BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 2018 X1 Reversing Camera [Retrofit] wiring query

11-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
Sciamos
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 2.0

F48 2018 X1 Reversing Camera [Retrofit] wiring query

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for reading… I have searched this site (and others) and read through the service docs in hopes of finding an answer… but in failing to do so, thought I may ask the members herein.

Apologies in advance for being loquacious.

I did not get the reversing camera… it just slipped my mind… when ordering my X1. My other BMW has it, and, although I have rear PDC, I would quite like to have it on this car as well.

I bought a ‘kit’ off eBay, and the gent was very nice, and even used Remote Desktop to code my car through my laptop using e-Sys. However, this did not work. He said that there was some change to the late 2017+ model year, and, although he had believed it would work with 2018s, the control box for this unit did not. I can now see this change in the eBay auctions: 2016-17 ‘kits’ are around £200, but the 2017+ ones are £350+. Bimmertech and the likes are even more.

So, my query:

I can buy a tailgate handle (if you’re reading this because you are also interested in a camera, please note that all of those ‘kits' I’ve seen for sale do not allow for the handle button on the boot lid to still work!), with a camera, all used/OEM, for just over £100.

Is there anything besides the camera? I mean, all the ‘kits’ have control boxes, wouldn’t this too?

Well, I came across the wiring diagram for the camera. The camera has eight connections (which are verified by the photos of those units I’ve seen for sale, not including those for the boot button), and these all go to existing systems and the head unit. There would appear to be no dedicated control box.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...era/1VnXhE6RKE

All other notations on the diagram have to do with PDC (right side), and I already have this.

I don’t personally see any reason I can’t just avoid the cost of a ‘kit,’ purchase an OEM camera, and wire it in to: 12V, ground, PINs 12, 13, and 25 on R3*1B (right side of boot - CAN L and CAN H are here), and PINs 21, 23, and 24 of the headunit (FBAS + and FBAS- are here). I worked extensively with the “kit” chap on the wiring, as his unit was wired incorrectly, and I had to fix this, so I became familiar with the locations of these. I do not, however, know what PINs 13 and 23 on this list are doing. Regardess, coding has been done.

Would anyone know if my logic here is sound? Or perhaps tempting? I may just try it to see, but I certainly wouldn’t wish to cause the systems any damage in doing so.

Thank you very much!
Sciamos

p.s. to get to the head unit is very easy. Using plastic tools for removing car body parts, you pry out the whole piece from the far passenger’s side (including the vent), to the steering wheel. It takes with it everything around the Headunit (including those two vents), and the climate controls. The Headunit is then held in with two Torx screws. There is an unused (in my case) wire on the left of the trim, one going to the hazard/braking control, one going to the radio/climate controls, then one below going to another control set and to an LED light. The vents may pop off, so take care… they’re easy to get back on. I was surprised at how simple it was, especially considering how I used to install stereos when young, and had to do much more to get the same units free.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
Sciamos
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 2.0

Ah, this may help...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...sav/1VnXat0su9
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
codeinflash
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48

Can you teach me which wire is reverse positive wire? 2016 X1

I have 2016 x1.
Can you teach me which wire is a reverse positive wire?
I attached a image

Last edited by codeinflash; 10-11-2019 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: image
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamos View Post
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for reading… I have searched this site (and others) and read through the service docs in hopes of finding an answer… but in failing to do so, thought I may ask the members herein.

I did not get the reversing camera… it just slipped my mind… when ordering my X1. My other BMW has it, and, although I have rear PDC, I would quite like to have it on this car as well.

I bought a ‘kit’ off eBay, and the gent was very nice, and even used Remote Desktop to code my car through my laptop using e-Sys. However, this did not work. He said that there was some change to the late 2017+ model year, and, although he had believed it would work with 2018s, the control box for this unit did not. I can now see this change in the eBay auctions: 2016-17 ‘kits’ are around £200, but the 2017+ ones are £350+. Bimmertech and the likes are even more.

So, my query:

I can buy a tailgate handle (if you’re reading this because you are also interested in a camera, please note that all of those ‘kits' I’ve seen for sale do not allow for the handle button on the boot lid to still work!), with a camera, all used/OEM, for just over £100.

Is there anything besides the camera? I mean, all the ‘kits’ have control boxes, wouldn’t this too?

Well, I came across the wiring diagram for the camera. The camera has eight connections (which are verified by the photos of those units I’ve seen for sale, not including those for the boot button), and these all go to existing systems and the head unit. There would appear to be no dedicated control box.

All other notations on the diagram have to do with PDC (right side), and I already have this.

I don’t personally see any reason I can’t just avoid the cost of a ‘kit,’ purchase an OEM camera, and wire it in to: 12V, ground, PINs 12, 13, and 25 on R3*1B (right side of boot - CAN L and CAN H are here), and PINs 21, 23, and 24 of the headunit (FBAS + and FBAS- are here). I worked extensively with the “kit” chap on the wiring, as his unit was wired incorrectly, and I had to fix this, so I became familiar with the locations of these. I do not, however, know what PINs 13 and 23 on this list are doing. Regardess, coding has been done.

Would anyone know if my logic here is sound? Or perhaps tempting? I may just try it to see, but I certainly wouldn’t wish to cause the systems any damage in doing so.

Thank you very much!
Sciamos

p.s. to get to the head unit is very easy. Using plastic tools for removing car body parts, you pry out the whole piece from the far passenger’s side (including the vent), to the steering wheel. It takes with it everything around the Headunit (including those two vents), and the climate controls. The Headunit is then held in with two Torx screws. There is an unused (in my case) wire on the left of the trim, one going to the hazard/braking control, one going to the radio/climate controls, then one below going to another control set and to an LED light. The vents may pop off, so take care… they’re easy to get back on. I was surprised at how simple it was, especially considering how I used to install stereos when young, and had to do much more to get the same units free.
I retrofitted a reversing camera to my late 2017 x1 however I used a control box kit.

I would be interested to know if you get yours working by simply wiring in an oem camera. My understanding is that you will not be able to do so because you will need to code it and because x1 have Entrynav/Entrynav2 HU and 3rd party fsc codes are not available (basically security on Entrynav ARM chips are better than on NBT HU so no one has hacked them). This will also be why E-sys remote coding did not work. The control box kits work because they basically intercept signal from HU to CID, this allows reverse signal to be detected and reversing camera image to be incorporated into display. You therefore get marriage of HU reversing sensor image and aftermarket camera. I am very pleased with mine. I researched option and was told trying to use BMW oem kits would not work because they are only available for NBT and NBTevo HU cars. Problem is that some vendors and coders do not realise the X1 has Entrynav (a problem compounded because some Russian, chimes and Japanese cars do have NBTevo HU’s.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but would advise checking before throwing good money after bad. Do let us know. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamos View Post
Hello,

I bought a 'kit' off eBay, and the gent was very nice, and even used Remote Desktop to code my car through my laptop using e-Sys. However, this did not work. He said that there was some change to the late 2017+ model year, and, although he had believed it would work with 2018s, the control box for this unit did not. I can now see this change in the eBay auctions: 2016-17 'kits' are around £200, but the 2017+ ones are £350+. Bimmertech and the likes are even more.

So, my query:

I can buy a tailgate handle (if you're reading this because you are also interested in a camera, please note that all of those 'kits' I've seen for sale do not allow for the handle button on the boot lid to still work!), with a camera, all used/OEM, for just over £100.

Is there anything besides the camera? I mean, all the 'kits' have control boxes, wouldn't this too?

Well, I came across the wiring diagram for the camera. The camera has eight connections (which are verified by the photos of those units I've seen for sale, not including those for the boot button), and these all go to existing systems and the head unit. There would appear to be no dedicated control box.

I don't personally see any reason I can't just avoid the cost of a 'kit,' purchase an OEM camera, and wire it in to: 12V, ground, PINs 12, 13, and 25 on R3*1B (right side of boot - CAN L and CAN H are here), and PINs 21, 23, and 24 of the headunit (FBAS + and FBAS- are here). I worked extensively with the "kit" chap on the wiring, as his unit was wired incorrectly, and I had to fix this, so I became familiar with the locations of these. I do not, however, know what PINs 13 and 23 on this list are doing. Regardess, coding has been done.

Would anyone know if my logic here is sound? Or perhaps tempting? I may just try it to see, but I certainly wouldn't wish to cause the systems any damage in doing so.

Thank you very much!
Sciamos

[SIZE="1"]p.s. to get to the head unit is very easy. Using plastic tools for removing car body parts, you pry out the whole piece from the far passenger's side (including the vent), to the steering wheel. It takes with it everything around the Headunit (including those two vents), and the climate controls. The Headunit is then held in with two Torx screws. There is an unused (in my case) wire on the left of the trim, one going to the hazard/braking control, one going to the radio/climate controls, then one below going to another control set and to an LED light. The vents may pop off, so take care… they're easy to get back on. I was surprised at how simple it was, especially considering how I used to install stereos when young, and had to do much more to get the same units free.[/SIZE]
I retrofitted a reversing camera to my late 2017 x1 however I used a control box kit.

I would be interested to know if you get yours working by simply wiring in an oem camera. My understanding is that you will not be able to do so because you will need to code it and because x1 have Entrynav/Entrynav2 HU and 3rd party fsc codes are not available (basically security on Entrynav ARM chips are better than on NBT HU so no one has hacked them). This will also be why E-sys remote coding did not work. The control box kits work because they basically intercept signal from HU to CID, this allows reverse signal to be detected and reversing camera image to be incorporated into display. You therefore get marriage of HU reversing sensor image and aftermarket camera. I am very pleased with mine. I researched option and was told trying to use BMW oem kits would not work because they are only available for NBT and NBTevo HU cars. Problem is that some vendors and coders do not realise the X1 has Entrynav (a problem compounded because some Russian, chimes and Japanese cars do have NBTevo HU's.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but would advise checking before throwing good money after bad. Do let us know. Good luck
The above links are not working. I've been lucky enough to be gifted a kit that was wrongly purchased and eager to get started on this project.
Appreciate 0