F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Needed xDrive
Studio RSR

05-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Needed xDrive

........for the first time in my life.

I was picking up my son from Beavers, one of the 'outdoors' events they go on occasionally, which was off a main road down a dirt track.

Coming back out I was faced with an uphill climb through a narrow section (gate close to road), which was surfaced with something similar to pea shingle. The track joined the main road at 90 degrees, and because it was narrow, meant you couldn't angle into the main road. Also, because of the gate and vegetation, you couldn't see the main road until you were almost on it.....so no chance of a running start.
The road itself was on the brow of a rolling hill, meaning you couldn't see the traffic on it until the last minute, and being NSL, meant cars were approaching at 60+mph from both directions. So a slow and steady approach was out.

And one final factor to complete the challenge......the scout leaders and other parents were in view, so a 'smoky n the bandit' style fishtailing approach was out......damn!!!!

Hmmmmm......so there you have it, one occasion where NISFAN thinks xDrive would have been a little bit 'handy'
Appreciate 1
Cookies64.00
      05-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
........for the first time in my life.

I was picking up my son from Beavers, one of the 'outdoors' events they go on occasionally, which was off a main road down a dirt track.

Coming back out I was faced with an uphill climb through a narrow section (gate close to road), which was surfaced with something similar to pea shingle. The track joined the main road at 90 degrees, and because it was narrow, meant you couldn't angle into the main road. Also, because of the gate and vegetation, you couldn't see the main road until you were almost on it.....so no chance of a running start.
The road itself was on the brow of a rolling hill, meaning you couldn't see the traffic on it until the last minute, and being NSL, meant cars were approaching at 60+mph from both directions. So a slow and steady approach was out.

And one final factor to complete the challenge......the scout leaders and other parents were in view, so a 'smoky n the bandit' style fishtailing approach was out......damn!!!!

Hmmmmm......so there you have it, one occasion where NISFAN thinks xDrive would have been a little bit 'handy'
Did you get out or are you still there? Do you need me to come and pull you out?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackyDobbo_Dobster_D'BO View Post
Did you get out or are you still there? Do you need me to come and pull you out?
I survived, but thanks for the offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I survived, but thanks for the offer.
No worries,
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

You would be surprised just how often xdrive comes in handy, in wet or greasy conditions you can pull out of junctions into much smaller gaps, same with overtakes from low speeds, and of course beating just about anything off the line from traffic lights! Really the only downside is they don't come with M Sport springs, which it appears should be fixed on the G20!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

think this is how its done

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0