BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Move from F30 335i to F48 – what should I focus on?

05-12-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Question Move from F30 335i to F48 – what should I focus on?

I need some help. I am mentally preparing myself to make the move to an X1. I have a fully loaded F30 335i and I love it. Unfortunately I cannot keep it forever due to back pain in the lower region of the back. Right now I step down into the car which causes pain when I need to get out. On bad days this pain also occurs in the way in and stays for 30 minutes. It is a physical deformation and cannot be trained away. What I need is a car where I step into the car and neither down nor up. The X1 with the seats in the almost highest position fulfills this. X2 is too low and X3 and up are too high. On top of that I can position the seat so I actively take of some of the load on the back by using the armrest. So the X1 appears to be the perfect next car for me.

I have found that I need the sport seats with lumbar support, an automatic gearbox and the middle armrest. All the rest is nice to have.
Cars are quite heavily taxed in Denmark and the configuration I would like to have easily costs >100.000€/115.000$ and due to those prices test drives are not really possible because they are simple not available for test driving. Normal price range for a new car in Denmark is about 30.000€/35.000

Here come the questions:
Engine -> I would prefer the x25i/x28i but wonder if the x20i would do? I know I will have less power than today but how big is the difference in the X1.
Drivetrain -> sDrive vs xDrive? Does it make a difference in daily driving? I don’t need xDrive but I love spirited driving.
Leather seats -> Does the perforated leather cause any problems?
Speakers -> I love music. Is the difference between HK and hifi worth the money?

Any other areas/issues I should be aware of when moving from F30 to F48? Please give me as many good reasons to get a F48 so I can convince my self to do this move.
      05-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
I need some help. I am mentally preparing myself to make the move to an X1. I have a fully loaded F30 335i and I love it. Unfortunately I cannot keep it forever due to back pain in the lower region of the back. Right now I step down into the car which causes pain when I need to get out. On bad days this pain also occurs in the way in and stays for 30 minutes. It is a physical deformation and cannot be trained away. What I need is a car where I step into the car and neither down nor up. The X1 with the seats in the almost highest position fulfills this. X2 is too low and X3 and up are too high. On top of that I can position the seat so I actively take of some of the load on the back by using the armrest. So the X1 appears to be the perfect next car for me.

I have found that I need the sport seats with lumbar support, an automatic gearbox and the middle armrest. All the rest is nice to have.
Cars are quite heavily taxed in Denmark and the configuration I would like to have easily costs >100.000€/115.000$ and due to those prices test drives are not really possible because they are simple not available for test driving. Normal price range for a new car in Denmark is about 30.000€/35.000

Here come the questions:
Engine -> I would prefer the x25i/x28i but wonder if the x20i would do? I know I will have less power than today but how big is the difference in the X1.
Drivetrain -> sDrive vs xDrive? Does it make a difference in daily driving? I don’t need xDrive but I love spirited driving.
Speakers -> I love music. Is the difference between HK and hifi worth the money?

Any other areas/issues I should be aware of when moving from F30 to F48? Please give me as many good reasons to get a F48 so I can convince my self to do this move.
Hi
As an experienced BMW owner, you probably have more knowledge than most. You ask a large number of questions and others will no doubt be better informed so I will give my opinion of just a few points.
- I do not think the X1 is particularly high or easy to get in or out of. It is one of my niggles, I would seriously consider renting one for a few days before committing.
- the base hifi system in the F48 is one of the worst I have had the misfortune to own in what is supposed to be a premium brand. The base system is flat, lacks dynamic range and has a poor top-end. In summary the base hifi is so bad that I replaced 4 of the base speakers with HK versions and added two tweeters. I would take a sample of your music and listen to the various options but do not assume the base hifi will be acceptable.
-Many US owners say the standard seats are poor and sports seats o.k if a little small. Many European owners say they are happy with the std seats. Probably most agree the leather in the F48 is not as good as it should be, perforated or not. Nearly all agree that lumbar support is a needed option.
- Many of the driver aid systems in the F48 are cheaper/simpler version that found in higher range series (notable example being automatic cruise control). Be warned, BMW appear to see the X1 as entry level and you may be disappointed that expensive options are actually not what you expected. As an existing BMW owner, you should take an F48 on at least a few days test before deciding.
-oh, finally if you want Apple CarPlay, be sure to pay for the “CarPlay ready” option otherwise you will not be able to retrofit the feature, and if you want “spirited driving” I seriously think you may find the F48 disappointing. Sorry, I like my F48 but it not a traditional rear-wheel drive BMW.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-12-2019 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00
      05-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Appreciate your input. I am not that tall. Only 174cm/5'8", so the X1 is the right size for me. For me it is important to avoid bending or twisting the lower spine. Hence I also need the side support from the sport seats. The standard does not work for me.

I will definitely look into the HK sound system and see if I somehow can get my hands on an X1 for some days.
      05-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate your input. I am not that tall. Only 174cm/5'8", so the X1 is the right size for me. For me it is important to avoid bending or twisting the lower spine. Hence I also need the side support from the sport seats. The standard does not work for me.

I will definitely look into the HK sound system and see if I somehow can get my hands on an X1 for some days.
We're the same height!

I think the F48 is very easy to get in for someone who's not tall.
The new base seat is just fine especially when it comes with lumbar support.

The base stereo is decent but it's not as crisp as it could be.

If you worry about torque steering, I would opt for the Xdrive. It's also good in the snow.

If you need Carplay make sure it's already got it built-in. There's a lengthy on-going thread about it.
I gave up on Carplay and decided to use my iPhone for navigation. You can set your phone to broadcast navigation through Bluetooth while muting music on the head unit. It display as if you're getting a phone call from yourself briefly while it interrupts your music with navigation directions. Odd but efficient.

It's not an enthusiast BMW but I believe it's still the nicest subcompact SUV out there.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      05-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
We're the same height!

I think the F48 is very easy to get in for someone who's not tall.
The new base seat is just fine especially when it comes with lumbar support.

The base stereo is decent but it's not as crisp as it could be.

If you worry about torque steering, I would opt for the Xdrive. It's also good in the snow.

If you need Carplay make sure it's already got it built-in. There's a lengthy on-going thread about it.
I gave up on Carplay and decided to use my iPhone for navigation. You can set your phone to broadcast navigation through Bluetooth while muting music on the head unit. It display as if you're getting a phone call from yourself briefly while it interrupts your music with navigation directions. Odd but efficient.

It's not an enthusiast BMW but I believe it's still the nicest subcompact SUV out there.
My apologies for commenting on your post however, I am fairly sure the base hifi system for US F48 is not the same as the base system in Europe. The base system in Europe comes with 6 cheap paper cone speakers and no amp. The US base system is, I believe, the 7 speaker amp system with upgraded speakers and is available in Europe as a middle option of three (base, mid/enhanced , HK).

There are a large number of features included in US cars as standard, for 2019 I understand this includes CarPlay but not for Europe and I absolutely agree with your advice to remember to specify if “CarPlay ready” is needed.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-14-2019 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Wohoo – I found a colleague who has an X1 with sport seats and an automatic transmission and we are going to switch cars next week to test it for daily driving.

Regarding CarPlay I will not need it. For the past 10 years we have installed a 64gb USB stick with all the music needed in the car. I also intend to get the build in nav system. I hate to have to add my own stuff in order to have a “complete car”.
      05-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
Wohoo – I found a colleague who has an X1 with sport seats and an automatic transmission and we are going to switch cars next week to test it for daily driving.

Regarding CarPlay I will not need it. For the past 10 years we have installed a 64gb USB stick with all the music needed in the car. I also intend to get the build in nav system. I hate to have to add my own stuff in order to have a “complete car”.
I didnt include Carplay for exactly the same reason as you.
Best wishes with your test drive.
      05-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You don't even need a 64gb stick. All your music will play directly through the headunit from your phone as well as all of your Connected Drive apps like iHeartradio and Pandora. They have album covers and everything. It's actually very nice.

The sport seats are nice if you have long legs. The old standard seats were too short at the bottom cushion but the new ones are longer. I'm 5' 8" and 200 pounds and I'm very happy with the standard seat with lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I don't have the music on my phone because it is a company paid phone with 16gb in total memory. So in order to get it to work I need to buy both a decent iPhone AND Carplay. I already have the USB stick so there is no cost attached to have all my music in the car. The USB solution also offers album covers. Or at least it does in my CIC nav in the F30.

I don't have long legs but I need the side support in the sport seats. Bending my back sideways can cause pain.
      05-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have a company iPhone and gladly siphon as much data as I can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

Here come the questions:

I have similar back problems as well and knee problems. I had to finally get rid of mine F31. I loved that wagon!

I test drove a 2016 F48....and bought a 2016 F25.

F48 is not too low ....but you better buy the SPORTS SEATS on whatever you get!

Buy the HK stereo if you get F48.

F48 is FWD....and Xdrive only kicks in when needed. Torque steering is prevalent.
      05-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is this not the case then,

BMW xDrive: how it works

xDrive is a full-time all-wheel drive system, rather than a part-time drivetrain; systems like VW's Haldex differential only fires surplus torque to the opposite axle when the car’s on-board ECU senses wheelslip. So under normal conditions, BMW's xDrive is rear-biased, sending 40% of drive to the front wheels, and 60% rearwards.

Taken from,

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...ut-bmw-xdrive/
      05-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Is this not the case then,

BMW xDrive: how it works

xDrive is a full-time all-wheel drive system, rather than a part-time drivetrain; systems like VW's Haldex differential only fires surplus torque to the opposite axle when the car’s on-board ECU senses wheelslip. So under normal conditions, BMW's xDrive is rear-biased, sending 40% of drive to the front wheels, and 60% rearwards.

Taken from,

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...ut-bmw-xdrive/
For the X3 and higher SAVs.....but X1....

There is only one engine and transmission pairing for the X1: a silky 228-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. The turbo four provides plenty of pep as well as good fuel efficiency. In our all-wheel-drive test vehicle, we managed a 6.3-second zero-to-60-mph time, which is one of the quicker entries in this segment. Front-wheel drive is standard; the optional all-wheel-drive system puts most of the power through the front wheels, although up to 100 percent of the engine's output can, for brief moments in low-traction scenarios, flow to the rear.

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x1
      05-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #14
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I did test the F25 but it is just i bit too high/wide in order for me to get into the car. I do like it however and would probably also prefer it.

Regarding the xDrive it is actually a haldex based/similar system. But as far as I can read different places it does prevent some understeer (Gotta test it on a track if I get one).

I also found this video which i found pretty convincing regarding distribution of torque.

Another question: 18" og 19" wheels? I actually love those from the video.
      05-15-2019, 01:58 AM   #15
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

As a previous BMW owner (RWD ofcourse) I can say that the xDrive on the X1 is pretty good. You can hardly ever notice it is FWD biased as the rear wheels engage precisely when needed. No torque steer at all.

Yes, of course you loose some of the RWD sporty feeling, but it is an SUV after all. It is the same case with the X3, although it is RW biased.

Last edited by Jorix; 05-15-2019 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00
      05-15-2019, 02:03 AM   #16
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Regarding the Sports seats, it allows the base to be tilted, from flat to a fair amount up. This can make a huge difference IME in comfort.
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00
      05-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
As a previous BMW owner (RWD ofcourse) I can say that the xDrive on the X1 is pretty good. You can hardly ever notice it is FWD biased as the rear wheels engage precisely when needed. No torque steer at all.

Yes, of course you loose some of the RWD sporty feeling, but it is an SUV at all. It is the same case with the X3, although it is RW biased.
I agree the X1 four wheel drive system works well. Firstly the “xDrive” system in the X1&X2 is not the same as the rest of the BMW range and the reason is down to the transverse engine mounting and that the X1&X2 are primarily front wheel drive and not rear wheel drive. The X1 system allows drive to the rear wheel if loss of traction occurs on the front.

I found a YouTube video posted by some russian guys extremely interesting, they took 6 small SUV’s including the F48, off road. They put the cars through a series of tough tests and much to my surprise the F48 came out top for off-Road ability. Cars were BMW X1, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX5, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, Volkswagen Tiguan. What was surprising also was how Poor some of the systems were. The video has English subtitles but I found the tests they did extremely realistic real—world rather than extreme.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-15-2019 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00
      05-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #18
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did test the F25 but it is just i bit too high/wide in order for me to get into the car. I do like it however and would probably also prefer it.

Regarding the xDrive it is actually a haldex based/similar system. But as far as I can read different places it does prevent some understeer (Gotta test it on a track if I get one).

I also found this video which i found pretty convincing regarding distribution of torque.

I went for smaller wheels and avoided run flat tyres as some have criticised the ride as a little harsh. I know the handling may not be as keen but I rather have comfort than improved slip angle. Of course this is all subjective.
      05-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #19
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
My dealer told me that the difference in ride comfort between 18 and 19 is quite substantial, while 17 and 18 makes no difference. So I would say 18.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #20
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
My dealer told me that the difference in ride comfort between 18 and 19 is quite substantial, while 17 and 18 makes no difference. So I would say 18.
I would agree that 18” is best of standard options. I would also avoid run flat tyres/tires. The problem with run flats are;
- they transmit more vibration to car and are noisier,
- the stiffer sidewalk reduces ride comfort,
- in many countries it is now almost impossible to get a run flat tyre repaired, even if it has not be driven on at low pressure. This even applies to RFT where manufacturer says they can be repaired. Interestingly Pirelli just say their RFT cannot be repaired, so another profit generator.
- finally you are so limited to choice with RFT, particularly with winter tyres.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      05-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I am definitely going for RFTs. I have them now and they have saved me twice from getting stuck somewhere away from home at the most inconvenient moment. In one occasion there was quite a hole in it and no air at all. Still I was able to drive at least 30km/20miles on the side wall alone with no problems (except noise).

The side wall on the X1 is a bit taller than those on the F30 for same rim size. Thinkin gabout it I guess I actually prefer the 18” winter tires compared to the 19” summer tires.
      05-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
All of my cars have run flats with the exception of my full size pick up truck. RFTs are slightly stiffer but the added benefits of safety and security plus convenience out weight the minor sacrifice in ride quality. Ever been stuck with a flat on the side of a 6 lane superhighway in rush hour traffic? I have to say the Bridgestone and Yokohama run flats are quieter and softer than the Pirelli P7 while handles exactly the same.

Regarding the video. Subaru #1, BMW #2 and the rest shouldn't bother going off-road especially the Hyandai
Appreciate 0