BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Trip Computer Issue on MPG vs l/100km conversion

06-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and also new owner of a BMW X1 F48 sdrive 18i.

Today I tried to change Idrive units settings from mpg to l/100km since I am more familiar with European way to measure the consumption. Others units remained on default settings. However, on the MyVehicle display the change was implemented only to the unit description ( change from "mpg" to "l/100km") but the value is still showing same order like in mpg for example I am getting now 39.5 l/100kmh

Then I tried to change back to "mpg" using in Idrive Settings -> Units -> Mpg and when I looked back to MyVehicle the unit change to mpg however the value measured reversed to small value and is showing 7.2 mpg . So I cannot go back to real value for mpg .

I reseted the Trip Computer and drove around my house few times however the situation is still present.

Did anyone experience similar situation and can advise what do I need to do to have the correct reading for mpg or l/100km?

Thank you in advance .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

You may need to change to L/km, reset trip computer and complete a few drive cycles (more than just driving around the block a few times) for the numbers to reflect accurately.

The values do fluctuate a bit after a trip reset, so it will probably take a few drives for the numbers to settle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for advise Skyline2.0.

I will do a longer trip this weekend and see if my trip computer will recover.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep

Today after I changed back to mpg and I had a longer trip and noticed average mpg started steady to comeback from l/100 km values to more accurate mpg value.

An interesting lesson learned for me since I didn't know that I need to give more time to trip computer to adjust to new unit value.

So whilst initially the value seems to be wrong the lesson is that BMW computer will need more time and subsequently longer trips to adjusts.

I guess switching from a different car with different logic on trip computer I didn't expect a slower adjustment on BMW trip computer. However every single car is different.
Appreciate 0