E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Q: Catless Downpipes Anyone?

11-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Q: Catless Downpipes Anyone?

Probably on the list now as the Insurers only seem to list one exhaust mod to cover it all.
So I may as well go the whole hog.

Looking at the AR 3" catless DPs or Riss Racing as an option.

Anyone fitted similar to a RIGHT HAND DRIVE car advise if there are any fitment issues to be wary of?

Reason being the steering rack etc...
      11-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Probably on the list now as the Insurers only seem to list one exhaust mod to cover it all.

Anyone fitted similar to a RIGHT HAND DRIVE car advise if there are any fitment issues to be wary of?

Do some searching on the forums here or in particular in the US forum, and you'll have enough to read to last you for a couple of weeks.

Just FYI: Riss Racing has been out of business for some time, and their products were not good quality anyhow. If you want quality pieces, go for AR Design, in particular as they also produce a RHD version.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

I have RHD catless AR downpipes - they are great.

Fitment is fine, changing DPs is awkward none the less - but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

having some ar s fitted tomorrow at regal in southampton
will take and post pics and let you know the results
      11-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post

I did a lot of reading, and it seems the AR ones (specc'ed for RHD) are the only ones that will fit (properly) on a RHD car.

Just as well they are the best ones too.

Are you going to use the BMS O2 sensor frig to cancel the emissions warning?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

AR design fit RHD fine. Very fiddly job though as space is limited in that area.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Thanks guys, appreciate the SEARCH issue B3 Lux, but I did lot of reading before posting.
Almost all data refers to LHD cars and my issue is specifically mechanical clearance of the steering assembly.
Charlie, can you PM me the cost as I'll be looking to compare price with Birds and Regal (have used both before).
I already have the BMS O2 fix. kind of makes it permanent though, as you cant run decat with stock ecu then.

Reading the other thread from Dr Dave is a new issue - the EU proposals to change the MOT test.
They will be looking at physical CAT presence as well as emission rates closer to type test (oem published data) very soon.
Dont want trouble with that lot!
I'll chat to my Brother in law who runs a test centre soon.
      11-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

dropped car off this morning at regal and left them to it dyno'd 245 at wheels 320 bhp flywheel
dont know if this is good or bad the car has done 50k
took them 6 hours to take off old down pipes and put new A R s on !!!!!
I know Imran said it was fiddly but bloody hell!!!
forge diverters and procede piggy back ecu going on tomorrow
i dont think an accurate back to back power run can be done as it was 0.5 deg today and tomorrow looks like being a bit warmer
interestingly i expected a fault to show from emissions as not running any corrective software ie standard plus downpipes but every thing all fine
car seems to pull quicker but stop start traffic prevented anything else
also it was noted by the regal guys and myself that the downpipes can be quite raspy at different revs is this normal to any others who have had them replaced not blowing anywhere justs sounds not quite right
will let you know what the procede delivers tomorrow

Last edited by charliesum; 11-16-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
interesting thread!....keep posting guys...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

price was 720 inc vat but no idea on fitting price yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbh i think this is the first one they have done - un be known to me!
supersprint downpipes out of interest were quoted at £1800+

will let you know what happens tomorrow as i feel the procede on map 3 will be fairly similar to your JB3 software according to american websites
      11-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

i think the main problem appeared to be getting the sensors off to start with and then once the pipes had finally been replaced getting everything back together they even used the lad with girly hands!
      11-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I just ordered mine from the US for $830 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks doughboy!!!only saved you £200 - not worth bothering with really- DOH!!!
      11-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

is that total price do you have to pay import tax on it?
      11-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Thats the beauty of self-importing - you never quite know how much you'll get stung!!

VAT @ 17.5% & 2.7% duty for 'spark ingnition engine parts' means it could be quite a bit, plus the handling fee from the carrier for paying the tax for me (up to £30).

It depends what the sender puts on his shipping forms and whether the customs guys have had a bad day or not!

Last time I got something from the US the sender kindly put 'returned goods' on the form which meant it was exempt from all taxes.

We'll have to wait and see, but if i'm unlucky it'll probably cost me the same as you!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #16
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
dropped car off this morning at regal and left them to it dyno'd 245 at wheels 320 bhp flywheel
dont know if this is good or bad the car has done 50k
took them 6 hours to take off old down pipes and put new A R s on !!!!!
I know Imran said it was fiddly but bloody hell!!!
forge diverters and procede piggy back ecu going on tomorrow
i dont think an accurate back to back power run can be done as it was 0.5 deg today and tomorrow looks like being a bit warmer
interestingly i expected a fault to show from emissions as not running any corrective software ie standard plus downpipes but every thing all fine
car seems to pull quicker but stop start traffic prevented anything else
also it was noted by the regal guys and myself that the downpipes can be quite raspy at different revs is this normal to any others who have had them replaced not blowing anywhere justs sounds not quite right
will let you know what the procede delivers tomorrow

Raspy??

Is this normal for a downpipe upgrade?? If the rest of the exhaust is standard with i.e. still contains its secondary cats and resonators then from research I though the exhaust note has more of deeper tone and the turbo spool is louder.

I have a pair of AR design RHD catless downpipes sat in my garage waiting to be fitted. Wasn’t really looking for a raspy exhaust note though, anyone else having experience of this?

I paid £28 customs charge a month or so ago. Probably going to fit them in the New Year now when the weather improves as I’m not running a LSD and finding it hard to put the power down anywhere with the Evolve stage 1. Don’t really fancy be plucked out of a hedge backwards TBH.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

My DPs made the exhausts raspy with the golf tee mod done - but I removed this and it sounds fine now. This is on an e91 though - the e92 exhaust configuration is different.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I think the 'raspy' is more of a resonance at the DP rather than a rasp from the tailpipe maybe?

Anyway I'm sure it sounds great!

BTW - I've just been at Darren Woods BMW, Mike - who's done plenty of turbo-off and wastegate replacement and setup jobs on 335i's, reckons 2hrs tops on his own to fit the DPs PROPERLY with all bolts back and the sensors back in.

The front subframe needs dropping too - which I didn't realise.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
335i E92
Captain
Rep

My exhaust sometimes sounds raspy but its coming from the valve / flap in the back box. It seems to vibrate when opening under medium acceleration as its trying to open. Anyone else get this?

I much prefer the deep burble of the 335i compared to the metallic rasp of an M3. Feck it, as you say Mike i'm sure it'll sound sweet.

Great news on the labour time at woods, if they drop the sub frame will i have to get it realigned on a hunter? I was planning on fitting some Eibach arbs before the Evolve stage 3 but it probably makes sense to do it all together then get it on a hunter. Agreed?

BTW, coming up to a month of trouble free driving now post the Evolve remap. Thank you Imran, could not be happier!!

Will submit a full review after the Evolve stage 3 install in the New Year.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
if they drop the sub frame will i have to get it realigned on a hunter? I was planning on fitting some Eibach arbs before the Evolve stage 3 but it probably makes sense to do it all together then get it on a hunter. Agreed?
It shouldn't need a Hunter as subframes have a positive, fixed, location so they can only go back exactly where they came from.

Hi-jack, sorry....

I'd have a word with them about labour saving if you combine work though.

That said a Hunter from time to time is not a bad thing as, apparently, E9x back ends are prone to going out of settings pretty easily with road knocks.

I'm going to Sapphire for a full alignment now i've got the rear ride height corrected with new springs from Birds, going to go for M3 geometry to liven it up a bit.

http://www.sapphiregarage.co.uk/

Hi-jack over...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #21
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Can't believe that it took 6 hours to fit AR Design downpipes. This really emphasises the fact of using a experienced installer to do these, such as, Bird's or Evolve.

Doughboy - seems you're having a fantastic service at Darren Woods. Please stop posting about all the great service you're receiving, especially the price, because you're making people down here in London very jealous and envious. You're also making it very tempting for me to drive up there and spend a lot of money with them to get everything I need done.

335i e92 - if you do decide to drop the sub frame and are going to get the stage 3 done, I can not recommend enough getting M3 bushes installed. These are a fantastic upgrade which really firms up the back end of the car and aids all that power you will be getting, to instantaneously propel the car forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuggessur View Post
Can't believe that it took 6 hours to fit AR Design downpipes. This really emphasises the fact of using a experienced installer to do these, such as, Bird's or Evolve.

Doughboy - seems you're having a fantastic service at Darren Woods. Please stop posting about all the great service you're receiving, especially the price, because you're making people down here in London very jealous and envious. You're also making it very tempting for me to drive up there and spend a lot of money with them to get everything I need done.

335i e92 - if you do decide to drop the sub frame and are going to get the stage 3 done, I can not recommend enough getting M3 bushes installed. These are a fantastic upgrade which really firms up the back end of the car and aids all that power you will be getting, to instantaneously propel the car forward.

Hi ajuggessur

Sorry again to the op for the slight jack!!

Funny you should mention the M3 bushes, I was seriously contemplating fitting them with the arbs. My only concern was that I don’t have an LSD and I’d heard that it will be harder to get the power down with the stiffer M3 bushes.

Do you think the following set up will be ok without a Quaife diff? I don’t care for hooning of the lights but do like exploiting 2nd 3rd 4th mostly mid range.

• Eibach pro sport springs (already fitted)
• (265 rear) Falken 452’s (already fitted)
• Eibach arbs (Planned)
• M3 bushes (Planned / maybe?)

Currently saving for my wedding next year so Quaife diff is on the back burner. The reason I’m going for the Eibach arbs is the rear bar is only 2m thicker than stock and I assumed it would marry well with the springs.

I really want to get rid of the squat from the back end when quickly moving up the gears but don’t want to trade it for awful traction by firming up the back too much

What do you rekon, am I being too cautious?
Appreciate 0