F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to code "Office" into 2016 340i without enhanced BT?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

How to code "Office" into 2016 340i without enhanced BT?

I just ordered the cable required to do coding on my new 2016 340i. The main purpose will be to code out the stupid warning screen at start up and have the doors unlock at engine off. (I'm sick of explaining to passengers they have to pull twice) However I'd also like to get the "Office" option on my nav system so I can see texts when they come in. A lot of the info I'm finding on these forums seems to mixed based on the year of the car. I don't want to screw it up so I'm wondering if anyone could explain exactly what needs to be done on a 2016 340i to enable that feature?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Code the following to werte = 01 within the HU_NBT2 (Evo) ... same coding is true for the NBT unit:

SINGLE_OR_MULTILINK
CONTACT_BOOK_PICTURES
BLUETOOTH_2ND_HFP
MACRO_PIM
PIM_SPEECH_TO_TEXT
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_VOICE_EMAIL
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_EMAIL
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_SMS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_AUDIO_NOTE
API_USB_VIDEO ... werte = 03

These lines above are everything that the 6NS enhanced bluetooth adds
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Code the following to werte = 01 within the HU_NBT2 (Evo) ... same coding is true for the NBT unit:

Why not actually VO code rather than FDL code?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
why ... because the dealership can detect VO changes .... FDL wont throw errors with ISTA
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
why ... because the dealership can detect VO changes .... FDL wont throw errors with ISTA
You do not have to write FA changes to VCM in order to VO Code. As long as FA changes are valid for your production date, they will not cause ISTA-P errors.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
You do not have to write FA changes to VCM in order to VO Code. As long as FA changes are valid for your production date, they will not cause ISTA-P errors.
New to coding and looking to do the same thing but you guys lost me. What does this mean?
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was a little lost too. But found this post on another forum that explains VO and FDL...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=837221
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I was a little lost too. But found this post on another forum that explains VO and FDL...

Got it! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:

That is if you wrote FA changes to VCM. If you Edit FA > Calculate FP (to verify changes) > Load FA (rather than Read FA) >Activate FA > Proceed as before, you will not have to revert changes before taking car to dealer to avoid potential flash programming update errors.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is if you wrote FA changes to VCM. If you Edit FA > Calculate FP (to verify changes) > Load FA (rather than Read FA) >Activate FA > Proceed as before, you will not have to revert changes before taking car to dealer to avoid potential flash programming update errors.
You lost me again.

I just got the cable in the mail. Wont have time to play with it until probably Sunday though.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You lost me again.

I just got the cable in the mail. Wont have time to play with it until probably Sunday though.
Basically, there are two types of coding, VO and FDL. VO, defined as Vehicle Order, uses an activated FA (see below) to code all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings. It is a way to add or remove factory options without needing to manually change one or hundreds of parameters. Comparatively, FDL, defined as Function Data Line or lists, codes individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO coding.

Both processes may begin by selecting "Read" FA, which includes things like VINlong, chassis, upholstery type and color, exterior color, and production date as well as a list of standard and other options. An unmodified FA read from the Vehicle Configuration Management (VCM) would essentially contain the identical information of a decoded VIN.

If you read "E-sys - Getting Started Supplement - Part 3" AKA "How to change FA in F-series car," Steps 8-10 (Pg 8-9) outline how to write modified FA to vehicle. If followed, then next time you connect and "Read" FA, it will show your changes. Alternatively, you could "Load" a FA, modified using E-sys FA-Editor (Step 6, Page 6). This way, you can make VO changes without writing to VCM. There are various reasons to consider both ways, but see ShawnSheridan's rules on retrofits.

I also can send you a collection of getting started documents if you like. Material would be very similar to the above linked, but include an overall summary sheet to serve as sort of a study guide as well as cheat sheets and potentially other helpful documents.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That would be great.

Question... Does doing any of this stuff void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:22 AM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That would be great.

Question... Does doing any of this stuff void the warranty?
PM Sent.

Re warranty: it has been asked many times and you will get mixed opinions, but the general dogma is no and there are ways to minimize risk. There are certain hardware modifications, which will and will not void warranty, but I will just share my thoughts on coding. First, it is a bit of a misnomer. For F-series and others that use E-sys, unlike the hacking and manipulating lines of codes portrayed in movies, it is little more than changing predetermined drop-down menus. Further, many of these changes are to enable factory options available in other countries but restricted in another due to outdated regulations like adding ability to close trunk with FOB or enable options now standard on later productions like phone & entertainment details in HUD. And, though you can still do real damage if you do not know what you are doing, there are checks in place, including TokenMaster's token solution, which maintains the security of files. Therefore, you will be fine if you stick to good cheat sheets, realising that they are ECU specific so not to change random parameters meant for different hardware like using Xenon values for coding welcome lights in LED headlamps resulting in premature burnout or messing with things like drivetrain.

Moreover, the following also help minimize risk. Uncheck Update VCM and MSM in E-sys options so that you do not write coding logs to vehicle, which can be read at service and sent back to Munich. Also, it is up to you whether you revert changes back to factory before taking to service so that only thing that can be seen is last coded date. Some will completely code back to factory, while others may change only certain values like reverting folding mirrors or if they disabled auditory seat belt warnings. Service centers are not going to spend time looking for changes unless you give them one and flash programming will wipe coding anyways on any module with newer available software at the time of service for a known issue. Personally, I do not know anyone or read about anyone who has gotten in trouble for coding and I have turned in vehicles for regular service and at the end of a lease with and without coding in place without any issue. Lastly, I know individuals, including someone whose CPO I just re-coded last week because he realized and wanted back lost features, wiped at his first scheduled service due to firmware updating, the previous owner must have coded.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:24 AM   #14
Maxblast
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 330e (Hybrid) M sport

What would be the procedure to add Office, using the VO coding?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxblast View Post
What would be the procedure to add Office, using the VO coding?
It depends on what you currently have in FA; but yes, VO coding is what is used to add office and Extended Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
this may be a dumb question but what does enhanced Bluetooth get you? would it cause problems if I code it in my NBT evo that has connected drive active?
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #17
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:

SINGLE_OR_MULTILINK
CONTACT_BOOK_PICTURES
BLUETOOTH_2ND_HFP
MACRO_PIM
PIM_SPEECH_TO_TEXT
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_VOICE_EMAIL
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_EMAIL
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_SMS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_AUDIO_NOTE
API_USB_VIDEO ... werte = 03

Quote:
If I already have FDL coding done on HU_NBT will simply VO coding 6NH to 6NS get rid of all the previous coding that I had previously done?

If it will, and I prefer not to have to redo the previous coding, would it not be better to just make FDL changes listed in CaboM4's post above and not mess with VO/FA coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #18
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
If I already have FDL coding done on HU_NBT will simply VO coding 6NH to 6NS get rid of all the previous coding that I had previously done?

If it will, and I prefer not to have to redo the previous coding, would it not be better to just make FDL changes listed in CaboM4's post above and not mess with VO/FA coding?
When it comes to factory options, I always VO code. But, it is up to you to decide how you wish to proceed.

Yes, VO coding will set coded ECU's to factory values, overwriting any FDL coding previously done.
Appreciate 2