BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2016 X1 Sport Seat Retrofit

03-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Nsehati1
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

2016 X1 Sport Seat Retrofit?

I have a 2016 X1 and I enjoy almost everything about it except the (pretty terrible) standard seats. I have been doing some research and looking into doing a sport seat retrofit.

I've found a pair of 2018 sport seats and reached out to codemybimmer.ca who said that the errors from retrofit could be coded out.

Just wondering, has anyone done this conversion before? And if so, any tips that could help?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:21 AM   #2
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

[QUOTE=Nsehati1;27289649]I have a 2016 X1 and I enjoy almost everything about it except the (pretty terrible) standard seats. I have been doing some research and looking into doing a sport seat retrofit.

I've found a pair of 2018 sport seats and reached out to codemybimmer.ca who said that the errors from retrofit could be coded out.

Just wondering, has anyone done this conversion before? And if so, any tips that could help

have the retrofit done without coding and error
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
Nsehati1
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3

[QUOTE=victorngcm;27291831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsehati1 View Post
I have a 2016 X1 and I enjoy almost everything about it except the (pretty terrible) standard seats. I have been doing some research and looking into doing a sport seat retrofit.

Just wondering, has anyone done this conversion before? And if so, any tips that could help

That's pretty awesome to hear! Did you carry over your original seatbelt to the new seat? And did you run into any problems? Or was it just a swap-and-go?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #4
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

[QUOTE=victorngcm;27291831]
Quote:

What do the errors say?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:40 AM   #5
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=Nsehati1;27292184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorngcm View Post
Quote:

That's pretty awesome to hear! Did you carry over your original seatbelt to the new seat? And did you run into any problems? Or was it just a swap-and-go?
the seat belt is connected to b pillar and the seat ...so that's the orginal seat belt.
you just need to unclip the metal chip of the lower part of the seat belt and put it back to the new seat.

I ran into many trouble indeed.
my wiring harness didnt give power to the air pump of lumber support so I have to bridge a wire to deliever power to air pump.

I spot painted the lower part of the metal frame to prevent rusting.

the old under-seat storage box cannot be fitted on the sport seat again because there were no supporting frame for the box on the sport seat

to avoid error, I took the original seat memory module and installed it on the sport seat, which took me longest time because the screw were so tight. however I suspected that this is the reason why I don't have to code my car

and please change the seat with your battery disconnected. I got a air bag warning when I disconnect the orginal seat for first time.
I didn't disconnect battery but I waited about 5mins for the car to cut it's power so no error shown up. and during the peroid, I didt close the door throughout the whole changing process
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      03-03-2021, 01:41 AM   #6
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=wcs2229;27295726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorngcm View Post
Quote:

What do the errors say?
no error
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
MaXimOoOm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi victorngcm I’m currently trying to figure out how to upgrade my seats like you’ve done. Could you give me some hints ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

If the seats you're installing have the same functionality is the originals and you swap the modules, chances are good that you will not have any errors. If the functionality is different (memory/lumbar/heat etc), then it's more likely you'll have to do some coding. Or, if you don't swap the modules, you'll have to code them.

If you're not handy w/ESYS, you can contact codemybimmer.ca and he can do the coding remotely. It was not that expensive (contact him for a quote) and took less than 20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimOoOm View Post
Hi victorngcm I'm currently trying to figure out how to upgrade my seats like you've done. Could you give me some hints ?
you need torx 50screw driver.
check the air pump function. if no power to the pump , you have to do some rewiring.
you have to cut power of the battery to avoid airbag code. I didn't cut it but I waited for 15 mins before I unplug the connector of the chair. just remember not to close the door or open another door is ok. however I strongly recommend to disconnect battery before you do it.
to check the wiring, you just need to connect a 12volt supply to your new chair and try the pump. if they didn't work, you add a wire to the pump wire
BMW negative wire usually brown in colour
my original chair has a memory module at the bottom and I use that. I guess that's the reason why I didn't get error.
to take down and install the memory module to the new chair, I did take down a screw on the chair frame but sorry I forgot which one.
good luck
Appreciate 0