BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Would you? 2017 X1 sDrive28i?

06-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Jwbaker13
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / Audi A5S

Would you? 2017 X1 sDrive28i?

Hello all,

I was getting my car serviced today and noticed a 2017 X1 sDrive28i on the lot. It is a CPO with 37,600 on the clock. They are asking $21,191.

I e been looking for something in this price range for my daughter and had never really considered a BMW until I saw it sitting there. I drove it and it absolutely blew away all the other little crossover/ suvs we've demoed (CR-V, RAV4, Crosstrek, R200, CX-30, etc.)

But, I don't really know anything about their reliability, safety ratings, and such. The mileage on it gives me some pause too, but it is a CPO.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

So far it seems the reliability is very good, based on my personal experience and my 2+ years reading these forums. I obsessively research cars, and this is one of the few forums I've come across where there aren't any owners venting about recurring problems. I've noticed the X1 makes it onto a lot of "best used car" lists too, for what its worth.

The car definitely stands above the competition you listed in terms of fun, except for maybe the CX-30 (Mazda is a nice value). It's really impressive that BMW managed to produce such a quick car that still gets ~35 MPG on the highway.

The #1 thing to consider with the CPO route is that BMWs are known for their expensive maintenance costs. Even if the car is perfect, wear and tear items like brakes, batteries, belts, alignments, etc. have a premium price. Folks like to recommend finding an independent BMW mechanic, but it's still not cheap. That's a big part of why you can grab a CPO for only $21k.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Jwbaker13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
So far it seems the reliability is very good, based on my personal experience and my 2+ years reading these forums. I obsessively research cars, and this is one of the few forums I've come across where there aren't any owners venting about recurring problems. I've noticed the X1 makes it onto a lot of "best used car" lists too, for what its worth.

The car definitely stands above the competition you listed in terms of fun, except for maybe the CX-30 (Mazda is a nice value). It's really impressive that BMW managed to produce such a quick car that still gets ~35 MPG on the highway.

The #1 thing to consider with the CPO route is that BMWs are known for their expensive maintenance costs. Even if the car is perfect, wear and tear items like brakes, batteries, belts, alignments, etc. have a premium price. Folks like to recommend finding an independent BMW mechanic, but it's still not cheap. That's a big part of why you can grab a CPO for only $21k.
Thanks for the quick reply JMHUMR. Yeah I'm driving an M240i. I'm still under warranty and in the honeymoon phase but I know it can get pricey.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Jwbaker13,

I just hit 36k on the odometer today and driving the X1 has been an overall great experience in terms of driving experience, comfort, reliability, safety, etc.

As with any car, the X1 has some common problems. From what I've seen and dealt with here's a brief list of issues to consider:
  • Somewhat premature brake wear (compared to other car brands I've owned). I changed out my front brakes at 31k and rears at 25k.
  • Intermittent bad odor from AC on initial start up during summer, which dissipates after a minute or so. I cleaned out my AC evap core last summer and it's been nearly problem free so far. I also keep re-circ off to pull in more fresh air, which seems to help avoid moisture/mold build up that seems to be the source of the sour smell for me.
  • Loud thunking when hitting pot holes or speed bumps. Some have reported bad lower control arms as the problem. But, the car's suspension seems to not dampen large shocks into the cabin very well. I attribute some of it to the RFTs that I'm running, which I expect will not be so jarring once I switch over to non-RFTs.
  • Blind spot. Again, compared to other cars I've driven, there's a fairly significant blind spot with my seat and side mirror set up. However, I've mostly eliminated it with NXTGEN's extended view mirrors.
  • Side view mirrors out of position. On a handful of occasions, my side mirrors were extremely off, but it usually remains corrected after 1 reset.
  • Stalling when reversing after cold start up. Some have reported this issue resolving itself after the engine warms up and others have found a software update from the dealer to be the fix. Also, I've seen people post about transmission issues, which some resolved by replacing the shift lever.
  • Sagging sun roof blind. Mine has been problem-free so far. Other members have reported the inner shade sags or has come off the tracks somehow.
  • Random/unexpected opening of tailgate. In very few instances, my tailgate has opened unexpectedly. Luckily I've always been right next to the car so I've never had to come back to an open trunk. For me, it may have been that I accidentally hit the trunk button on key fob, but others have reported faulty or overly sensitive hands free sensor under the rear bumper.
  • Excessive noise/creaking from sun roof and/or doors. Some have found the sliding glass piece to be slightly out of position and others have noted noise coming from the doors.
Most of these items are minor, in my opinion, and up to you whether you can deal with it if it crops up. All of the issues I've experienced first hand are no big deal or I've been able to resolve myself.

Here's the good: I enjoy wrenching on my X1 so it's been rewarding in that sense. I've been fortunate that I have yet to bring it to the dealer for maintenance or random problems (that I couldn't resolve myself) since buying it new.

The X1's cargo capacity and seating room is spacious for its class. It's also quick compared to the competition. As jmhumr noted, there are very few posts here about serious mechanical or safety problems, which I agree with when viewed against other car forums. The car may lack some features (e.g., blind spot monitoring, etc) that some have wished were an option or came stock, but to each his (or her) own.

Take a look at some other X1 posts, watch a few YouTube reviews and give the car another test drive if you're seriously considering it. I personally have no regrets getting the X1 and it's served me well so far.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Jwbaker13
Rep

Thanks for all the info Skyline2.0
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I for one have to stick with the BMW bandwagon.. they are nice. We've had a '16 X1 Msport the whole time with no issues whatsoever except for maybe once or twice when I started the car up and popped it into reverse fast that it studdered. My wife does this on a daily basis and said maybe once it happened as well. Otherwise, nothing broken, no recalls, no creaks, no sags, no lights etc.

I do wrench a lot on cars so I can say a few little things about the other competitors in your list. A lot of them will rust and have weird things get dirty/break. The fit/finish of the BMW with all the splash shields, thicker nuts and bolts, the undercarriage and engine bay of this X1 has completely held up. We have owned personally or I have worked on family owned cars of almost your entire list, and this is what I find. No, I don't wash the car more often.. in fact, we are all pretty lazy and let them all go until they are really filthy before we run it through a car wash. Parts, as mentioned, can be a little more expensive for normal items.. but a LOT more expensive for funky electronics or other modules.

Safety and best SUV is definitely an A+ on the X1.

BUT... if you're looking for a car for your daughter.. I might look into the Crosstrek.

The crosstrek of the newer designs have a pretty solid cage built in it. But also there are a TON of the nanny devices in the 16 and up I believe? This is the automatic braking, lane departure, blind spot warning etc. None of which the BMW has.. and even on my '19 X2 M35i none of those features works well. The Honda one seems pretty good as well. I do not have any experience with any of the newer Toyotas or Mazdas, but I have seen first hand the Honda/Subaru nanny systems, and they are pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I for one have to stick with the BMW bandwagon.. they are nice. We've had a '16 X1 Msport the whole time with no issues whatsoever except for maybe once or twice when I started the car up and popped it into reverse fast that it studdered. My wife does this on a daily basis and said maybe once it happened as well. Otherwise, nothing broken, no recalls, no creaks, no sags, no lights etc.

I do wrench a lot on cars so I can say a few little things about the other competitors in your list. A lot of them will rust and have weird things get dirty/break. The fit/finish of the BMW with all the splash shields, thicker nuts and bolts, the undercarriage and engine bay of this X1 has completely held up. We have owned personally or I have worked on family owned cars of almost your entire list, and this is what I find. No, I don't wash the car more often.. in fact, we are all pretty lazy and let them all go until they are really filthy before we run it through a car wash. Parts, as mentioned, can be a little more expensive for normal items.. but a LOT more expensive for funky electronics or other modules.

Safety and best SUV is definitely an A+ on the X1.

BUT... if you're looking for a car for your daughter.. I might look into the Crosstrek.

The crosstrek of the newer designs have a pretty solid cage built in it. But also there are a TON of the nanny devices in the 16 and up I believe? This is the automatic braking, lane departure, blind spot warning etc. None of which the BMW has.. and even on my '19 X2 M35i none of those features works well. The Honda one seems pretty good as well. I do not have any experience with any of the newer Toyotas or Mazdas, but I have seen first hand the Honda/Subaru nanny systems, and they are pretty good.
Yes, I would agree, if inbuilt safety features like pedestrian avoidance, lane departure warning etc are very important to you then be aware that the x1 did not cover itself with glory in the new IIHS pedestrian crash tests. I will not re-post the links as they appear to disappear but do your own research.

From my own experience, the vehicle collision avoidance system on the X1 is good. I cannot comment on the pedestrian avoidance system as it is not std in U.K. spec cars. Overall, apart from horrendous depreciation (from new), my car has been reliable and the 4 pot engines are tried and tested so the BMW v8 horror stories are not an issue.

Last edited by MJE60; 06-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep

I'd also recommend looking into a 2017+ CX-5. Not as quick as the X1 unless you splurge for a 2019+ turbo, but it can match most of the features on the X1. It's also easy to add Apple CarPlay via the dealership, if that's important to your daughter (it's probably not possible on the 2017 X1 you're looking at).
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 01:49 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
It's also easy to add Apple CarPlay via the dealership, if that's important to your daughter (it's probably not possible on the 2017 X1 you're looking at).
It is possible see Bimmertech.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X1 x

If you are considering the Subaru Crosstrek, wait until the new model is released this fall in the US. It will have the 2.5 non-turbo engine, making 190 hp.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

That crosstrek is almost undrivable. It is SO SLOW. It needs at least 50 more hp to compete with other cars in its class. I guess for a teenage driver that'd be OK though. I've had my X1 for 2 years and it's been the most reliable BMW I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. It was exactly the car I needed for living in Italy, small, fairly quick, reliable, etc. Now that I'm back in the US, I'd prefer something a little larger. I also have a teenager and will let my daughter drive it soon to see how she likes it. It is much quicker than the Terrain she currently drives, so that's a little scary.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
It is possible see Bimmertech.
Yes but its obnoxiously expensive and not OEM. Mazda will put OEM CarPlay on a 2016+ car for $350, or sell you the OEM parts for under $200. I'm naturally skeptical of paying a 3rd party company nearly $700 for a feature that might get broken with a future iOS or BMW software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Just got one of those. Waiting for it to arrive to test it out. Not OEM but a cheaper option!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Quote:
Yes but its obnoxiously expensive and not OEM. Mazda will put OEM CarPlay on a 2016+ car for $350, or sell you the OEM parts for under $200. I'm naturally skeptical of paying a 3rd party company nearly $700 for a feature that might get broken with a future iOS or BMW software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
See the previous poster's comments above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDriver18i View Post
Just got one of those. Waiting for it to arrive to test it out. Not OEM but a cheaper option!
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Also, the original poster Jwbaker13 is asking about a 2017 X1 sDrive28i not a
Mazda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbaker13 View Post
Hello all,
I was getting my car serviced today and noticed a 2017 X1 sDrive28i on the lot. It is a CPO with 37,600 on the clock. They are asking $21,191.
Thanks!
Therefore the cost to do it on the Mazda is not relevant to the OP because he is not considering purchasing one.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0