BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2017 BMW X1 Cold Air Intake

10-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Joeyb200
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

2017 BMW X1 Cold Air Intake

I am considering getting a Cold Air Intake for my car and was wondering what's the HP/Torque and MPG gain you get from it and if there are any downsides to doing this upgrade. At the moment I have a K&N air filter on my car. So any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Get the BMS intake and hire a programmer that uses software, an ODBII connector cable and a laptop to programm all sorts of cool features to your car. They can generally modify you engine to take advantage of the CAI. Or you can add a JB4+ chip with bluetooth with maps that work from your smartphone. I prefer just slightly modifying the engine and adding about 50 - 60 HP and TQ which is reasonable easy on the engine and components. You'll get close to 300 HP and TQ which is very decent and should get you in the low 5's or high 4s with AWD. It's noticeable gains and adds a nice growl to it too. Do a search here and you'll find some interesting information. Some examples of software mods include: Closing all windows,locks, sunroof, sunroof shade and fold mirrors from holding your finger on the door handle. Open everything by holding down the unlock button on the key fob. Getting rid of the start stop function except for ECO Mode. Information on the display in the dash, LED lights (replacing fogs with LEDs and some other bulbs in the rear to eliminate the strobing when you start the X1. Expect to pay about $300 for the BMS intake and about the same for programming or BMS or JB4+ chip.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb200 View Post
I am considering getting a Cold Air Intake for my car and was wondering what's the HP/Torque and MPG gain you get from it and if there are any downsides to doing this upgrade. At the moment I have a K&N air filter on my car. So any help would be appreciated.
As mentioned, a Tune will do wonders for your X1. I have a Dinan Airbox with an Evolve Stage 2 Tune due to me also having Catless DP and TB/charge pipes. Getting an intake only will not get you much power, although you will notice more induction noise. It's the Tune that will make the difference.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I've tried both K&N panel filter and eventually now K&N pod filter. I found that only Dinansport's top "Race" setting is choking for air from the K&N panel. If you are on stock tune, I'd suggest getting a piggy back controller first such as the Dinansport one or JB4(better but much harder to remove before dealership) that increase the boost pressure. Only then will you see a noticeable benefit from the air intake upgrade.

Personally, I'm wary of going tune until the warranty is expired. Just so much harder to trouble shoot anything in dealership. Also I've heard of mini with the same engine and evolve stage 2 with crack pistons soon after. Perhaps this is why BMW decided to lower the compression ratio and reinforce engine components for M35i. The b46/48's high 11:1 compression ratio requires some additional mods to make it safer for tune I believe such as watermethanol injection.

Last edited by lonegun; 10-31-2020 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

The F48 has a 10.2:1 compression ratio, the same as the F series JCW. The new GP JCW has a 9.5:1 ratio.
      11-08-2020, 04:07 AM   #6
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
The F48 has a 10.2:1 compression ratio, the same as the F series JCW. The new GP JCW has a 9.5:1 ratio.
Yes the higher powered X1 25i or 28i seems to have the 10.2 compression ratio instead of the 11:1 found in the lowered power x1. Thank you for the correction.
Appreciate 0