BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Another Premature Brake Wear Thread

10-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Another Premature Brake Wear Thread

So, I have 24,312 miles on the odo and got a notice that rear brake pads need to be changed. Upon visual inspection, it's confirmed. I consider it "premature", but it seems to be not an uncommon issue with the F48 X1.

Not looking to start another rant thread, but I am looking for some input from folks that have done a rear brake job themselves on the X1. I want to order pads and wear sensors from fcpeuro just because they're a company that stands behind their products. I wanted to try Akebono pads, but a search on fcpeuro's site today shows only two options: (1) BMW Mini Brake Pad Set - Textar 2533101, or (2) BMW Mini Brake Pad Set - Genuine BMW 34216860403. Anyone have any personal experience with either one of these options?

Also, I'm going to do the brake job myself. I've done a few full brake services on different cars, but this will be the first on a German model. For any shadetree mechanics that have been adventurous and tackled this, any advice/tips/hints or links to other threads/resources that were helpful?

Any tricks to removing the brake hardware?

Is a windback tool needed to compress the caliper piston? From newtis, it looks like the rear caliper piston cannot simply be pressed back in like a conventional one.

As always, thanks for any help from the community.

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 10-08-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

My mechanic’s advice is, DON’T DO IT! The emergency brake can’t be easily disengaged without software from BMW. I took mine to a few brake shop after rear brake wearing out around 22k miles and none of them can do it because their software is not new enough. R1 concepts sell the nice slotted rotor with ceramic pads, might want to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
My mechanic’s advice is, DON’T DO IT! The emergency brake can’t be easily disengaged without software from BMW. I took mine to a few brake shop after rear brake wearing out around 22k miles and none of them can do it because their software is not new enough. R1 concepts sell the nice slotted rotor with ceramic pads, might want to check them out.
Thanks for the heads up on R1 product. I'll take a look. As for the electronic ebrake, I found a service manual instruction and a few youtube videos on how to remove the actuator and wind back the piston without any damage. Curious if anyone has actually tried this method.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Well, I asked about this as well. Supposedly for older cars, this can be done. But newer cars in the past few years require software or you risk damaging your e brake. So I’d suggest you double check with a good mechanic
Appreciate 0