BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

11-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #177
X5-50i-RobM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Thumbs up Front license plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thanks! I love BMW's and I love what I do......even though I'm crazy for doing it.

I think the most common excuse usually begins with, "I didn't know.....", even though I know that the motorist knew that they were speeding, didn't have license plates, etc. With rare exception, we all know when we're breaking the law. I approach enforcement from the mindset that I try to avoid being hypocritical. I don't run a front plate on my car, for example, so I'm not going to jam somebody up over the lack of a front plate if that's the only infraction that I notice. I will, however, write tint citations (...or use it as RS to pull somebody over and hopefully find a way into that car). I don't have tint on any car though. The reason why tint matters [to me] is because it's a professional/occupational hazard, especially in low light conditions. Somebody could be pointing a gun at me and I wouldn't have the slightest clue, so I approach EVERY tinted car prepared for shit to hit the fan.
Been wondering about the front plate, don't have a bracket on my 2012 X5 50i, didn't need it in NC where I bought the car but it's required where I live now in CT. Don't want one either. When I bought my used Vette last year I specifically asked the dealer to remove and I would never put a front plate on it, it's disgusting, been waiting to see if a CT state or local officer will write me up for it. Just can't stand the way they look and on the Vette it would block a lot of air flow on my supercharged/intercooled Callaway, not going to happen. Hope the police understand similarly.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #178
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-50i-RobM View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I love BMW's and I love what I do......even though I'm crazy for doing it.

I think the most common excuse usually begins with, "I didn't know.....", even though I know that the motorist knew that they were speeding, didn't have license plates, etc. With rare exception, we all know when we're breaking the law. I approach enforcement from the mindset that I try to avoid being hypocritical. I don't run a front plate on my car, for example, so I'm not going to jam somebody up over the lack of a front plate if that's the only infraction that I notice. I will, however, write tint citations (...or use it as RS to pull somebody over and hopefully find a way into that car). I don't have tint on any car though. The reason why tint matters [to me] is because it's a professional/occupational hazard, especially in low light conditions. Somebody could be pointing a gun at me and I wouldn't have the slightest clue, so I approach EVERY tinted car prepared for shit to hit the fan.
Been wondering about the front plate, don't have a bracket on my 2012 X5 50i, didn't need it in NC where I bought the car but it's required where I live now in CT. Don't want one either. When I bought my used Vette last year I specifically asked the dealer to remove and I would never put a front plate on it, it's disgusting, been waiting to see if a CT state or local officer will write me up for it. Just can't stand the way they look and on the Vette it would block a lot of air flow on my supercharged/intercooled Callaway, not going to happen. Hope the police understand similarly.
A front plate on a Callaway is as much of a travesty as a front plate on a GT2/GT3, so I get it. If you get cited, pay to play. For the X5, just buy the offset tow hook plate mount.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #179
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I would think that a diabetic would be able to present insulin needles, a diabetic pump, etc. should I make contact with them.
Most times while driving, the best I could do is my Medic-Alert bracelet. But having been thru it, I can understand how you might think I was under the influence.

There are time when you might ask something simple like "What's your name, sir?" and my response would be along the lines of "And then the split oxygen atoms combine with the carbon and form a dangerous chupacabra-fighting warrior princess" and at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #180
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
I would think that a diabetic would be able to present insulin needles, a diabetic pump, etc. should I make contact with them.
Most times while driving, the best I could do is my Medic-Alert bracelet. But having been thru it, I can understand how you might think I was under the influence.

There are time when you might ask something simple like "What's your name, sir?" and my response would be along the lines of "And then the split oxygen atoms combine with the carbon and form a dangerous chupacabra-fighting warrior princess" and at the same time.

I would love to see that chupacabra!

In all seriousness....

....a PAS breathalyzer would rule out intoxication, so I really wouldn't be too worried about getting jammed up over some sort of diabetic circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #181
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

What is more dangerous, all of traffic flow going 10 mph over the speed limit on the interstate? Or cops posted up in the median causing everyone to slam on their brakes?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #182
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebetrau88 View Post
What is more dangerous, all of traffic flow going 10 mph over the speed limit on the interstate? Or cops posted up in the median causing everyone to slam on their brakes?
"Everybody slamming on the brakes" is hyperbole, no?!?! People slow down, which is exactly the intention behind police visibility.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #183
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Quote:
"Everybody slamming on the brakes" is hyperbole, no?!?! People slow down, which is exactly what police visibility is designed to do.
Unfortunately, more often then not(at least that I've seen) the people see the cop and then slam on their brakes causing a chain reaction.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #184
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebetrau88 View Post
Quote:
"Everybody slamming on the brakes" is hyperbole, no?!?! People slow down, which is exactly what police visibility is designed to do.
Unfortunately, more often then not(at least that I've seen) the people see the cop and then slam on their brakes causing a chain reaction.
Well that behavior falls on the individual driver(s). A seasoned driver would/should just roll off the accelerator and maybe lightly tap/depress the brakes. In most cases, by the time you see us, we've already seen you, so slamming on the brakes is unnecessary.
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #185
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that behavior falls on the individual driver(s). A seasoned driver would/should just roll off the accelerator and maybe lightly tap/depress the brakes. In most cases, by the time you see us, we've already seen you, so slamming on the brakes is unnecessary.
I was coming to the top of a rise near Temecula. I saw all the brake lights as people crested the hill, noses diving forward, so I lifted.

Guess who got pulled over and cited???
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #186
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
What boils my blood is that everyone is afraid to pass a cruiser/squad car on highways/local roads. If the speed limit is 45 MPH I feel comfortable driving 53, for example. If the officer is doing 48, everyone else is doing 45.

I’m sure you notice a line of cars behind you which ruins the traffic flow.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #187
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
What boils my blood is that everyone is afraid to pass a cruiser/squad car on highways/local roads. If the speed limit is 45 MPH I feel comfortable driving 53, for example. If the officer is doing 48, everyone else is doing 45.

I’m sure you notice a line of cars behind you which ruins the traffic flow.
Drives me crazy too. Sometimes the cop will be under the speed limit and these idiots won't pass. Same with the ones that see a cop on the other side of the interstate going to other direction with a car they have already pulled over and are out of the car - and they still slow down 20 mph to under the limit.

Some even do it in the passing lane.

These people cause me road rage like no others. Cops are people too - you think they are going to pull you over for going the speed limit, from the other side of the road, and leave the car they have pulled over already?

#commonsenseisdead
scostu1619.50
      11-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #188
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

Lastly, the rumors I hear.... does 100+mph get you in the back seat of the cruiser every time? Curious to know the truth behind it.
I got cited for 115+ quite a few years back on I-80 in Sac; no arrest, no suspension, just a really big fine. I actually only got up to about 99-100 in a short burst in my old e46 325i, but the lady cop tried to say she paced me at 115 and I was still accelerating. Thing is she never paced me, she had to catch up to me because she was just getting onto the freeway so of course SHE was at 115+ and still accelerating, so no way she could have paced me. But oh well, live and learn. I should have got a lawyer because I probably could have got it dropped with the way she presented her facts and acted in court, but I didn't know any better.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      11-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #189
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was coming to the top of a rise near Temecula. I saw all the brake lights as people crested the hill, noses diving forward, so I lifted.

You were the unlucky one that day. Somebody always is. Was it a LIDAR reading? If so, the officer had already beamed you from quite a distance away.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #190
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

I'm sure you notice a line of cars behind you which ruins the traffic flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:

I'm sure you notice a line of cars behind you which ruins the traffic flow.
Drives me crazy too. Sometimes the cop will be under the speed limit and these idiots won't pass. Same with the ones that see a cop on the other side of the interstate going to other direction with a car they have already pulled over and are out of the car - and they still slow down 20 mph to under the limit.

Some even do it in the passing lane.

These people cause me road rage like no others. Cops are people too - you think they are going to pull you over for going the speed limit, from the other side of the road, and leave the car they have pulled over already?

#commonsenseisdead

I totally get it. Trust me.....it's annoying. Sometimes you'll see an officer exit the freeway and merge right back on. This happens for one of two reasons:
  1. To reset the flow of traffic
  2. To try to catch a motorist that the officer noticed was driving at a higher rate of speed than everybody else
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #191
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You were the unlucky one that day. Somebody always is. Was it a LIDAR reading? If so, the officer had already beamed you from quite a distance away.
If so he's a better shot than you . I was in a pack of about 10. They all hit the brakes hard and I lifted

It was a nice opportunity to show my teenage son how not to end up calling me from jail. Officer matched what the e90 digital display read within 1 mph

Funny thing, White guy with 3 Hispanic passengers, but we were heading South
      11-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #192
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
I totally get it. Trust me.....it's annoying. Sometimes you'll see an officer exit the freeway and merge right back on. This happens for one of two reasons:
  2. To try to catch a motorist that the officer noticed was driving at a higher rate of speed than everybody else
Not annoyed by the police in the least - just the other idiot drivers that seem to think cop cars spontaneously combust and will explode if they pass them.

I have a few buddies in LE, I could never do it. I take too much of my job home as it is and I don't see the worst side of people like they do. I have been to a few of their parties where I was the only non LE there and they are comfortable enough to speak frankly with me there. I would not make it. I'd be a drunk or worse.

I appreciate all you guys do and every time I hear someone whining about tint laws I give them the same speech. Strap on a badge and go out on the highway 15-20 minutes away from help and walk up on a car you can't see into and tell me how it feels? We allow 35 tint in MO and I have that on mine, but I still roll down my windows and turn on my dome if I get pulled over.

Funny cop story - I was probably mid 40's and still had my old 300ZXTT. I took it into a late movie one week night and was on my way home (11pmish) and the smallish town I was in was very dead. I came around a corner and being the large child I am, I opened her up a little and broke them loose. Nice soft tires so no squealing, but slid a tire width to the side - like that. As soon as I let off I noticed this cop in the exact parking lot to have a front row seat. I started laughing and deciding where to pull in and he of course lit me up. I also had 35 tint on this car (legal), but it is so small it looked darker and it was night. Rolled them both down as always and when he comes stomping up to my window he leans down and sees me and does a double take. He says "Damn - how old are you!?!?!?" I laugh and say "Old enough to know better!" as I hand him my license.

He says they have had complaints of kids tearing through that area and he was SURE he had pinched one. He goes and runs me and comes back and see's I had a CCW listed. He says "You packin??" I said no, but there is one in the car. He then goes on to tell me if I have my CCW I should be packing (the CO theater shooting had just happened) especially if I was in a movie. We then talked about guns for a minute once he learned I was in the industry.

He hands me my license and said "Go ahead and get on home, us old guys are allowed to let off a little steam now and then....."

I have had plenty of positive LE experiences, but that one took the cake. Not only was I "chastised" for not packing my weapon, I was basically told letting it eat now and then was not a bad thing........ =)
MKSixer34171.50
zb26031055.50
      11-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #193
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If so he's a better shot than you . I was in a pack of about 10. They all hit the brakes hard and I lifted

It was a nice opportunity to show my teenage son how not to end up calling me from jail. Officer matched what the e90 digital display read within 1 mph

Funny thing, White guy with 3 Hispanic passengers, but we were heading South
....so you're a Coyote?!?! J/K!
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17877.00
      11-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #194
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:
Not annoyed by the police in the least - just the other idiot drivers that seem to think cop cars spontaneously combust and will explode if they pass them.

I have a few buddies in LE, I could never do it. I take too much of my job home as it is and I don't see the worst side of people like they do. I have been to a few of their parties where I was the only non LE there and they are comfortable enough to speak frankly with me there. I would not make it. I'd be a drunk or worse.

I appreciate all you guys do and every time I hear someone whining about tint laws I give them the same speech. Strap on a badge and go out on the highway 15-20 minutes away from help and walk up on a car you can't see into and tell me how it feels? We allow 35 tint in MO and I have that on mine, but I still roll down my windows and turn on my dome if I get pulled over.

Funny cop story - I was probably mid 40's and still had my old 300ZXTT. I took it into a late movie one week night and was on my way home (11pmish) and the smallish town I was in was very dead. I came around a corner and being the large child I am, I opened her up a little and broke them loose. Nice soft tires so no squealing, but slid a tire width to the side - like that. As soon as I let off I noticed this cop in the exact parking lot to have a front row seat. I started laughing and deciding where to pull in and he of course lit me up. I also had 35 tint on this car (legal), but it is so small it looked darker and it was night. Rolled them both down as always and when he comes stomping up to my window he leans down and sees me and does a double take. He says "Damn - how old are you!?!?!?" I laugh and say "Old enough to know better!" as I hand him my license.

He says they have had complaints of kids tearing through that area and he was SURE he had pinched one. He goes and runs me and comes back and see's I had a CCW listed. He says "You packin??" I said no, but there is one in the car. He then goes on to tell me if I have my CCW I should be packing (the CO theater shooting had just happened) especially if I was in a movie. We then talked about guns for a minute once he learned I was in the industry.

He hands me my license and said "Go ahead and get on home, us old guys are allowed to let off a little steam now and then....."

I have had plenty of positive LE experiences, but that one took the cake. Not only was I "chastised" for not packing my weapon, I was basically told letting it eat now and then was not a bad thing........ =)
Love that story. It put a familiar rictus on my face.

It's interesting that you mentioned alcoholism. The propensity to turn to drugs or alcohol when stressed is something the hiring process and the psychologists attempt to weed out. This job will push some over the edge; I see it all of the time. Fortunately I have never been a drinker/drug user, so it's never my go-to when I'm stressed; isolation [with a pizza], martial arts and racing bikes are my preferred decompression methods. I also don't take it home; being largely disconnected works great for this field, but not so much for romantic relationships.
Appreciate 3
Dpc2u11503.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #195
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I have a friend (in SoCal) who has Montana plates for obvious reason. Drives only to the track and back. How much scrutiny is this being given these days?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #196
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
I have a friend (in SoCal) who has Montana plates for obvious reason. Drives only to the track and back. How much scrutiny is this being given these days?
Well, he's required to report to the DMV within 20 days of "relocating". If he's cited, he will have to register it in California. Fortunately for him he drives it infrequently, but there's still a risk.......albeit low. I see a lot of Oregon, Arizona, Utah and Nevada plates. I don't really focus too much on it/them personally.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #197
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
What's some things people have said to you at a traffic stop that made you laugh (and preferably enough that you let them off with a warning )
      11-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #198
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
What's some things people have said to you at a traffic stop that made you laugh (and preferably enough that you let them off with a warning )
Hmmm! I once asked a guy if he knew why I pulled him over. His response: "...Because I'm terribly good looking and you wanted to get a close-up?!?"

I laughed!

It was even funnier because he was from Australia or New Zealand, so the accent added humor to his ridiculous statement.
Appreciate 1