BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 - From Summers to Winters review (in the dry)

12-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2018 - xdrive 28i

BMW X2 - From Summers to Winters review (in the dry)

For more images of the BMW X2 feel free to follow me on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/BlueIsTooAwesome/

Summer Tires - Pirelli P ZERO Run Flat Tires - 225/40r20 on 20" BMW wheels
Winter Tires - Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 non run flat tires- 225/50r18XL 95V on 18" Enkei PDC gloss black wheels

So I spoke about how well I loved the handling of the car in a previous thread... well I take all of that back after throwing on these winter tires.

I know that winter tires are more bouncy and soft, but I thought to myself I should go with something on the performance side of things since I love the drive and handling of the X2 and ended up going with the Blizzak LM-32 non run-flat. Well, it now feels that my drive has been neutered. Where I felt the road, direction of the wheel, the grip of the tire in turns, the bumps in the road, the instant acceleration, the stopping power.. it's all gone.

I was considering going to 19s with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S but.. those Pirelli P Zero run flats on 20s really made the drive come alive. So for everyone driving on different sets of tires and wheel sizes I now understand why the drive can be a bit bland now

If you have any tire recommendations for summers I'm all ears. I'm excited to get a new set of wheels and a set of summer tires back on.

Stay tuned for the full winter review (pending a few snow storms). Pretty excited to turn TC off and see how well X-drive will handle in deep snow.

Last edited by BlueX2; 12-19-2018 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Exactly what are you looking for in a tire? It makes a big difference what your objectives are. If you're looking at the PS4S, that's a excellent performance tire in dry and wet conditions.

The X2 is a tough vehicle to purchase tires for, due to the unicorn size of the standard 225/40R20 94Y XL tire. I have yet to see any other tire of that size available other than the OE P ZERO RUN FLAT (PZ4). I can't imagine what the engineers at BMW were smoking to select this tire and this tire size. I do not like these tires at all, due to the harsh ride (run flat) and the noise and it's hard to understand why they would select a tire that was sole source. I regret not checking this before I order the vehicle, or I would have ordered the 19" wheels instead. I will be shopping for a 235/35-20 when it's time to replace the OE tires and it will not be a Pirelli, at least if I can help it.

I have Michelin PS2 on the front of my M3 and Continental ExtremeContact DW on the rear. The PS2 handle well, but they don't last very long (especially on the rear ). The PS2 was replaced by the PSS. They are excellent tires, but they are going out of stock, replaced by the PS4S, which is even better than the PSS. The Continentals are wearing okay, but they have very soft sidewalls, so the back-end of my car is unsettled with them. I would have put Michelin PSS on the back, except at the time, they were not available in the size I wanted (285/30-19) except in run flat, which was a show stopper. Continental has since come out with a new tire called the ExtremeContact Sport, which is on par with the PSS.

If you're planning to downsize to 19", get a wider wheel so you can comfortably fit a 235 width tire on it (e.g., 8.5"). That will result in a wider selection of available tires, but be careful of the offset. To maintain clearance with the suspension, you need to move the tire outward, just don't get carried away.

If you go for 225/45-19, PS4S and the Continental ExtremeContact Sport are available. I wouldn't go to 18". Due to the tall tire, you need a 50 series tire to maintain the diameter, which will kill the handling, as you have found.
Appreciate 1
BlueX230.00
      12-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2018 - xdrive 28i

Looking for performance.. mainly handling in dry/wet summers. More dry than wet here in Toronto.

I'm ok with getting new wheels when I burn through the stock P ZEROs so going to 19s and going wider isn't an issue with me. I'd probably bring it flush to the body if possible to get a cleaner look. Still on the fence about coil overs or bags but I'll wait until I get the new wheels if I'll be happy again. Biggest thing I'm looking for is a fun engaged drive
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueX2 View Post
Looking for performance.. mainly handling in dry/wet summers. More dry than wet here in Toronto.

I'm ok with getting new wheels when I burn through the stock P ZEROs so going to 19s and going wider isn't an issue with me. I'd probably bring it flush to the body if possible to get a cleaner look. Still on the fence about coil overs or bags but I'll wait until I get the new wheels if I'll be happy again. Biggest thing I'm looking for is a fun engaged drive
If you're looking for performance, then IMO your best choices are PSS, PS4S or Continental ExtremeContact Sport. There are more choices in 19" for an 8.5" wheel width than for 8" width. That's typically a 235 width tire.

The specification for the OE P Zero is attached. Look for a tire with as close as possible diameter as the OE tires, so your speedometer will not change.

There are lots of offset calculators. If you go for a wider wheel, make sure you maintain a reasonably close offset to the OE wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BlueX230.00