BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW M CEO: First Full EV To Demolish Nurburgring Records. I6 Engine Market Booming

09-09-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
BMW M CEO: First Full EV To Demolish Nurburgring Records. I6 Engine Market Booming

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
BMW’s first pure electric full-fat M model will assert its position as a bonafide high-performance driving machine by toppling all Nurburgring records set before it by petrol powered M-power machines.

While a fully electric M car is many years away from a production line – as per BMW's global launch strategy – the German powerhouse is already busy developing potent electrified drivetrains, poised to infuse genuine track ability into an E-M model once the technology reaches its zenith.

Enter BMW's Neue Klasse family – the vanguard that will pave the way for an all-electric M experience spawning a car that embodies the very essence of BMW's high-performance ethos – demonstrable, says BMW, through Nurburgring record demolition.

BMW's high-performance division head said that a battery-powered M-asterpiece won't receive any preferential treatment on the gruelling Nurburgring track, and it’ll only make its grand entrance when it's ready to break every company lap record before it.
"We just had four new records on the Nurburgring with the M2, M3 Touring, M3 CS, and the prototype car, so this one (electric M) has to top that," said BMW M CEO Frank van Meel. "We are quite optimistic that it will be able to do that, because it has to."

Van Meel described the current Nurburgring champions as 'quite good' but minced no words in asserting that their recent lap records in various classes would pale in comparison to BMW's electric pioneer.

As significant as the record claims are, BMW’s electric M marvel will be armed with a game-changing innovation in the form of a singular electronic control unit – a technological leap that'll redefine the driving experience not just for M models, but for the entire line-up, says BMW.

According to van Meel, the electronic innovation, announced during the Neue Klasse international reveal in Munich, consolidates the drivetrain, stability, and dynamics control into one centralised unit, creating what BMW CEO Oliver Zipse dubbed the ‘heart of joy.'

This advancement in technology offers BMW a multitude of new possibilities. “It’s a different balance of performance but with new tools,” says van Meel.

A year ago, the world caught a glimpse of a mysterious BMW M prototype tearing up the track, serving as the test bed for this revolutionary system. Fast forward to today, and a production version is tantalisingly close to reality.

"We have a concept car on the road with four independent electric motors, and they are run by this electronic architecture in the car," confirmed van Meel. "We can run from one to four engines with this architecture, which gives us a lot of things to play with, and that's what we're working on right now to find the right setup for our M vehicles.”

Van Meel compared the new system and approach with the company’s first all-wheel drive M-car but said the game had moved on significantly since then.

“We already did it a little bit with the X5 M where everyone said you can’t do a four-wheel-drive with M but we said, yes we can, if we have a centralised logic that we call ‘hand of god’. This is quadrupling that principle.”

But don’t reach for the cheque book just yet; the first electric M isn't slated to be one of the six models launching in the 24 months following the debut of the inaugural Neue Klasse model in 2025. BMW is taking its time to ensure that the M badge stands for nothing less than perfection in the realm of electrified power.

“Since it is Neue Klasse, which means new class, also M has to be part of the future of the new class. Obviously it will be, and we’ve been working on the architecture of the new class and driving dynamics and a lot of other things so we can make a pure M out of Neue Klasse.”

“Of course, M always comes a little bit later – that is the strategy of M.
"First we start with the regular cars, although ‘regular’ might be the wrong word for these cars. We’ll do something on top later on.”

And that puts the debut of the first proper electric M car at a date no earlier than the latter part of 2026.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/bmw...urgring-record

Quote:
The man behind M: A chat with Frank van Meel

Controversy, challenges, EVs and retaining its identity: the future is fraught for BMW M. We speak to the man tasked with dragging a performance icon into a new era.

The man in charge of the performance world’s most famous single letter, M, closes his eyes and shakes his head, a pained expression passing across his face.

Frank van Meel is cold, his chin tucked into the high collar of his branded jacket as we huddle around a feeble gas heater in pitlane at The Bend near Adelaide, yet he’s working himself into a lather as he explains the complexity of making BMW M’s first ever fully electric car.

Finally, after delving into the benefits and challenges using four individual electric motors on M’s forthcoming EV, which is already testing, should produce in excess of 1000hp (745kW) and will debut a cutting-edge control unit known as ‘the hand of God’, van Meel sighs and says: “It’s… complicated”.

He’s right, of course, but technical complexity is just one of the challenges facing M’s first EV. The bigger question mark surrounds how it’ll be received by M’s diehard fan base…

Right now BMW M is on a roll. The M5 CS is one of the company’s best ever efforts, the new M2 is punchy, engaging and continues the magic of the original and then there are the M3 Touring and M5 Touring, cars that threaten to usurp the mighty Audi RS4 and RS6 as the ultimate all-weather, everyday performance cars.

But there are treacherous waters ahead. The polarising XM, which is the company’s second bespoke car following the legendary M1 of the late ’70s, is getting a lukewarm reception from the press and M’s traditional fan base.

And once petrol engines, evocative soundtracks and manual gearboxes make way for electrons, how does M retain its identity?

This isn’t a distant horizon, either. M says more than half of its volume will be electrified by 2027.

Which is perhaps why Frank van Meel has returned as the boss of M. This is the 46 year-old Dutchman’s second tilt at M’s top job, having previously held the role between 2015-18.

A car industry veteran, van Meel studied engineering in Berlin before working at Continental and then landing the top job at Audi Quattro (now Audi Sport) where he established his performance credentials by overseeing models like the R8 supercar and TT RS.

A switch to BMW followed in 2014, with van Meel’s first stint as the head of M seeing the famously rear-driven brand embrace all-wheel drive with the introduction of a new, fully variable system on the M5.

It also fleshed out M’s model hierarchy, with the line-up expanding to include the sought after (and profitable) Competition, CS and CSL badges. But then BMW’s HR department came knocking…

“At BMW Group you’re not supposed to do one job longer than five years,” van Meel tells us. “So after four years, I had to move to headquarters to get to know BMW better.”

Van Meel’s new role made him responsible for Total Vehicle Development, which had a strong focus on future vehicle architectures and strategy for EVs – handy homework when his current task is dragging BMW M into the electrified age. So what is van Meel’s philosophy on high-performance EVs?

“Our overall goal is to be better than the current M cars,” he says, rather simply.

M’s electric expansion is already well advanced, of course. The i4 M50 and upcoming i5 M60 are just two examples of fully electric models already in market. And M debuted its first ever plug-in hybrid powertrain in the XM SUV, which combines a 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 with a 25.7kWh battery and a single e-motor to produce outputs as high as 550kW/800Nm.

The new M5, which is due to arrive later this year as both a sedan and a wagon, is also heavily tipped to use plug-in power, though it’s unlikely to top the XM for power.

“I think there is a natural limit where you say even more power does not help,” van Meel says. “And with 750 horsepower (560kW), I think that is the top of what you should do with a drivetrain like that because I mean, okay you can do even more, but the car doesn't get faster anymore. The overall harmony in the car is perfect with 750 horsepower.”

Prioritising balance and connection, rather the outright power, provides an interesting insight into how van Meel is approaching the challenge of creating M’s first ‘full fat’ EV.

Already being tested as an i4 development mule, M’s forthcoming quad-motor EV is likely to produce in excess of 1000hp (750kW) but van Meel is more concerned about repeatability of performance rather than a headline power figure.

“The interesting thing if you look at electric performance is how much performance can you deliver continuously,” he says. “It’s very easy to have huge numbers in like a ‘boost mode’ and for like 10 seconds say I can give you a megawatt out of the e-motors, so 1360hp. But actually, it doesn’t help because you use it once and then the car needs 10 minutes to cool down.”

Building a high performance EV that can maintain its peak power for extended periods is clearly a top priority for van Meel, with the Dutchman predicting a divide between manufacturers chasing a big power number and others who place more of a focus on track driving.

“There will be a few that can stay on the track and the other ones who are just show offs,” he says.

“What’s really important for high-performance electric cars is they have this continuous power. And that’s in regards to the electric motors but also in regards to the high voltage battery cooling system and the cabling.”

Which is where BMW’s potentially groundbreaking ‘integrated driving dynamics system’ comes in.

Known inside M as ‘the hand of God’, it’s easiest to think of the system as a gigantic brain that won’t only control the four individual e-motors and electronic stability and traction control systems but also the braking regen (van Meel says up to 1G of deceleration is possible) and torque vectoring.

“It’s very clear you need a centralised control unit,” says van Meel. “And with that, you can also make the car drive like something you’ve never seen before.”

The issue, and the reason the usually reserved father of six gets quite animated during our interview, is that making ‘the hand of God’ work is proving to be quite the challenge.

“It’s the next step and it’s even more difficult that the already difficult task of getting the continuous power output,” van Meel says. “We need a completely different kind of system architecture, including software. So it’s hardware, it’s software and it’s the drivetrain and only if you can manage those things, and all of those things, do you get the perfect car. And that’s what we’re striving for.”

Time is on van Meel’s side, for now. Ask him to commit to a date for M’s first EV and all he’ll offer is “it’s going to take place this decade”, suggesting the evolution from combustion to hybrid to full electric will be a steady but inevitable progression. There will be some casualties along the way, though…

M has already firmly ditched dual-clutch gearboxes in favour of conventional automatics.

And if you ask van Meel about the future of the manual, his response is swift and brutal: “they will disappear”. Happily the news is brighter when it comes to the iconic straight six.

“The market is booming for six-cylinder inline engines,” he says. “We love it and the customers love it, so it’s probably going to be around for quite a while.
” Hurrah.

So it’s shaping up to be a busy half-decade for BMW M. On top of developing its first EV, it’s also chasing an aggressive sales increase and hopes to top 200,000 units globally this year. Motorsport is also expanding, with the German brand returning to top tier prototype racing at Le Mans in 2024.

Despite the potential for distraction, however, it’s clear that building cars with a sense of connection is a top priority for van Meel. As is exploring ways to keep weight gain as low as possible, despite the unavoidable heft of EVs.

“Of course, with battery driven cars, the weight will go up,” he says. “ The good thing is we have been fighting weight since the beginning because weight is our, let's say, basic enemy.

"But it's like in racing, you have this window of performance and it's always about aerodynamics, weight, fuel consumption and efficiency. So that's what we're used to. So it's finding a new position in that window of performance.”

View it that way and van Meel’s challenge suddenly doesn’t seem so daunting. The ingredients for an electrified future might have changed, but the overarching method is reassuringly familiar: to deliver an engaging driver’s car. And on that front, BMW M and Frank van Meel have form.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...frank-van-meel
Name:  meel.jpg
Views: 7669
Size:  128.4 KB

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 09-10-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 10
chassis6552.50
Llarry15961.00
playswcars3633.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
2srsman68.00
jmxtrem79.50
FreeDarko217.00
heavyD^23688.50
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      09-11-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Right. Love it. Than recharge after one lap cause it will not make another. Thank you but thank you.
Appreciate 29
10"4974.50
MDuckie93.00
somer966.00
Blue87375.50
Habs86.50
zcp31294.50
mrdudley356.50
DrKevM52273.50
M3ANSPEC393.00
brava09767.00
werdn656.00
BigHunk269.50
Bimmer5452.00
oz555672.00
kreb15.00
Shaq935.00
Coconut751.00
      09-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #3
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
Right. Love it. Than recharge after one lap cause it will not make another. Thank you but thank you.
So if battery longevity is fixed, you quit bitching once for all, right ?

You're easy to please.

ghaffari461126.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
jmack1231300.50
co_440i108.00
sahajesh2294.00
x622962.00
BMW-X157.00
D4T10.50
M3 boi3211.00
f82fanatic1043.00
mp3_in7.50
      09-11-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As for any electric car they’re good to drive around as daily shopping picking dropping kids to/from school driving to work and back. They’re crap for racing and long distance driving. That’s a fact. Oh and that’s in mild climate. Not too hot and not too cold unless new second gen dry battery packs are ready for production. Yes. I am doing my research. If you are ready to wait 20-30 min to charge battery powered car while on the trip you’re welcome if you are ready to be beta tester you are more than welcome
Appreciate 13
m2for2227.00
Smiler1.50
DavidXJ663.00
brava09767.00
Joachim328.00
jvilla107480.00
mp3_in7.50
      09-11-2023, 06:24 PM   #5
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I'd like to see how they expect to make a 5000+lb hog break all the N-ring records. Maybe EV records only.
Appreciate 8
Germanauto9702.50
agentrnge380.50
brava09767.00
drexplode1784.50
J338.50
      09-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I'd like to see how they expect to make a 5000+lb hog break all the N-ring records. Maybe EV records only.
I’d like it to actually be 5000 lbs instead of 6 🤣
Appreciate 7
Blue87375.50
brava09767.00
NYAWE60649.50
jad4ca3.50
m3less130.00
      09-11-2023, 11:00 PM   #7
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
As for any electric car they’re good to drive around as daily shopping picking dropping kids to/from school driving to work and back.
That’s 99% of car usage.
Appreciate 23
Needsdecaf6599.00
Click_ID567.50
F32Fleet3571.50
co_440i108.00
m2for2227.00
mrdudley356.50
DrKevM52273.50
M3ANSPEC393.00
BMW-X157.00
OUGrad05526.50
BigHunk269.50
M3 boi3211.00
Nahlem1144.00
heavyD^23688.50
Bowser330288.50
falconey483.00
      09-11-2023, 11:43 PM   #8
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not seeing what is "groundbreaking". Rivian is already selling quad motor EV's, with ecu that controls stability control, suspension, drivetrain.
Appreciate 1
Bowser330288.50
      09-11-2023, 11:51 PM   #9
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Yeah, I am not sure what Nurburgring records that plan on "demolishing"?

Rimac Nevera is currently the pinnacle of EV battery technology. It is hard to really improve upon it, until solid state batteries become reality.

Nevera is a carbon monocoque chassis, with a 120kwh battery pack, active aero and quad motors. It just set a ring time of 7:05. Couldn't break the 7min barrier, for a $2mill price tag.

Last edited by M3WC; 09-12-2023 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 10
BMWILUVU809.00
Habs86.50
JTO245276.00
BigHunk269.50
baj_baj182.50
m3less130.00
      09-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #10
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Yawn 🥱
Appreciate 3
DavidXJ663.00
kreb15.00
      09-12-2023, 08:23 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

sure... he has to say that... then when we see the record it will have a lot of caveats...

not sure how a 5k lb plus EV M car could be an enjoyable experience... the XM (which is still partially an ICE vehicle) as an actual M car is universally panned and my local dealer has been sitting on one for 6 months
      09-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
That’s 99% of car usage.
See. For me it’s about that 1%. Maybe I am not so easy to pleased after all 🤣
Anyway. For the money you need to spend on average electric car purchase I will just not deal with their various limitations range anxiety using seat heater opposed to normal heat to maximize its range trying to find fast enough charging stations. I agree that those vehicles are appealing to some. Just not for me. Like I said. I refuse to be beta tester at 60K-100K a pop. Once solid state batteries become available that might change. I already see those first gen cars dropping in value like flies. I don’t have satisfaction from that however some of Tesla users sound like a cult of some sort. I don’t see those cars better than ICE. Electric are different and not for me. There’s only one I find aesthetically appealing. It’s Audi E-tron GT or whatever it’s called. Latest Model S is not bad either. However I don’t like/want digging into menus to change temperature or switching radio station. And I don’t talk to cars.
Appreciate 2
Habs86.50
      09-12-2023, 09:25 AM   #13
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
sure... he has to say that... then when we see the record it will have a lot of caveats...

not sure how a 5k lb plus EV M car could be an enjoyable experience... the XM (which is still partially an ICE vehicle) as an actual M car is universally panned and my local dealer has been sitting on one for 6 months
Electric Mercedes are sitting at my wife’s dealership lot as well. No one wants them. Whoever wanted one already purchased it. They will be giving them away at one point.
Appreciate 6
ASAP10161.00
SoCali E361000.00
DavidXJ663.00
BigHunk269.50
NGT25617.50
NYAWE60649.50
      09-12-2023, 11:55 AM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Advanced stage of BMW M's "Project Katharina" ?
      09-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #15
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

A couple of comments above on the record they are breaking. They are shooting to break the top BMW M petrol based record. The statement does not indicate that they are looking to be the fastest ever. Just the fastest compared to M power petrol vehicles.

From the article..."BMW’s first pure electric full-fat M model will assert its position as a bonafide high-performance driving machine by toppling all Nurburgring records set before it by petrol powered M-power machines."
Appreciate 6
m2for2227.00
BMW-X157.00
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Brandt51887.50
m3less130.00
      09-12-2023, 08:52 PM   #16
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:

Straight-line its great but sux in quick maneuvering and fast turns. Overall it gets boring quickly. They can't rewrite physics. They need to make batteries much lighter in weight.
Appreciate 1
brava09767.00
      09-13-2023, 07:12 AM   #17
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:

There hasn't been 6 months since XM deliveries started.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
There hasn't been 6 months since XM deliveries started.
It's been there months... not sure this changes the point.
      09-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

yes another ICE vs electric

Appreciate 4
      09-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #20
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Probably gonna need new brakes after that
      09-13-2023, 12:03 PM   #21
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
That’s 99% of car usage.
Only 1% of a vehicles use is NOT around town running short errands ?

For most people , who take at least 2 or 3 road trips per year, that isn't the case.

The average driver is putting about 12,000 miles on their car per year.

Let's say one road trip is 600 miles round-trip . Another is 700. And the third is 1,000 miles.

So that's 2,300 miles for road trips and vacations.

That's almost 20% of your vehicles mileage every year.

Not to mention , the amount of people who travel for work . And retired people who like to travel and take road trips.

Most people don't want to have to stop every few hours and look for a charging station , and then spend another 20 to 30 minutes charging your vehicle.
Appreciate 3
NGT25617.50
tsbrown1038.00
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      09-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Looooool ☠️