BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Move from F30 335i to F48 – what should I focus on?

05-22-2019, 01:20 AM   #23
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

I thought I’d give you some feedback on the car switch.

I didn’t know what model X1 my colleague was driving except that it had sport seats and an automatic. It turned out that it was an x25d with almost exactly the options I am considering and more. So besides the ride comfort I could test a lot of other stuff as well.

What I also did before the switch was to do all the stuff with my back that it doesn’t like (house work, garden work, move/lift heavy object in the wrong way and so on) – the whole weekend. So I knew for sure that I would have pain. And what a success…

We are probably switching back the cars tomorrow and boy I have already learned a lot since Monday.

First of all I learned that the F48 will never be the driving machine my F30 335i is. There is no way I can make a F48 as fun as my current car. Not even with more power. It is simple physics. So the key learning from this was that a lesser engine is fine for the car and I can focus on comfort. It is waste of time to try to get the same driving pleasure. The 231hp engine in the 25d is fully acceptable for me in a daily driver. I however will choose the 25i/28i engine.

The best learning is that I learned that the X1 is better for my back than my F30. I especially noticed that when I approached the car I expected back pain when entering the car as well when leaving the car. Every time there was a huge relieve when it turned out that there was no pain entering/leaving the car . And remember I am still in pain at the moment.

Other nice learnings are about the options for the X1. This X1 has EDC. I will opt for the normal suspension. This X1 has 18” and together with the soft suspension it just works well so it will be 18” wheels i choose. I tried to use the hardened suspension but then the car tried to be something is couldn’t be (sporty). So both the M-suspension and 19” wheels in my opinion will somehow contradict the nature of the X1.

Then there is the music. This X1 had the hifi speakers and it is not as good as the HK I have in my F30 but I think it is close enough to be sufficient. I didn’t mislike the sound so that’s OK. The real music enjoyment will be at home anyway.

So now I will wait for the facelifted X1 to come around officially and then some. The order will probably be placed within 6-12 months because the longer I can wait the better equipped the car will be.

One thing is however for sure. Testing this X1 and with the input from you guys I really want one now. This excercise has turned my situation from being sad to get rid of my F30 to looking forward to get an X1

So thanks again. All your input was really valuable and helpful.
      05-22-2019, 02:53 AM   #24
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post

Then there is the music. This X1 had the hifi speakers and it is not as good as the HK I have in my F30 but I think it is close enough to be sufficient. I didn’t mislike the sound so that’s OK. The real music enjoyment will be at home anyway.

:
Well, you know you can get the HK in the X1 too, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #25
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I know. But here in Denmark there are 150% car taxes on top of the price + 25% VAT additionally. So going from hifi to HK costs an additional 1500€/1700$ and I don't think the difference is worth the value.
      05-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
The soft suspension isn't so soft. I would opt for the electronic active damper option if it's available. That's the one thing I wish my car has.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #27
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
I know. But here in Denmark there are 150% car taxes on top of the price + 25% VAT additionally. So going from hifi to HK costs an additional 1500€/1700$ and I don't think the difference is worth the value.
Just remember there are 3 hifi options, base, mid/enhanced (which has amplifier and extra dash speaker. Also speakers are upgraded) and finally HK. If you were happy with the hifi in your friend’s car then just make sure it was the base system not the middle option otherwise you may be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #28
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I know and coming back to my own with HK made me realise that HK is a must for me.

GenXer The hight difference between the normal supension and the EDC/M-suspension actually does make a difference for me and I need that extra 10mm height.