E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2006 320d rough idle

04-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
fadeel
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

2006 320d rough idle

Hey all i'm new to the whole BMW ownership and its a pleasant move from various Audis and all sorts! Loving the Dakota leather

I have a few issues which I want to address before treating her to some upgrades!

My 2006 320d SE on idle sounds quite rough and "diesely" however when driving its smooth as you like. Being a common rail I expected it to idle a lot smoother than my previous VAG PD's. I can also feel a slight vibration on idle but the needle shows no hunting.

Ideally if anyone who has a 320d in the NW Kent area I would very much like to see how they idle

I have also noted when you slightly dip the clutch I get a slight clatter which I have put down to the DMF

Would a slight rumble/rock when switching off be related to the DMF too?

Finally the last issue I have is a squeaky fan which is driving me nuts, I cannot actually use the climate unless I am listening to music at full blast

Sorry for many question but your advise and comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers in advance

Fad
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Our 320d is as rough as shit at idle......i thought it was the norm on the 4 bangers....

No thoughts on the DMF im afraid, sorry

But, our heater fan was squeaking like a wanker for ages so when i had the car in bits replacing the turbo, i was able to spray WD40 on the blower assembly (which can be seen once you have the pollen filter out).........the bearing was clearly coated in rust and hey presto, while the car spelt like a garage for a while inside, the squeaking went and never returned.

Incidentally, what mileage are you on? I believe injectors that are a bit ropey can cause the engine can sound more diesely at idle as they lose some of the ability to pre-inject diesel and quieten the inherent diesel knock.

Ours has done it since we bought it, its no biggie tbh. It will NEVER be as smooth as the 6cyl doesels by design.

J
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
fadeel
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Cheers for the reply, Yeah I must say I am a little disapointed as my mates Astra 1.9 CDTi is much smoother and idles really quietly! I do feel it should be quieter so may pop down to a dealer and have a little sit in a couple to see what a fresh(ish) one is like.

I have however noted that if you apply a little throttle the iddle quiets down almost like something is vibrating in the engine bay, had a little prod around but no luck yet.

Mines currently just done 70k miles so I would not be pleased if it has an injector problem!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeel View Post
Cheers for the reply, Yeah I must say I am a little disapointed as my mates Astra 1.9 CDTi is much smoother and idles really quietly! I do feel it should be quieter so may pop down to a dealer and have a little sit in a couple to see what a fresh(ish) one is like.

I have however noted that if you apply a little throttle the iddle quiets down almost like something is vibrating in the engine bay, had a little prod around but no luck yet.

Mines currently just done 70k miles so I would not be pleased if it has an injector problem!!
Same here bud.....lift the idle by a few hundred rpm and it quietens.....

I had it on a proper BM diagnostic and it came up with injector errors.

J
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

My 320d does this also, dont get the knock when I dip the clutch but the idel is lumpy.
      01-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Zinenetix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
Same here bud.....lift the idle by a few hundred rpm and it quietens.....

I had it on a proper BM diagnostic and it came up with injector errors.

J
Hi Guys

Thanks for the information on my exact problem. Could you tell me how you adjusted the idle?
Appreciate 0