BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Florida people or anyone with Florida knowledge

04-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #45
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
It's interesting because I actually drove down the week before by myself (flew back) and had no issues at all. However I drove down on a weekday, maybe Monday or Tuesday where as this time we drove on the weekend. We also got screwed once on a long holiday weekend. So maybe the key is traveling during the week. I was concerned with rush hour traffic, but did not seem to be an issue when I drove by myself.
I got stuck in it on a Sunday going north and a Friday coming back.
      04-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #46
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
That stretch of I-95 in SC really sucks. I got stuck in that last month and expect to get stuck in it again next month. No real way to avoid it expect driving I-75 through Atlanta and NFW to that.
I used to drive I-95 from upstate NY to Florida every few months back in the 1980's and 1990's. Leave home at midnight, be through DC before rush hour, and cruise through the Carolinas and Georgia before pulling into our family's winter place just in time for dinner.

About 10 years ago, one of my siblings moved to coastal Georgia and asked me to move a trailer load of furniture down there for them. Holy crap was that entire stretch of I-95 through the Carolinas fscked up! I was planning to be in GA for lunch, but sat in traffic for so long that we didn't arrive until after midnight! The return trip was 19 hours, when it should have also been 14 hours tops.

TL;DR - After a few holidays trips in the 2010's with similar delays, I decided that the extra 50 miles to take I-81 -> I-77 -> US-321 was a better option for future trips. US-321 meets up with I-95 a few miles north of the Georgia border, and I-95 is 3-4 lanes all the way through GA with no traffic. Plus, there are some nice Route-66-esque photo ops along US-321...including Tow Mater and Doc Hudson:

The only gotcha on this route that I've seen is the afternoon rush hour north of Charlotte on I-77 by Lake Norman (NASCAR country). The years-long construction project is finished, but it still seems to back up in the late afternoons. Well, there's also the gotcha of not seeing a gazillion Pedro / South of the Border billboards on I-95.....
RickFLM411000.00
Tommy-G4504.50
jmack550.00
      04-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #47
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I used to drive I-95 from upstate NY to Florida every few months back in the 1980's and 1990's. Leave home at midnight, be through DC before rush hour, and cruise through the Carolinas and Georgia before pulling into our family's winter place just in time for dinner.

About 10 years ago, one of my siblings moved to coastal Georgia and asked me to move a trailer load of furniture down there for them. Holy crap was that entire stretch of I-95 through the Carolinas fscked up! I was planning to be in GA for lunch, but sat in traffic for so long that we didn't arrive until after midnight! The return trip was 19 hours, when it should have also been 14 hours tops.

TL;DR - After a few holidays trips in the 2010's with similar delays, I decided that the extra 50 miles to take I-81 -> I-77 -> US-321 was a better option for future trips. US-321 meets up with I-95 a few miles north of the Georgia border, and I-95 is 3-4 lanes all the way through GA with no traffic. Plus, there are some nice Route-66-esque photo ops along US-321...including Tow Mater and Doc Hudson:

The only gotcha on this route that I've seen is the afternoon rush hour north of Charlotte on I-77 by Lake Norman (NASCAR country). The years-long construction project is finished, but it still seems to back up in the late afternoons. Well, there's also the gotcha of not seeing a gazillion Pedro / South of the Border billboards on I-95.....
Where do you catch US-321? Our route is from South Florida to western NC (Asheville), and back, so basically I-95 to I-26 west near Charleston. We never go through Charlotte or get on I-95 north of Charleston. Wondering if US-321 intersects with I-26 (another road with its own issues, mostly truck traffic and construction). I’d like to look into a route like that.

I am somewhat familiar with I-81/I-77 as I grew up in RI and my dad avoided I-95 through NY on all our trips south. He calls it the “inland route” and it was a much better drive than I-95.
vreihen1615511.00
      04-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #48
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I missed out on some of that scenery when we moved from NJ to Fl in 2015. 1 dog, 3 cats and the excitement of getting down here I wasnt watching anything but the Valentine 1 and the median for smokeys.

Now that I'm here I can't stand driving more than 2 hours at a pop. We did a long weekend to Savannah GA and went through some old world areas that were cool but I miss exploring things like abandonned towns and such
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #49
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
As usual, I have flip flopped 327.5 times and I'm leaning towards Naples and Marco Island split or staying in Naples and touring the areas.

Hollywood-I got input that it has gone down hill and kind of shady
West Palm-still up top of the list but didnt look "relaxing" to me. More on the go things like walking/touring and shopping
DelRay-looked like a great area but not much to do from what I could find. Even though I just said I want to relax, Naples seems to have both....the relaxing resort on the beach and then the downtown shops/bars/restaurants.

Anyone have any favorite resorts? Looking between Naples Grande and Edgewater right now.

The old standby is still on deck...Orlando. We have our favorite resort (The Dolphin for relaxing) and then everything else around for fun.
Honestly if you just want to relax, I’d just do Naples and Marco Island and call it a day. Maybe check out Sanibel island as well. My go-to Naples area is Vanderbilt Beach - La Playa and the Ritz Carlton are the best places imo

That whole east coast of FL from Palm Beach county down to Broward and Miami-Dade is a very fun place with that unique ocean/waterway topography that gives you a different experience with activities and scenery. But i would never call it truly relaxing…it’s still too urban for that.

And Orlando…relaxing is the last word I’d use to describe that place. Especially the Dolphin! But maybe we just have a different definition
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #50
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One;
Honestly if you just want to relax, I’d just do Naples and Marco Island and call it a day. Maybe check out Sanibel island as well.

That whole east coast of FL from Palm Beach county down to Broward and Miami-Dade is a very fun place with that unique ocean/waterway topography that gives you a different experience with activities and scenery. But i would never call it truly relaxing…it’s still too urban for that.

And Orlando…relaxing is the last word I’d use to describe that place. Especially the Dolphin! But maybe we just have a different definition
Actually just booked Naples this morning. Been to Sanibel but "to me" that was like a mortuary. I want the ability to relax with a side of excitement. I guess thats why I said Orlando/Dolphin. We like their pool and the rooms but can get great dinners or venture over to Disney Springs.

I'm a very complicated creature....but Naples it is (probably day trip to Marco also)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #51
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Where do you catch US-321? Our route is from South Florida to western NC (Asheville), and back, so basically I-95 to I-26 west near Charleston.
I-26, I-77, and US-321 all intersect at the big spaghetti bowl interchange just south of Columbia. Driving south on I-77, it is a straight line to Savannah (OK, Hardeeville at the SC/GA border) instead of taking the I-26 and I-95 dog legs on your current route. It's a two-lane road, but they all seem to work well in the south with no appreciable traffic jams or slow vehicles.

We will be making a trip down to the SC retirement property next month, with detours to coastal GA and a day trip to Miami. I'll probably take US-321, and am thinking about coming back via the Florida Turnpike and I-75 so that I can make a quick stop to ride the Stone Mountain Railroad near Atlanta and cross it off of my bucket list.....
      04-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #52
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Actually just booked Naples this morning. Been to Sanibel but "to me" that was like a mortuary. I want the ability to relax with a side of excitement. I guess thats why I said Orlando/Dolphin. We like their pool and the rooms but can get great dinners or venture over to Disney Springs.

I'm a very complicated creature....but Naples it is (probably day trip to Marco also)
It’s true about Sanibel lol. It’s relaxing if you want nothing and no one to disturb you, but there’s absolutely nothing to do
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4504.50
      05-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #53
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

OK so heading to Naples...anyone have any must see, must do, must eat spots????
I wanted to hit REVS institute but its the wifes birthday and I dont really want to spend the day inside for her birthday
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #54
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

I've lived in South Florida my whole life and don't know what there is to do
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #55
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofhockenheim View Post
I've lived in South Florida my whole life and don't know what there is to do
It's funny, when I lived in NJ I could tell you almost anything about the whole state and where to go and I had likely been there. I moved to Florida and barely leave my county except to go to Disney/Orlando
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #56
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
+1 on Boca Raton, if I were to ever move back to FL I'd consider that area.
It's so fvcking crowded here, and so many people from NY & NJ who are assholes. I left NY because I was done with the fuckery and bull$hit, but it's gotten so bad here. When a light turns green, not even two seconds later, people are honking at you to go when there is a jackwad running the red light through the intersection. When both cars pass low and behold, the plates are either from NY or NJ.

The only good thing about the snowbirds from NY is that their Medicare insurance pays more for my sleep apnea treatment than Florida Medicare insurance.
rebekahb3142.50
      05-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #57
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
It's so fvcking crowded here, and so many people from NY & NJ who are assholes. I left NY because I was done with the fuckery and bull$hit, but it's gotten so bad here. When a light turns green, not even two seconds later, people are honking at you to go when there is a jackwad running the red light through the intersection. When both cars pass low and behold, the plates are either from NY or NJ.

The only good thing about the snowbirds from NY is that their Medicare insurance pays more for my sleep apnea treatment than Florida Medicare insurance.
Agreed, and understood!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #58
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

Don't go to Miami then! I think like 3-4 cars can still make a left turn AFTER the light turns red! Pretty sure it's the law down there. Literally the WORST drivers anywhere in the country we have been to are in Miami (actually they might be the best drivers given they don't crash every 5 seconds), especially that stretch of 95 right after the golden glades... pure fucking savages! It's like gladiator, but in cars.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4504.50
DocL1954.00
      05-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #59
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Don Cesar, St Pete beach. They also have boutique rooms right down the street- shared beach.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3525.00
      05-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #60
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
Don Cesar, St Pete beach. They also have boutique rooms right down the street- shared beach.
We go there often, we are right over the Skyway bridge from there.
We picked Naples this trip though
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #61
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Don't go to Miami then! I think like 3-4 cars can still make a left turn AFTER the light turns red! Pretty sure it's the law down there. Literally the WORST drivers anywhere in the country we have been to are in Miami (actually they might be the best drivers given they don't crash every 5 seconds), especially that stretch of 95 right after the golden glades... pure fucking savages! It's like gladiator, but in cars.
I never go to Miami unless we are going on a cruise. The Golden Glades has always been a shit show ever since it was built. I don't know why anyone would want to drive south of the Broward County line.
      05-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #62
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
OK so heading to Naples...anyone have any must see, must do, must eat spots????
I wanted to hit REVS institute but its the wifes birthday and I dont really want to spend the day inside for her birthday
I was there three years ago briefly for 24 hrs; don't recall exactly which spots I ate at but they were pretty good. You'll find some nice restaurants on the main ave st. thoroughfare. There's a lot of other stuff to do outside that immediate 5th ave area, I just didn't have the time to explore it all.

Naples is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been too. It has a very small town feel in the best way possible. Very walkable, Such a prestine beach too, free from all the commercialization of many Florida and California beaches. It's quiet and serene, lovely place to stroll with your wife especially at sunset.

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-02-2022 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4504.50
      05-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #63
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I was in Miami two months ago. Such an insane place, like LA/NYC level insane people but in a Caribbean setting. Miami is so culturally different from the rest of America. Weird mix of Northeast expats, central/south Americans, rich and poor. Lot of people don't speak English, drivers are insane. City is pretty clean and well-kempt. Too wild a place for me, although California COL may have me rethinking that in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #64
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

That's just Florida man, it was (and still is) EXACTLY the same way in Pinellas county.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #65
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I never go to Miami unless we are going on a cruise. The Golden Glades has always been a shit show ever since it was built. I don't know why anyone would want to drive south of the Broward County line.
My $0.02 is that the above should say south of the Brevard County line.....
      05-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #66
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My $0.02 is that the above should say south of the Brevard County line.....
Hey, I resemble that
Attached Images

Appreciate 0