BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Grinding while braking, no pad wear alarm. Pad/rotor time but is it ok to drive?

08-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
DrPeteF48
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48, Jet Black

Grinding while braking, no pad wear alarm. Pad/rotor time but is it ok to drive?

So just in the last day or so my 2017 F48 XDrive with 34k miles developed an impressive grinding noise when braking to a stop, along with a little "womp womp womp" when accelerating from a stop that makes me think I have a warped rotor. Pad wear is still reading OK but it's probably about that time and it's probably time for pads and rotors.

Simple question, since it's a saturday night and the shop won't open till monday--I'm already driving conservatively and trying to stay light on the brake pedal, but is there any danger in continuing to drive if I've already resigned myself to new pads and rotors?

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPeteF48 View Post
So just in the last day or so my 2017 F48 XDrive with 34k miles developed an impressive grinding noise when braking to a stop, along with a little "womp womp womp" when accelerating from a stop that makes me think I have a warped rotor. Pad wear is still reading OK but it's probably about that time and it's probably time for pads and rotors.

Simple question, since it's a saturday night and the shop won't open till monday--I'm already driving conservatively and trying to stay light on the brake pedal, but is there any danger in continuing to drive if I've already resigned myself to new pads and rotors?

Thanks for the info.
Pad wear sensors are not reliable. They are only on one pad, not both. If your car is making a lot of noise, it's probably too late to save the rotor, but just in case, take the wheel off and take a close look at both pads. If either is down to the metal, you will have to change the rotor and pads and you should do both sides. If there aren't signs of metal on metal, then you may be able to get away with pads only. You can drive the vehicle, but be aware the brake effectiveness is reduced substantially if any of the pads are worn down to the metal.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
Imaustralian
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48, S-Drive 18D

Actually I spoke with a BMW Tech today and he said the design of the brakes on the F48 is such as you can't replace just the pads, but have to replace the rotors as well. Cost in Australia is around $2,000 +
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaustralian View Post
Actually I spoke with a BMW Tech today and he said the design of the brakes on the F48 is such as you can't replace just the pads, but have to replace the rotors as well. Cost in Australia is around $2,000 +
Well that's a load of balls!! I've had front & rear pads replaced on mine without issue & am still on the original discs.

Tell him he's having a laugh & go find a better dealer for the work.
Appreciate 0