BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 x1 driver stabilisation drive moderately

06-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
Vik1978
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

F48 x1 driver stabilisation drive moderately

Hi

Newbie here so apologies in advance if I break any forum etiquette or rules.

I am trying to diagnose an intermittent issue on a 2016 f48 x1 20i xDrive with 36000mls. Out of the blue, driver stabilisation drive moderately message came up while cornering at low speed. BMW suggested tyre depth and sure enough, front was around 3-4mm less than rear. Fronts were replaced for same tyre as rear (bmw * rated Pirelli, now 8mm on front and 6mm on rear) and this seemed to solve the issue until a few weeks later when the message came up again. A diagnostic check reported code 440317: Pump motor, general multiple fault (and there may have been a subsequent warning about transfer box temperature). Further investigation found a technical service bulletin suggesting it was a software issue so it was updated - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...50968-9999.pdf . All was well for a few weeks but again the driver stabilisation drive moderately and 440317: Pump motor, general multiple fault came up once more while driving at low speed.

There doesn't seem to be any impact to performance (maybe a slight jerk during first occurrence of the issue, but can’t be sure that wasn’t just a pothole!) and I am unable to reproduce the message on demand. When it does happen, the message comes up once and then disappears a few seconds later. Would appreciate any advice?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

I can only provide advice on seeing this error on both older E39 and e90 BMW's where a loose or dying yaw sensor (located under the driver's seat) causes similar symptoms. In the E39 the error was only readable while the error is on the screen. As soon as the car is turned off the error is gone. E90 the error will cause a jerk as the car applies the brakes gently as it thinks the car is sliding then the error appears.

Not sure if that helps or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Vik1978
Rep

thank you for the reply.. certainly something else to consider. I do recall I have been cornering and going up slight incline just before or during each instance, but perhaps co-incidence.

The "Pump motor, general multiple fault" code seems to be confusing as no one seems to have the slightest idea what pump or motor it is referring to! (there was perhaps a hint of suspicion it may be differential pump and/or the transfer case actuator during one conversations with technician)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

According to the bulletin, there is a test plan the dealership must now go through to attempt to diagnose the error :

"4.If the fault is stored again, work through the corresponding test plan in the ISTA/D."

Unfortunately I have an older version of ISTA so I can't see the test plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
Vik1978
Rep

Thanks again for the reply. I have been trying to ask my tech what the ISTA/D test plan is but seems reluctant to share.

I am not really familiar with the software, but would anyone with recent version be able to look it up for me?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #6
Vik1978
Rep

Sorry to raise this thread again, but after replacement of the hydronic pump for rear diff two years and more than 11k miles ago (I believe part number 33-10-8-663-457, similar to this post https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640820) I was error free until the dreaded “driver stabilisation drive moderately” message came up again. A few days later I also got a tire pressure message. I inflated all tyres to the lower end of the suggested pressures as I tend to be a lone driver, and again the message came up a few times after cornering over the following weeks. I have since inflated to the loaded pressures suggested for more passengers and am no longer able to generate the message. When the message did present, there was no obvious impact to performance.

I got the code read by my dealer and it was a temporary or intermittent temperature warning for the transfer case. There was no mention of the legacy pump error and the dealer is suggesting it is not related to previous issue and was just a simple case of low pressure causing additional load on the transfer case, claiming the sensor is very sensitive.

Does that sound plausible or am could I be looking at the start of a bigger problem?

Last edited by Vik1978; 11-01-2023 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #7
Vik1978
Rep

Hi, although I have not put many miles since increasing pressures, there is still no sign of the “driver stabilisation, drive moderately” message so far. Is it really possible that a slightly low tyre pressure can put enough additional load on the transfer case to get a temporary temperature warning? Really would appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #8
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik1978 View Post
Hi, although I have not put many miles since increasing pressures, there is still no sign of the “driver stabilisation, drive moderately” message so far. Is it really possible that a slightly low tyre pressure can put enough additional load on the transfer case to get a temporary temperature warning? Really would appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Yes, the transfer case is quite sensitive in BMWs the explanation in your previous post makes sense to me and I wouldn't worry too much about it. It has mostly to do with if the diameter front and back are not equal
Appreciate 0