BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Change of rims and tyres

11-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

Change of rims and tyres

I've managed to get hold of a set of four 18" M570 styling rims three of which have TPMS fitted, the idea being to shift from 19" rims with run flats to non run flats.
Once I have equipped the fourth rim with a TPMS sensor, will a reset of the TPMS system via the iDrive be all that's required or will I need a re-programme for the new set of TPMS sensors to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

As long as you have a set of the proper sensors...reset can be done with I drive. Unless you are sure of age of the sensors that came with your rims...I'd just buy a set..they have batteries, so an older sensor might well die B4 you're ready for a new set of tires (opps tyres).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Sanqhar
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48 not yet

Does this change affect the speedo accuracy?

Are you changing for a better ride quality? I’m interested because I’m considering an X1 and ride comfort is high on my list.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanqhar View Post
Does this change affect the speedo accuracy?

Are you changing for a better ride quality? I’m interested because I’m considering an X1 and ride comfort is high on my list.

Tom
We are running on 225/50R18 car is XLine XDrive non run flat tyres and the ride is just great,if I go to sport mode it is not as comfortable at all. For comfort I would try and keep 50 or 55 profile and keep away from MSport models
I run 245/40R17 on the Z3 and that can be hard.
On my previous X1 I had RunonFlat and have to say over the years they have improved vastly, from my first experience back in 2003.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

I bought four secondhand M570 style 18" rims two of which had good non run flat Bridgestone tyres fitted. Bought two new tyres to match and decided to have the four rims re finished.

Having discussed the options with my local wheel re finishers I decided to opt to have the rims finished in the Ferric Grey colour but not to have them diamond cut.
The re finishers stated that the thickness of any finishing lacquer applied to a diamond cut rim is very thin at the corners of the diamond cut sections and as such a simple scratch etc is an easy point for moisture ingress, and the dreaded alloy corrosion that can follow.
They will not guarantee a diamond cut wheel but by having the same colour overall and no cutting, i was given a years warranty.
Wheels look lovely - will get them onto vehicle and report again regarding comfort and noise levels etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

I hope you have better experience with noise level on Bridgestone tyres than I have had. I have found them acceptable when new but become very noisy as they wear.
On my last X1 e84 it came with Bridgestone Dueller Sport and I was so happy to change them over to Contis as soon as they worn down
The new X1 f48 is running on Bridgestone Turanza T001 and again the noise level is increasing as they wear. They have now done 10,000 miles and become very noisy.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

The tyre roadnoise is the main disappointment with my X1. Mind you UK road surfaces don’t help either. We have just been to Paris and back ( yes we survived the yellow jackets) and my wife and I immediately noticed how quiet the car is on just about all French roads. That includes the C roads.
The noise is reduced when on the smaller winter wheels and tyres as approved by BMW for the F48.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
The tyre roadnoise is the main disappointment with my X1. Mind you UK road surfaces don’t help either.
The noise is reduced when on the smaller winter wheels and tyres as approved by BMW for the F48.
I've noticed the positive difference in the level of road noise since fitting my BMW supplied winter wheel/tyre set (Pirelli Winter SottoZero3) a couple of weeks ago. The ride comfort also seems to have improved on the smaller 17" rims.

Last edited by oakey46; 12-10-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0