BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Jussie Smollett Indicted!

02-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #45
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Makes sense that the hoaxes are going to be pulled where they're going to get the most predictable knee-jerk positive reception and the least objective scrutiny. Which is going to be in areas where the TDS is epidemic.

Let's discuss the kid who didnt even do anything except wear a hat. He was the face of racism despite not having done anything except stand still and smirk while being taunted. Why wasn't the real coverage on the "Black Israelites" (who are labeled a national hate group) who were yelling at the kids and making hate-fueled comments the story? Why wasn't that native american elder who is a known rabble rouser part of the story? Then when the full video came out the headlines died down, then the family sued the networks. They settled and ONLY a minor mention of their settlement came out. Celebrities, influencers and the like trashed this kid. Afterward, SILENCE. Infuriating.

I have said this many times and I will say this again, I am not with either party. I do not favor any candidate at this time. I am simply aggravated, and annoyed with the media fueling this narrative of hate. It is not helping anything, it is only making us more divided. “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”
Appreciate 7
cmyx6go4252.50
Torgus2271.50
Conissah1038.00
lakefront266.50
Poiseuille4361.50

02-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #46
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Let's discuss the kid who didnt even do anything except wear a hat. He was the face of racism despite not having done anything except stand still and smirk while being taunted. Why wasn't the real coverage on the "Black Israelites" (who are labeled a national hate group) who were yelling at the kids and making hate-fueled comments the story? Why wasn't that native american elder who is a known rabble rouser part of the story? Then when the full video came out the headlines died down, then the family sued the networks. They settled and ONLY a minor mention of their settlement came out. Celebrities, influencers and the like trashed this kid. Afterward, SILENCE. Infuriating.

I have said this many times and I will say this again, I am not with either party. I do not favor any candidate at this time. I am simply aggravated, and annoyed with the media fueling this narrative of hate. It is not helping anything, it is only making us more divided. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
If I happen upon a discussion about something from the day's news and it becomes apparent that the participants get their news mostly or exclusively from the lamestream media and they've bought into it 100% with no skepticism at all, I don't join the discussion. There are so many good alternatives out there that don't all have the same bias. Some have a different bias, but at least it's adding variety. Consuming a variety of sources lets you weigh the relative credibility of them against one another.

Alas, the attention spans of most people has shrunk to that of a gnat. So they get their sound bite and then go back to watching sports. Sad.

02-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I agree completely. My grandfather used to read three different newspapers because he wanted to form his own opinion on a matter not regurgitate the opinion or spin of one particular outlet. I have tried to do the same.

In addition the site below is a decent way sift through options:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22742.50

02-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
I agree completely. My grandfather used to read three different newspapers because he wanted to form his own opinion on a matter not regurgitate the opinion or spin of one particular outlet. I have tried to do the same.

That's a great site to use! It's usually pretty accurate.

02-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Funny how CNN is listed as "mostly factual" while Fox New is "mixed" and Breitbart is listed as a "questionable source" (and mixed on facts).

NormanConquest won't like to see Epoch Times as "mixed":

Quote:
Overall, we rate The Epoch Times borderline Questionable and Right Biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the right. We also rate them factually Mixed due to the publication of pseudoscience and the promotion of pro-Trump propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as failed fact checks.
Ouch...

On FoxNews:
Quote:
Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared. Further, Fox News would be rated a Questionable source based on numerous failed fact checks by hosts and pundits, however straight news reporting is generally reliable, therefore we rate them Mixed for factual reporting.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 02-12-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
quick6553.50

02-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #50
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

at least they acknowledge and state that CNN is bias by omission and their guests are providing misleading information.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #51
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Read above on Fox. I hate to break it to you but CNN cleared this sniff test far better than Fox.

Quote:
Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on editorial positions that consistently favors the left, while straight news reporting falls left-center through bias by omission. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to misleading information presented by guests as well as a few failed fact checks by TV hosts. However, news reporting on the website tends to be be properly sourced with minimal failed fact checks.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
quick6553.50

02-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #52
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Fact checkers? Bias metrics? LOL.
They all push an agenda while trying to appear nuetral. Period.

Since they started popping up, iirc, around GW's second term they've been fudging opinions and it's only gotten worse. Scramble a persons mind with what they need to hear...for both sides of the isle.

"Well, so and so says you're wrong and I'm right"
"Nope, mine says you're wrong and I'M right"
Pffftt.

“To say of what is that it is, or of what is not that it is not, is true.”
Aristotle.
MKSixer22742.50
Poiseuille4361.50

02-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #53
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
When did free and independent thought vacate us? You can read news from any source and make up your own mind.

Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #54
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Difficult to make up your mind when facts are omitted or skewed or misinformation is presented or if you only get information from one source.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #55
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
When did free and independent thought vacate us? You can read news from any source and make up your own mind.
This ^^

Get the facts. Take into consideration the sources' vested intestest(s) and expertise. Use your skepticism, critical thinking, and common sense to draw the conclusion you feel is most valid/likely. Reward yourself with the beverage of your choice.
      02-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #56
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Difficult to make up your mind when facts are omitted or skewed or misinformation is presented or if you only get information from one source.
That's the problem with getting your news from a singular source. It's tough to hear someone criticize CNN when while only quoting Epoch times. It's easy to dig behind a sensational headline. It's not easy to filter out what's just plain incorrect.

Appreciate 2
      02-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #57
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
That's the problem with getting your news from a singular source. It's tough to hear someone criticize CNN when while only quoting Epoch times. It's easy to dig behind a sensational headline. It's not easy to filter out what's just plain incorrect.
I can't get over many on here criticizing CNN, when what they report matches what WSJ reports, and what AP reports, and what BBC reports, and what Reuters reports, and so on, and so on.........
      02-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #58
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
at least they acknowledge and state that CNN is bias by omission and their guests are providing misleading information.
Guests are biased? Nooiooooo.

02-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #59
quick6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Quote:

I still read three different newspapers and do not get news from dubious online sources.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast4546.00

02-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #60
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Blood did you write this article?

https://rewire.news/article/2019/02/...ssie-smollett/
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille4361.50

02-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #61
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
I still read three different newspapers and do not get news from dubious online sources.
you have to now even more so than before; in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I can't get over many on here criticizing CNN, when what they report matches what WSJ reports, and what AP reports, and what BBC reports, and what Reuters reports, and so on, and so on.........
CNN the channel (not the site) is like formal version of daily show. They chop up clips and stories or give opinionated pieces versus reporting.
One thing I can't believe and I am not sure if it is because I am old but Kennedy is now on Fox news. Homegirl went from MTV to Fox news.
I can't wait until Kurt Loder is the next Larry King.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent13699.00

02-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #62
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Not sure how "liberal" I am - but what is the question?

He should be penalized however much anyone else would once charged on Feb 24th.

Good to see it not being swept under the rug.
Name calling........its what the trumpsters do.
....the (unintentional) irony present in this short exchange is just one of the things i love about BP/OT-R&P.
RD my friend, you never fail to entertain.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #63
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

CNN is garbage, as most normal people know. Lol

Unless of course you submit yourself to drinking the koolaid!

Anyways... I will be following the part of the story regarding the Prosecutor dropping charges! Hmmmm... What wi happen there? Special counsel or not, indepe investigation or not. These people don't eat their own!

^^^ Mr Webb, the special prosecutor assigned in August to investigate how local prosecutors handled the case, said in a statement he was going to further prosecute Smollett.

The actor was charged with "making four separate false reports to Chicago Police Department officers related to his false claims that he was the victim of a hate crime, knowing that he was not the victim of a crime," Mr Webb said.

He added that his office had obtained "sufficient factual evidence" to argue that prosecutors were wrong to drop the case last year.^^^

Not wrong... The correct word would be "complicit"...
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410201.00
MKSixer22742.50

02-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #64
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:

[QUOTE=Torgus;25799425]

This can't be real because it doesn't confirm my bias for Fox being more accurate than CNN.

Cool Grandfather!!
      02-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #65
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Wait... people *watch* news? I only read it. Less showy and spinny.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #66
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Read above on Fox. I hate to break it to you but CNN cleared this sniff test far better than Fox.
Allegedly less corrupt is still corrupt.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast4546.00