BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2017 x1 Xdrive Steel rims

11-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Phaddie
Rep
Drives: 2017 x1

2017 x1 Xdrive Steel rims

Hey guys,

I have a Canadian 2017 X1 with the 19" wheels. I want to put 17" winter tires and wheels on it.

I know I need 225 55 r17 tires. Winters here in canada can be harsh so I wanted to just put steel rims on it. I cannot seem to find a place that says they can do it.

Is there something I am missing? Why can I not put steel wheels on this car?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Phad
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Phaddie
Rep

Update:

Talked to about the billionth tire place today. He finally explained that steel wheels will not fit over the calipers in this car.

Not sure if it is true but it is at least an explanation.

I feel leary about getting rims that need rings to fill in the bore, I feel like the weight of the car would then be on these plastic rings and that would not be good in the long run.

Thoughts? Should I spend the extra money and try to get direct fit or are multifit safe?

Thanx in advance

Phad.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Bootleg_Maximus
Rep
Drives: F48 Glaciersilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaddie View Post
Update:

Talked to about the billionth tire place today. He finally explained that steel wheels will not fit over the calipers in this car.

Not sure if it is true but it is at least an explanation.

I feel leary about getting rims that need rings to fill in the bore, I feel like the weight of the car would then be on these plastic rings and that would not be good in the long run.

Thoughts? Should I spend the extra money and try to get direct fit or are multifit safe?

Thanx in advance

Phad.
I'd bet that the person you spoke with is correct about the steel wheels and lack of caliper clearance. I also would worry about hub-centric rings failing. the lug nuts/studs are what holds the wheel in place. The hub rings only insure the alignment with the lugs are correct. They only way they could fail is if there is excessive play in the wheel. You have bigger fish to fry if that's the case. Also, hub-centric rings are generally made of alloy, not plastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Phaddie
Rep

Thanx so much for the information. I found some direct fit alloy wheels that were not that much more than steel rims.

Phad.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Don't get hub rings. Tried that with aftermarket wheels on my E90, felt like I was driving on train tracks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
systo
Rep
Drives: '15 Tiggy

It's all in the material used for hub rings if you need them. TBH I'd actually suggest getting a set of high-quality Delrin (higher quality polycarbonate used as a substitute for aluminum in some cases) rings over Aluminum or those ubiquitous eBay plastic ones (you don't know the type of polycarbonate used) for a few reasons...
  • Less likely to seize on steel axles, just ask any wheel installer...
  • Less prone to corrosion
  • I've noticed they take impacts better.

Last edited by systo; 11-21-2018 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Phaddie
Rep

I ended up getting some 17inch alloy rims at Active Green and Ross with Michelin x-ice 3.

I ordered direct fit wheels so that there were no plates or hub rings needed. They look great!

Thanx for all the advice.
Appreciate 0