BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > MY 2018 deposit

06-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

MY 2018 deposit

Anyone know when dealers will begin accepting deposits for MY 2018 M2's?

I don't want to commit to MSRP when putting down a deposit if I can avoid it. There's too much uncertainty on how many 2018's will be produced and what the supply/demand will be at that point. At the same time I don’t want to wait too long and not be able to get an allocation if supply remains low. If you have any advice on how to negotiate a PO this far out please chime in. I've never put $$$ down on a car without knowing the full upfront cost/options, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thinking around this...
As hard as I tried and with multiple deposits at MSRP I couldn't find a MY 2016. I considered putting in an order for MY 2017, but the soonest I'd get the car would be fall and not long before winter so I decided I'd wait until next year. Being that winter doesn't really end until April around here I decided why should I get a MY 2017 when if I wait a few more months I can get into a 2018; hopefully it will get the LCI treatment and if lucky there will be more options/colors. Notice I said "if", not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Today, yesterday and about 4 months ago.

Dealer will take a deposit.m
Expect a mild price rise by the time it's 2018 MY
      06-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I'm on the exact same boat as you, OP. In Chicago also. Afraid to commit at MSRP. FWIW, I talked to my CA back in April during my one year maintenance. I told him I plan on waiting till summer next year for MY2018 and he told me "Production should settle by then. No need to work on things now." I hope he's right, but something is telling me otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
I'm on the exact same boat as you, OP. In Chicago also. Afraid to commit at MSRP. FWIW, I talked to my CA back in April during my one year maintenance. I told him I plan on waiting till summer next year for MY2018 and he told me "Production should settle by then. No need to work on things now." I hope he's right, but something is telling me otherwise...
Which dealership is your CA at if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
So is this car going to sell at or above MSRP for the entire production cycle? I'm interested in a 2018, but would like to wait until I am able to secure a similar deal as my F80.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

My guess for USA only: maintaining Q3 '16 production numbers, there will be about 2000/yr produced. This would provide most dealerships with at least 2-4 cars/yr. On average, larger metro area dealers (> 5m ppl) would have 6-8/yr. The dealers with highest M sales should see 1 allocation per month and sometimes 2.

It appears that the average dealer's waiting list is about a year long, but most of the people on these lists were added 3-8mo before production really started. It's important to consider this backlog greatly inflated perception of demand and added to frustration, as positive reviews flooded media, while initial units only slowly trickled in.

I think for supply to catch up with demand, or a point where less than MSRP would be considered, that Q3 production rate would only need to triple. I'm not sure BMW would more than double the latest prod rate for this car, as they have no reason to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
My guess for USA only: maintaining Q3 '16 production numbers, there will be about 2000/yr produced. This would provide most dealerships with at least 2-4 cars/yr. On average, larger metro area dealers (> 5m ppl) would have 6-8/yr. The dealers with highest M sales should see 1 allocation per month and sometimes 2.

It appears that the average dealer's waiting list is about a year long, but most of the people on these lists were added 3-8mo before production really started. It's important to consider this backlog greatly inflated perception of demand and added to frustration, as positive reviews flooded media, while initial units only slowly trickled in.

I think for supply to catch up with demand, or a point where less than MSRP would be considered, that Q3 production rate would only need to triple. I'm not sure BMW would more than double the latest prod rate for this car, as they have no reason to do so.
There are a couple of dealers still out there with allocations in 111 status (to be built this quarter) that haven't been reserved yet.

Just need to be diligent and go for the smaller populated areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Is there any sort of confirmation how many 2017's are being produced? I was hoping they would increase production by now and going forward. From what I'm reading we either a) don't know yet OR b) about the same production numbers as 2016.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Is there any sort of confirmation how many 2017's are being produced? I was hoping they would increase production by now and going forward. From what I'm reading we either a) don't know yet OR b) about the same production numbers as 2016.
BMW had set a target of 1500 units per year, so probably somewhere around there.

I think for this year they may fall a bit short due to slow delivery of the MY16's.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
BMW had set a target of 1500 units per year, so probably somewhere around there.

I think for this year they may fall a bit short due to slow delivery of the MY16's.
I'd be absolutely stunned if that is the case. I thought for sure they would start ramping up production for MY17 and on. Simply can't imagine year long waiting lists for the entire lifecycle of this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I'd be absolutely stunned if that is the case. I thought for sure they would start ramping up production for MY17 and on. Simply can't imagine year long waiting lists for the entire lifecycle of this car.
Unfortunately there is only so many they can do, plus I'm sure they will keep supply tight as well to keep the car's "rare" image up.

I think the year long waitlist will go away once the backlog of customers is cleared up.

Last edited by gmzanatta; 06-23-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Unfortunately there is only so many they can do, plus I'm sure they will keep supply tight as well to keep the car's "rare" image up.

I think the year long waitlist will go away once the backlog of customers is cleared up.
There only seems to be year long waits for people who call dealers in major cities and then sit back and talk about year long waits. Put in some time, look around and you can get them sooner. There are plenty stories of success on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:

It's not a question of how many they can produce, it's a question of how many they want to produce. Obviously BMW has made a financial and marketing decision to produce such a high quantity of other models at the plant that it limits how many M2s can be produced. Not a decision we like but simply have to accept. I agree this has the effect of building up the M2 image.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

We haven't even see 2017's yet...

We have two that have been produced, but not shipped. Those clients will be getting their new car soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:50 AM   #15
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't see M2's going over MSRP past the end of the year. I have been offered 2 cars, one built that I passed on and one that is status 111 both were at MSRP and there are still cars out there for the sticker so I don't understand the concerns. I also don't think that supply will be nearly as tight in 6 months. The most recent allocation that was released appears to be pretty significant in numbers I am sure that will be the trend.
Appreciate 1