BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Central locking system switch on passenger door

05-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Central locking system switch on passenger door

Hello!

Maybe a lot of you observed that our X1 has a central locking system switch only on the driver door, on the passenger door having just an empty and ugly cover.
This is looking very cheap and I like to make my car looking better, like a proper BMW.

I'd like to ask if somebody know the part code number for the passenger switch, for a left side steering wheel car.
I mention that, on the passenger door, I found a free hanging cable, which I believe is exactly for this switch.
Maybe somebody can help with am electric scheme for the central locking system.

Also, I saw some X1 pictures of left hand drive cars with this switch on the passenger door.

Any comment / idea on this subject will be welcome.

Regards,
Stefan.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

According to the parts catalog, the right-side switch part number is 61319320642, shown here, taken from my car's VIN which is right-hand drive (in the UK)

The left-side part number is 61319320641.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Hello!

Maybe a lot of you observed that our X1 has a central locking system switch only on the driver door, on the passenger door having just an empty and ugly cover.
This is looking very cheap and I like to make my car looking better, like a proper BMW.

I'd like to ask if somebody know the part code number for the passenger switch, for a left side steering wheel car.
I mention that, on the passenger door, I found a free hanging cable, which I believe is exactly for this switch.
Maybe somebody can help with am electric scheme for the central locking system.

Also, I saw some X1 pictures of left hand drive cars with this switch on the passenger door.

Any comment / idea on this subject will be welcome.

Regards,
Stefan.
Hi
Yes you are correct, the wiring for switch is there on passenger side of my car also. The blanking plate pushes out (actually will push in!) and should be simple fit for new switch. For your car (left hand drive) I think you will need right hand drive switch.
BMW f48 central locking switch right - part number 61319320642
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_4431
For U.K. and right hand drive cars the part to fit blank on left hand side is;
BMW f48 central locking switch left - part number 61319320641
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_4431

Sorry CliveL I was editing reply and attaching links so didn’t see you had already posted answer before I had finished. Unfortunately haven’t worked out if I can delete a post.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-08-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

No worries I've always thought it was an odd choice to put just the one switch in the car, and it's very awkward for a passenger to reach across to unlock the doors if necessary. I preferred the central switch on my older 5 series (E61 and E39). I assume you have to remove the door card to fit a second switch? They look quite pricey too, a quick search suggests around 70 Euros/85 US Dollars. Not sure what a UK dealer would charge...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Thank goodness I have locking switches on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for your answers.

I thought also that I should look for the right side drive door switch.
Around 70 €, for a new part, it is pricey and I don't want to spend so much.
Searching on ebay uk didn't reveal any used part.
Can you suggest any part dealer in uk (or somewhere else) where I can search for a second hand switch?

I wonder why some cars (like GenXer's one) has locking switches on both sides. Maybe it is made for selling to a specific country? Or it's an option when ordering a new car?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:42 AM   #7
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Maybe it is a requirement for the NA market. I don't see what all the fuss is about, every car has more controls on the driver side, such as window switches. Why would you need a locking switch on the passenger side ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
No worries I've always thought it was an odd choice to put just the one switch in the car, and it's very awkward for a passenger to reach across to unlock the doors if necessary. I preferred the central switch on my older 5 series (E61 and E39). I assume you have to remove the door card to fit a second switch? They look quite pricey too, a quick search suggests around 70 Euros/85 US Dollars. Not sure what a UK dealer would charge...
The small blanking plate can be removed easily although it will also want to fall inside the door card. The wire should be visible once plate is removed but I would plan on having to remove door card although it is not a difficult job. Yes, BMW parts prices are crazy and not sure if this item would be easily available through usual used part route (basically eBay).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Maybe it is a requirement for the NA market. I don't see what all the fuss is about, every car has more controls on the driver side, such as window switches. Why would you need a locking switch on the passenger side ?
Because it's practical, if the passenger want to lock / unlock the doors.
And because it is looking very cheap to have just a cover instead of a button.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
The small blanking plate can be removed easily although it will also want to fall inside the door card. The wire should be visible once plate is removed but I would plan on having to remove door card although it is not a difficult job. Yes, BMW parts prices are crazy and not sure if this item would be easily available through usual used part route (basically eBay).
If I'll find the button, for sure I'll install it by myself, by removing the door card.
It's not so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your answers.

I thought also that I should look for the right side drive door switch.
Around 70 €, for a new part, it is pricey and I don't want to spend so much.
Searching on ebay uk didn't reveal any used part.
Can you suggest any part dealer in uk (or somewhere else) where I can search for a second hand switch?

I wonder why some cars (like GenXer's one) has locking switches on both sides. Maybe it is made for selling to a specific country? Or it's an option when ordering a new car?
US cars often have different locking arrangements, for example rear doors not unlocking when ignition turned off or requirement for double pull on handles. I suppose in US, if children are in rear then front passenger (mom or dad) might want to open the doors for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
US cars often have different locking arrangements, for example rear doors not unlocking when ignition turned off or requirement for double pull on handles. I suppose in US, if children are in rear then front passenger (mom or dad) might want to open the doors for them.
Very interesting, didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Today I received the central locking switch for the right door.
I'll post the result here after install.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Thank goodness I have locking switches on both sides.
GenXer, can you tell me for what country your car is made for?

Getting back to the subject, I installed earlier the central locking button on the right door (my car is LHD), but it is not working. Don't ask if I inserted the wires, because I did

Maybe it is a coding that can be made/ modified, in order to make functional both door buttons.

Does anyone know?

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Getting back to the subject, I installed earlier the central locking button on the right door (my car is LHD), but it is not working. Don't ask if I inserted the wires, because I did

Maybe it is a coding that can be made/ modified, in order to make functional both door buttons.

Does anyone know?

Regards!
I live in the U.S. It's just a base X1 xdrive28i

It comes with most everything I wanted including panoramic roof, heated seats/steering, back windows dark tint, red/white mood lighting. The only thing it doesn't have is navigation or Carplay

I believe it's assembled in Germany as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #16
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I live in the U.S. It's just a base X1 xdrive28i

It comes with most everything I wanted including panoramic roof, heated seats/steering, back windows dark tint, red/white mood lighting. The only thing it doesn't have is navigation or Carplay

I believe it's assembled in Germany as well.
Thank you GenXer. You have a well equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Funny you should say that because there are $10,000 worth of options that are available for this car and I didn't get a single one of them.
Appreciate 1
jkont22.50
      05-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:

Does anyone know?

Regards!
Sorry New switch did not work, I would wait for a couple of days, it is possible the system needs to recognise it is there. If it still does not work then I think you are correct, it will need to be activated via coding. Unfortunately I do not know coding details, the best I could find was in BDC Ecu;
- ComAdapterPdu_0EC_Status_Zentralverriegelung_Tuer_ Schloss
It has a default hex value of 01 so maybe changing it to 02 would activate two door switches. Please note this is a guess and I have not accessed Ecu in my car to check settings. Good luck
Appreciate 2
StefanJ68.00
mrpingu167.00
      05-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #19
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry New switch did not work, I would wait for a couple of days, it is possible the system needs to recognise it is there. If it still does not work then I think you are correct, it will need to be activated via coding. Unfortunately I do not know coding details, the best I could find was in BDC Ecu;
It has a default hex value of 01 so maybe changing it to 02 would activate two door switches. Please note this is a guess and I have not accessed Ecu in my car to check settings. Good luck
Thank you MJE60.
In my opinion it should recognise the new switch after a complete shut off and restart of the car, but I'll try your suggestion to wait a few days more.

As regarding the coding, I have only Beemer Code, I'll try to find this parameter.

I'll keep posting here the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #20
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't found the mentioned entry with Bimmercode...

Any other idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
London650
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48,E63,F33

I know this is a really old thread, but did anyone manage to do this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:37 PM   #22
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately I didn't find a way to do it.
I still have the switch mounted on the door, but it's not working. At least it is illuminated in the night and the door it is looking nicer with it.

I'd like to find the solution to make it work...
Appreciate 1
kevvxm4.00