BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Kidney Grille Install

10-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
lex2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x2M

Kidney Grille Install

Has anyone done a self install with the kidney grilles? On all older model BMW's I was able to do the yank and clip method. This time around on my x2 seems like I may need to go through the bumper? Dealer wants to charge me at least $180 for labor which is double the part cost.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Lol, it's a pain. It takes a good 40 minutes. Open the hood and remove the center weatherstrip near the front bumper/kidney grills and the piece holding top section that holds the front bumper cover.

You need a long flat head screwdriver and a flashlight. Start with the top clips, the gap you create by removing the piece that holds the top section of the bumper cover is all you need. Use the flathead screwdriver push the top clips down and pull on the kidney grill until the top section is loose.

Then work on the side clips. You can reach your hand through the gap you created when loosening the top and side clips of the kidney grill and undo the bottom clips. Repeat for the other side except you can now reach your hand through to the other kidney grill for the bottom clips.

I apologize for the crappy instructions, but it should get you started.