BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Constant BT disconnect on Base iDrive

09-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
mrcarey
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Constant BT disconnect on Base iDrive

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen references in some youtube reviews. My base iDrive in my X2 constantly disconnects itself. Sometimes it's as simple as a disconnect/reconnect. Sometimes it requires I restart my iPhone XR. Sometimes I have to pull over and restart the car and phone. Sometimes it just locks up. Once it disconnected and tried to connect with my wife's phone which was in her car (Mazda CX-9) in front of me at a stoplight. Crazy.

My last 2015 F30 had a connection issue as well but that was through the USB, not BT. The dealer blamed the iPhone and said it wasn't covered under warranty.

Honestly, this is unacceptable. This is a BMW for god's sake. You'd figure they'd get this right by now. It's distracting and causes driver distraction trying to fix the issue.

Frustrated and seriously not surprised there's not a class action on this.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Yes I have been experiencing it on my 2019 build X2. I was using an Iphone 5SE, and almost every phone call would switch from BT to the phone speaker within about 10 or 20 seconds.

I don't know if mine has been resolved as I just use the Apple Carplay option instead which solved that issue.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
mrcarey
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I found this article. Seems to help. I removed the BMW Connected app from my iPhone. Much more stable... so far. Ironic.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250273045

I have the base unit, so no chance for CarPlay which is dumb, dumb, dumb BMW... you'd have $300 by now. Anyway, I was going to upgrade to the XM radio and found that the Sirius XM App runs great through BT and my iPhone via my wife's XM account. Saved me $450 installing the XM license @ my BMW dealer. So all in all, BMW has lost $750 from me for bad marketing decisions. They seriously need to rethink their tech package line up.
Appreciate 0