BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Headlamp assembly

03-13-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
Davewu90
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i (manual), 2017 X1

Headlamp assembly

I recently replaced my working cracked headlamp assembly after a fender bender with a used one, but my bumper guy forgot to move my working ballast and module to the replacement unit before swapping out. I believe the replacement has a defective module.

Do I have to take apart the bumper again and redo the entire process or can I get access without doing all that, similar to how the bulbs are changed out?

The lights do seems to actually work, but throw "High Beam error" and "Low Beam error" that I assume are tied to the fault ballast, module, or even bulbs.

This is on a 2017 F48 X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:00 AM   #2
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewu90 View Post
I recently replaced my working cracked headlamp assembly after a fender bender with a used one, but my bumper guy forgot to move my working ballast and module to the replacement unit before swapping out. I believe the replacement has a defective module.

Do I have to take apart the bumper again and redo the entire process or can I get access without doing all that, similar to how the bulbs are changed out?

The lights do seems to actually work, but throw "High Beam error" and "Low Beam error" that I assume are tied to the fault ballast, module, or even bulbs.

This is on a 2017 F48 X1.
There several modules, unsure which you can access without removing the bumper. Do you see the aluminium heatsinks? These are the electrical modules.
I think you can remove the Top one without problem, the back one can you probably remove either from Top or if you only remove the wheel liner.

Note there are some differences, between halogen, xenon and led versions

Last edited by mrpingu; 03-14-2024 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0