BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos When will you buy a Tesla?

Closed Thread

01-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #133
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

... when and if there is a similar program to cash for clunkers for the EV transition we seem to be headed towards, I will trade my gas guzzler N62 550i. Definitely seems to be where the automotive industry is headed towards.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #134
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
Yes, agree. I heard recently from credible source (career auto industry executive) that electric vehicles have something on the order of several dozen percent less cost to produce vs ICE cars. This is due to the above comments, plus the reduction of high cost labor. Autoworkers are among the highest paid hourly employees in the US. It's not right or wrong, just a fact. And businesses need to find ways to reduce their costs, and they will.

To me the business case for BEVs as viewed by automakers is too juicy to ignore.

The battery is technology bottleneck at the moment.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      01-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #135
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
Watch some of the Youtube videos from Rich Rebuilds. You'll see a lot of other things that fail on these cars. The Model S' main screen is actually the DME (BMW speak) of the entire car. There are two known flaws to this screen. The first one is not something that will cause a malfunction but it's annoying. There is some liquid that will start to ooze out of the screen creating a sloppy mess. The only way to fix this is to replace the entire module. The second issue is from the flash memory getting worn out due to all the logging the system is configured by default from the factory. Once the flash memory fails, the car won't operate.

Then there are the other nagging problems with the electric door handles, the gull wing doors, etc, etc.

It seems some parts are obtainable from Tesla and others are not. Rich has to troll salvage yards/auctions for donor cars to get parts to repair customer cars.

And seem to be more reliable in terms of the mechanical simplicity, just hope you don't get into a car wreck with any of these cars. TFL on Youtube went through that very mess trying to get their Model 3 fixed after a minor fender bender and they worked with a Tesla approved body shop. While this situation happened a while ago, based on what I've seen supply chain issues haven't improved much.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #136
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I love Rich....and Rich loves Tesla's! Lol.

The screens have gone through a few iterations. Handles are indeed an issue on the Model S....Tesla replaces them frequently under warranty. Not an issue on the Model 3. I've watched every episode of Rich Rebuilds, guy knows more about Tesla's then Tesla....and again, he loves them. His daughter drives the wrapped Tesla he used to drive. His issues with Tesla are with their business model and not the car. He might not be your best example.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #137
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
THIS IS A BMW FORUM = PEOPLE THAT LIKE DRIVING

By extension, that means getting pleasure from hearing an engine rev through the gears, the shift if you're a manual driver, the exaggerated exhaust if you have a bi-turbo v6/v8... its the pleasure.

I love Tesla and what they stand for, but if you really love cars.. you're probably going to hold off as long as possible, just cause they take away what we love most.. connection to the drive. Maybe that's the point, but I'm not ready quite yet
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
XMetal1096.50
      01-03-2021, 12:16 AM   #138
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
I love Rich....and Rich loves Tesla's! Lol.

The screens have gone through a few iterations. Handles are indeed an issue on the Model S....Tesla replaces them frequently under warranty. Not an issue on the Model 3. I've watched every episode of Rich Rebuilds, guy knows more about Tesla's then Tesla....and again, he loves them. His daughter drives the wrapped Tesla he used to drive. His issues with Tesla are with their business model and not the car. He might not be your best example.
I never said he hated Teslas. But he's been pretty unbiased as to the issues you will have as an owner. He put up a video where his head mechanic was working on a Model X and went through a list of common problems. He constantly pokes fun at the Tesla fan boys out there. This is why I posted up that anyone considering a Tesla needs to look at the videos on his channel. You'll get as unbiased a view into the experience you'll have as an owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:00 AM   #139
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
To be fair though, Electric cars have their share of sensors and components you don’t find in ICE cars. Examples: DC to DC converters, motor resolvers, motor control ECUs, torque sensors, multitude of high voltage sensors and current sensors, shaft speed sensors, etc. and the technology is in its infancy, meaning more frequent failure rates than the old tech.
This is true, but the failure rate of solid state electronics can be extremely low in a good design. Properly designed electronics can last decades, if not longer. If not for capacitor aging or soldering issues due to thermal cycling, there are a lot of low voltage electronics that would last forever.

Most of those technologies you mention are already present in ICE cars, though not to the same degree perhaps. We already see things like stepper motor driver failures on the throttle bodies of the E92 M3. New BMWs are full of sensors.

Such high voltage and current DC-DC conversion has not been the norm in automotive applications, but it should be one of the most heavily exercised systems and get a lot of design attention.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
David701567.00
      01-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #140
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
This is true, but the failure rate of solid state electronics can be extremely low in a good design. Properly designed electronics can last decades, if not longer. If not for capacitor aging or soldering issues due to thermal cycling, there are a lot of low voltage electronics that would last forever.

Most of those technologies you mention are already present in ICE cars, though not to the same degree perhaps. We already see things like stepper motor driver failures on the throttle bodies of the E92 M3. New BMWs are full of sensors.

Such high voltage and current DC-DC conversion has not been the norm in automotive applications, but it should be one of the most heavily exercised systems and get a lot of design attention.
Also agree. The weakest point right now is still the battery. Stringing a bunch of Li battery packs together is not the way. Solid state will be the future, but I think we're still a ways off before it can be industrialized in a large scale and manufactured in a cost effective matter.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      01-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #141
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Watch some of the Youtube videos from Rich Rebuilds. You'll see a lot of other things that fail on these cars. The Model S' main screen is actually the DME (BMW speak) of the entire car. There are two known flaws to this screen. The first one is not something that will cause a malfunction but it's annoying. There is some liquid that will start to ooze out of the screen creating a sloppy mess. The only way to fix this is to replace the entire module. The second issue is from the flash memory getting worn out due to all the logging the system is configured by default from the factory. Once the flash memory fails, the car won't operate.

Then there are the other nagging problems with the electric door handles, the gull wing doors, etc, etc.

It seems some parts are obtainable from Tesla and others are not. Rich has to troll salvage yards/auctions for donor cars to get parts to repair customer cars.

And seem to be more reliable in terms of the mechanical simplicity, just hope you don't get into a car wreck with any of these cars. TFL on Youtube went through that very mess trying to get their Model 3 fixed after a minor fender bender and they worked with a Tesla approved body shop. While this situation happened a while ago, based on what I've seen supply chain issues haven't improved much.
Video screens, door design/door handles and expensive body work, hardly examples of problems that wouldn't be expected in buying a car from a relatively new startup, all of them could be on the ICE also and my answer was to the general question of buying an electric vs an ICE. I wouldn't expect a major manufacturer to have any of the problems above and the drivetrain and major components to have fewer problems even as they build their first cars. Look at the number of systems and sensors that go into making the exhaust meet the required standards. O2 sensors, MAF, fuel pressure, PCV valves, catalytic converters, fueling systems to contain vapor, the list goes on and on and most of these systems are from from new and still cause troubles. Plug into a modern ICE to diagnose the check engine light and the possibilities for problems are massive.
      01-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #142
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
To be fair though, Electric cars have their share of sensors and components you don’t find in ICE cars. Examples: DC to DC converters, motor resolvers, motor control ECUs, torque sensors, multitude of high voltage sensors and current sensors, shaft speed sensors, etc. and the technology is in its infancy, meaning more frequent failure rates than the old tech.
Plenty of cases where an electric motor works for many years with close to zero maintenance and repairs and I can't think of any combustion engine where you can say the same.

The electric starter on the ICE is a good example, now highly unlikely in 100k-200k miles with thousands of starts that you will ever touch it.

Last edited by David70; 01-03-2021 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #143
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I don't see anyone claiming the electric motor is a weak link for BEVs.

The battery is the weak link.

Speaking to Tesla specifically, excluding the electric powertrain, it's a crummy car in my view.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #144
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post

By extension, that means getting pleasure from hearing an engine rev through the gears, the shift if you're a manual driver, the exaggerated exhaust if you have a bi-turbo v6/v8... its the pleasure.

I love Tesla and what they stand for, but if you really love cars.. you're probably going to hold off as long as possible, just cause they take away what we love most.. connection to the drive. Maybe that's the point, but I'm not ready quite yet
BMW does straight 6 not v6 . As a person that loves driving cars — nothing stops you from owning both a BMW and a Tesla. It can be at the same time, it can be one after another, it's not like you're stuck with one forever either — you have the freedom to enjoy both and even other cars in your lifetime.

I love driving them both. On weekends I'll load up the M4 and drive to sonoma raceway or laguna seca and then when I get home and go out to dinner I'll have the Tesla autopilot me to dinner and relax on the way there.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      01-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #145
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

Speaking to Tesla specifically, excluding the electric powertrain, it's a crummy car in my view.
The above said a lot of the systems to keep the electric motor/battery running added possible issues to it. Get the price of the batteries down and many more would deal with the other issues. Right now the overall cost to own an electric doesn't work out very well when compared to an ICE.

"Crummy" - doesn't say much. It works as designed, is safe, fast, and the best electric available. It is now hitting 8 years on the market and has shown they keep running. I don't see mass battery replacement and haven't heard of mass expensive repairs needed to keep them running. If you want to compare them to a similar priced ICE I would say the interior isn't to the same standards, panel gaps, fit and finish. Someone said the screens have issues, anything else?
      01-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #146
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
BMW does straight 6 not v6 . As a person that loves driving cars — nothing stops you from owning both a BMW and a Tesla. It can be at the same time, it can be one after another, it's not like you're stuck with one forever either — you have the freedom to enjoy both and even other cars in your lifetime.

I love driving them both. On weekends I'll load up the M4 and drive to sonoma raceway or laguna seca and then when I get home and go out to dinner I'll have the Tesla autopilot me to dinner and relax on the way there.
This would be me if I could buy an electric with decent range for a decent price. I don't have an interest in the $45k+ electric, I just don't care enough about the car to pay this much for it when it really becomes an appliance to get me to dinner/work (likely in traffic) when I have a 2nd car that is fun to drive.
      01-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #147
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Video screens, door design/door handles and expensive body work, hardly examples of problems that wouldn't be expected in buying a car from a relatively new startup, all of them could be on the ICE also and my answer was to the general question of buying an electric vs an ICE. I wouldn't expect a major manufacturer to have any of the problems above and the drivetrain and major components to have fewer problems even as they build their first cars. Look at the number of systems and sensors that go into making the exhaust meet the required standards. O2 sensors, MAF, fuel pressure, PCV valves, catalytic converters, fueling systems to contain vapor, the list goes on and on and most of these systems are from from new and still cause troubles. Plug into a modern ICE to diagnose the check engine light and the possibilities for problems are massive.
And what seems to be glossed over is the fact that these cars are not trouble free even with the minimum number of mechanical components. You skipped over the fact that the failure of the flash memory of the Model S' main computer will prevent the car from even running. And why this is so is due to the massive amount of data logging they do. Which leads into another aspect that has been kicked around here but many people really don't take seriously but give lip service to which is your own privacy. It's comical to see complaints about how the evil Feds are able to gain access to various aspects of your life yet these same people are willing to hand over that access to the likes of Google, Apple, and now Tesla. Rich did a video on the massive amounts of captured video the car by default records. Do you think Elan is going to let that precious data go untapped?

And none of the proponents of Tesla has even addressed the repair situation. Your choice of repair shops is extremely limited along with access to factory parts. Rich was able to gain access to various manuals from Tesla because Massachusetts passed a law requiring auto manufacturers to share that data.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #148
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

And you better be in climates that are conducive to optimum battery operation or those range estimates are just pipe dreams.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #149
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

For me it comes down to the fact that all Tesla models (other than the original roadster) look like turds.
      01-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #150
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The above said a lot of the systems to keep the electric motor/battery running added possible issues to it. Get the price of the batteries down and many more would deal with the other issues. Right now the overall cost to own an electric doesn't work out very well when compared to an ICE.

"Crummy" - doesn't say much. It works as designed, is safe, fast, and the best electric available. It is now hitting 8 years on the market and has shown they keep running. I don't see mass battery replacement and haven't heard of mass expensive repairs needed to keep them running. If you want to compare them to a similar priced ICE I would say the interior isn't to the same standards, panel gaps, fit and finish. Someone said the screens have issues, anything else?

Ok. You didn’t address the “excluding the electric powertrain”.

Tesla is a crummy car when compared with others, excluding the means of energy storage and propulsion.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #151
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
For me it comes down to the fact that all Tesla models (other than the original roadster) look like turds.
Agree. None of these egg shaped cars do anything for me in the aesthetics department.
      01-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #152
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

why I should buy a Tesla?
I have already a washing machine
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      01-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #153
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

BMW? Really? I'm not sure BMW has produced anything like that in the last decade.

Quote:
You list 2 SUVs in your profile though... I'm assuming you have a vehicle like you described above in your garage somewhere.

In all fairness though. I will continue to own an ICE vehicle along with my BEV for as long as I can afford to do so and as long as there are ICE vehicles I like with a manual transmission. However I don't see any compelling reason to go back to ICE for my daily driver unless it's strictly a cost issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #154
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
BMW? Really? I'm not sure BMW has produced anything like that in the last decade.
Other than the "V6" aspect, the E82 135i and 128i were made through the 2013 model year.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread