Tesla may have made EVs cool, now the Europeans will make it sexy, the new Audi E-tron GT for instance, my goodness.
The I4 concept, stunner.
Porsche Taycan, performance and prestige.
Maybe Tesla's new models will look cooler, but again, I will not trust their quality until they'be been in the car game for much much longer.
Appreciate 1
StatenEye525.50
      01-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #120
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

If they repackaged or reengineered the 3 dual motor performance for better looks and range..... I'd consider
But those are big ifs
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #121
gcbcbc
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 440i gc

When I have my own home, I think I would seriously consider a Tesla. It would be sweet to be able to charge up at home and run errands with instant torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:25 PM   #122
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I'm not against Tesla, I'd love to have one but they don't make a vehicle I want/can afford. When they come out with a competitor to my f32 that isn't ugly like the model 3 I'd consider it.
      01-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #123
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I'll buy a Tesla when they have combustible engines lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:11 AM   #124
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
I'll buy a Tesla when they have combustible engines lol
Right now only the battery is combustible
Appreciate 2
E46ZHP254.00
Vivek.1363.50
      01-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #125
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
When would any of you buy a Tesla? What needs to happen for that to happen?

For me its when the price goes down and the weight of the vehicle goes down to be similar to gas cars. I have no brand loyalty for any brand.
Would go with a diff brand when i go electric. Something better lookin with better build quality. They look horrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #126
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
If they repackaged or reengineered the 3 dual motor performance for better looks and range..... I'd consider
But those are big ifs
Better rage? There is no comparable vehicle with more range.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #127
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Not sure I will ever buy a Tesla. I don't like the style/appearance and the reviews on quality and interior amenities turn me off. Tesla needs to offer a competitive all around product, not just a device with which to save the world.

For me to buy a battery electric vehicle, it needs to have 500 mile range for 10 years of ownership on the factory original battery, and charge time from 5% to 100% (500 miles worth of charge) needs to happen in 5 minutes. The preceding requirements need to occur with a vehicle that delivers, or exceeds, all of the other functionality of a petrol BMW or Mercedes in the comparable vehicle class. For example, X3, X5, GLC or GLE.

Gasoline is energy dense and battery technology companies know this. Battery range and life (avoidance of degradation) is one of the biggest challenges for BEVs.

I will not buy a vehicle that has the battery experience of an iPhone or macbook air, if I have a petrol vehicle alternative.
Appreciate 1
G80indy1713.00
      01-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #128
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Something that hasn't been discussed is the options available for those with ICE vehicles with respect to getting parts, DIY, and repair shops. Good luck with those when you get into a Tesla.
Appreciate 1
chassis6376.50
      01-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #129
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Something that hasn't been discussed is the options available for those with ICE vehicles with respect to getting parts, DIY, and repair shops. Good luck with those when you get into a Tesla.
Exactly. For Tesla to get my business, the first thing to be done is to remove the powerplant and battery. Then do a comparison:

Features
Options
Quality of materials
Comfort (subjective)
Appearance (subjective)
Initial vehicle quality (free from defects upon delivery)
Reliability and durability (free from major failures for 10 years/200,000 miles)
4 years / 50,000 miles new car bumper to bumper warranty fully transferrable to subsequent owners

Then put the electric powerplant and battery back in the vehicle and do another comparison:

Range: 500 miles from a full charge, with no degradation for 10 years/200,000 miles on the factory original battery
Fueling: 5 minutes total time from 5% charge to 100% fully charged with no restriction or caveat, for the base vehicle model
Performance: equal to or better 0-60, top speed and handling vs petrol competitors
Ride and NVH: equal to or better than petrol competitors

Tesla is a long way from offering a fully equivalent total vehicle package.

This is similar to the film vs. digital debate in photography. It is only in the past few years (5 or so) that digital processing is able to truly equal the (subjective) aesthetics that everyone knows and agrees film offers.

BEVs will get there. I think 10 years from now is an early estimate of when they offer a fully equivalent or better package. Likely outcome is 20 years. 30 years is a pessimistic estimate.

I will still be buying petrol for 20+ years.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #130
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
      01-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #131
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
To be fair though, Electric cars have their share of sensors and components you don’t find in ICE cars. Examples: DC to DC converters, motor resolvers, motor control ECUs, torque sensors, multitude of high voltage sensors and current sensors, shaft speed sensors, etc. and the technology is in its infancy, meaning more frequent failure rates than the old tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #132
larrylarry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I'm not against Tesla, I'd love to have one but they don't make a vehicle I want/can afford. When they come out with a competitor to my f32 that isn't ugly like the model 3 I'd consider it.
I'm in the same boat. Personally I think a model s looks fantastic but its just a little bit out of my price range.

That new 2021 widebody Model S looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread