BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) EDC on UK BMW X1 (F48) THE TRUTH

03-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
mchlpeel
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thumbs up EDC on UK BMW X1 (F48) THE TRUTH

Ok guys after a bit of a nightmare actually getting to post this (needing 3 posts elsewhere) here it is.

I read a lot about Electronic Damper Control (EDC) and found lots of conflicting information.

I decided to ask BMW directly about what EDC actually does for the UK spec X1

I sent the following (answers in italics)

I have a query about the UK spec BMW X1. One of the options is electronic damper control (EDC)

Does this option do anything in comfort mode or does it only do something in sport mode?
Both, the dampers react differently in both modes and feedback information to the vehicle’s computer which adjusts the suspension settings in real time.

If its in comfort mode does it soften suspension over pot hole etc over and above standard suspension without EDC?
Absolutely, the standard suspension settings are locked in whereas with the EDC they react to the road surface and driving conditions, flattening out bumps and potholes by adjusting accordingly. The end result is a more comfortable drive with EDC than with the standard suspension just by itself.

I hope this clears up the confusion for anyone buying an X1 in the UK.

EDIT

SEE POST #14 FOR THE REAL TRUTH!

Last edited by mchlpeel; 03-28-2017 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Edited to show Final outcome
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

....sigh!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep

The reason I sigh is that this issue has been addressed carefully many times.

Unless there has been some recent change in the UK specifications for the F48 X1, the advice you have received from BMW is NOT "The Truth". Some "expert" has mistakenly responded to you by parroting the functionality of BMW's adaptive suspension system, which is fitted to some higher-end BMWs ...but not the F48. Also, it's not all too apparent BMW has renamed and acronymed its various systems so many times that not even those who ought to be able to advise customer correctly can do so.

Dynamic Damper Control (as it is called in Australia for the F48) or Electronic Damper Control (as in the UK) is simply a two setting control for the damping provided by the car's shock absorbers achieve through valve settings on the shock absorbers. In the BMW documentation, it is described as Dynamic/Electronic Damper Control: "In addition to the standard COMFORT setting, which assures a smooth and comfortable ride, there is also a SPORT mode. This setting stiffens the damper for a more direct, athletic driving performance. Each mode is activated by the Driving Experience Control switch in the centre console." (brochure, p25)

So, for precision, all F48 X1s are equipped with the Driving Experience Control (DEC), which provides switching for throttle mapping (Eco Pro; Comfort, Sport...). Adaptive damping is provided via the Dynamic/Electronic Damper Control (D/EDC), which is optional, and provides firmer shock absorber damping when the DEC is switched to Sport.

It seems unlikely BMW will have changed all this just for the UK market...but who knows. And, if there has been a recent change to the F48 replacing D/EDC with an adaptive systems, ignore all this, and shoot me......ok?

But I just "built" an X1 on the UK site, and this is what it tells me in relation to EDC:
"Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
£ 390.00
Electronic damper control allows the driver to change the damper characteristics to two different settings, for an exceptionally smooth ride or increased driving dynamics. Along with the standard COMFORT setting, which provides a serene and pleasant driving experience, the SPORT setting is also available. When it is selected, the damper settings are firmer and the driving characteristics are more direct and dynamic. The settings are activated with the Driving Experience Control switch in the centre console.
Benefits at a glance:
dynamic or comfortable driving at the push of a button
optimal vibration characteristics, based on the load
reduction in unpleasant pitching motions"

So, to be clear, EDC is simply a damper with a switchable damping valve. Activating the switch gives firmer damping. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
mchlpeel
Rep

For transparency here are the "experts" details

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Salma Yusuf
Customer Support Executive
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000
Mail to: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

Here is the information regarding EDC
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...r_control.html
This suggests more than simply 2 settings and corroborates what the expert was saying. It implies 2 overall settings (comfort or Sport) that are infinitely adjustable within limits based on sensor information.

Here is the information about active suspension or adaptive drive.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html
You will note that adaptive drive is made up of 3 components.

Dynamic drive - Adjusts stabilisers in real time

Flex ray - Which is the high speed electronics

Variable damper control - Adjusts the dampers in real time

Now before everyone gets confused you will note there is no link to VDC at all on the adaptive drive page and if you look to the right you will notice a hyper link to EDC as a related article.

VDC no longer has an entry in the technology page at all. It is left in the description of adaptive drive presumably as a typo and just hasn't been changed when they re branded VDC to EDC.

Look at the wording used in both EDC and adaptive drive descriptions. VDC = EDC at least in in UK BMWs. I am looking at the en version of BMWs site. They dont help themselves because in the EDC description they even use the word variable.

If this doesn't convince you have a read of the flex ray description. It also describes the same electromagnetic valves that are described on the EDC page.

I was very specific in my wording to BMW but i may send another query ensuring I havent been given information about active / adaptive suspension. As it looks to me though the reason it sounds like the adaptive suspension is because it does appear to be half of that system.

As for Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) that you mentioned I cant find that anywhere other than on the BMW X3.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...g_control.html
To be honest it sounds similar to the other 2 so DDC = VDC = EDC.

To summarise
EDC is a system that can be activated manually through the driver experience button or automatically using the sensors in the car. The result is 2 settings (comfort or Sport) which can infinitely adjust damper settings in real time based on sensor information within the defined profile limits. The comfort provided in comfort mode is better than that of a non EDC car as per the experts information.

Last edited by mchlpeel; 03-26-2017 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:37 AM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Salma is either very confused (most likely, given all the different stuff, names and acronyms BMW gives to its various systems), or ignorant. Or perhaps lazy (surely not!). But she's wrong. My answer above stands. We've been through this too often...and I've had a car with adaptive suspension (vs EDC/DDC on the F48). Yes, there are two settings...more on M cars...but they are quite different.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

If there is a sophisticated controlsystem on X1 - and X3/X4 - there should be sensors tucked away somewhere, not only wires going to control system for soft/firm.

I have seen no such sensors being described for X1 nor X3/X4.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlpeel View Post
To summarise
EDC is a system that can be activated manually through the driver experience button. The result is 2 settings comfort or Sport.
Which IIRC in the training manuals simply reduces the travel. EDC is very basic and dumb in the X1, but it does the job well enough.

Comfort = bouncy
Sport = far less bouncy.

Its a good job BMW didn't introduce an ESA type suspension off their motorcycles into cars. The last ESA bike I had provided 15 settings...

Last edited by jsdh89j9ijkL; 03-26-2017 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: just noticed another error.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

I have EDC and 17" wheels, winter and summer tyres. I drive 99% time in comfort mode.

So at my spec it is maximum comfort in X1. All you having 18" , 19" wheels for nice look with or without EDC can forget about comfort ride in X1, sorry .
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep

The X1's ride with 18" wheels and EDC is very comfortable. Before I purchased, I experienced test drives in X1s with 19" wheels and found the ride harsh. However, BMW made suspension adjustments to the EDC-equipped X1 from Jan 2016, and the ride in these cars is reported much better.

Tyres are also a factor. I was pleasantly surprised by the Pirelli P7 RFTs on our car. Previous experience in BMWs with Bridgestone RFTs (very hard sidewalls) made me concerned, but the Pirelli seem fine for ride....and handling.

And, yes, I use the firmer Sport EDC setting quite frequently -- it's no sports car but makes the X1 much nicer to punt along through the corners.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly View Post
I have EDC and 17" wheels, winter and summer tyres. I drive 99% time in comfort mode.

So at my spec it is maximum comfort in X1. All you having 18" , 19" wheels for nice look with or without EDC can forget about comfort ride in X1, sorry .
18 inch wheels with no EDC plenty comfy enough on all road types for me

17 inch look too small on the car.......
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      03-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
mchlpeel
Rep

So i sent another round of questions to BMW

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Phillip Owen
BMW Customer Support Executive
Summit ONE
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 325 6000

Note that this is a completely different person than before.

1. What sensors does the EDC system use on the UK BMW X1 (F48) to adjust the shock settings in real time?The sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers.
More information about the functioning of EDC can be found here.

2. What is the difference between Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) Variable Damper control (VDC) and Electronic Damper control (EDC)?
VDC enables adjustment of steering feel, throttle response engine response and suspension settings, however the BMW X1 doesn’t come with this option.

Granted this guy is just repeating what is on BMWs website and he doesnt actually even answer the questions asked. Both BMW support reps think the EDC on the BMW X1 is sensor controlled.

In fact the only thing pointing towards a dumb system is the Australian training manuals. These manuals do describe a SAS module, could this be a steering angle sensor? The website and the support reps think this is a sensor controlled system. I don't know what to believe.

What do i need to ask BMW to get a detailed truthful answer. Or rather WHO do i need to speak too?

Last edited by mchlpeel; 03-27-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

OK, BMW claims there is EDC, but does not describe what type of sensors are used - only control system in shocks.

I don't buy that - i.e I don't buy that they are very effective. What is obvious, is that there are two settings - Comfort and Sport - which is good. Any other effect is- to my mind- marginal.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Good grief! They're masters of ignorance in BMW UK Customer Service

The information you need on EDC in the X1 is contained in the brochure for the car, or on the website if you configure an order with the EDC option. It is described per the text I quoted above and operates simply to provide firmer damping when Sport is selected.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
mchlpeel
Rep

Finally i have received an answer about EDC

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Asif Malik
Summit ONE
Hampshire , GU14 0FB

I asked

I have asked a few times about the EDC system on the BMW X1. As yet I have not received a detailed enough answer.

Is the EDC option a "dumb" 2 setting system or is it more complex?
Exactly which sensors are used in the BMW X1 EDC system?
Can it really enhance the ride in comfort mode in real time?

Apologies for the information you have received previously. To clarify, Electronic Damper Control is often a term used to describe Variable Damper Control in other markets. The link you received earlier was from the international BMW website.

Here in the UK EDC and VDC have two very distinct functions and descriptions that will differ from other markets. Electronic Damper Control allows the damper characteristics to be adjusted by the driver based on the driving conditions, either to improve rolling comfort or to increase driving dynamism. In addition to the standard setting Comfort, which guarantees smooth and comfortable rolling characteristics, Sport mode is also available. In Sport mode the dampers are stiffened and the vehicle is set up to feel more direct and sporty. The various modes are activated via the Driving Experience Control in the centre console.

So you could say it is a "dumb" two setting system as you described in your reply. The dampers will behave differently depending on if you have selected Comfort or Sport.

With Variable Damper Control as referred to in the UK specification, the shock absorbers automatically adjust to road conditions. Depending on the model this option also adds Sport+ mode to the Drive Performance Control. You'll notice Sport+ is not part of EDC on the X1. A UK spec X1 will need Sport automatic transmission or Variable Sport steering for Sport+

It is important to note however that VDC is not available on the UK spec X1. It is available on other cars in the range, notably on the X range, it is part of the X3 and X4. On the X5 VDC is part of the options for Adaptive M Suspension and Adaptive Comfort Suspension.

I hope this answers your questions. And apologies for any confusion caused.

They got there in the end, now i just need to ring up BMW and remove it before they place my order :P

So there you have it. THE TRUTH!!!!!
Appreciate 2
CliveL163.00
ttimbo280.00
      03-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep

...and you doubted us! The TRUTH is out here in the forums; sometimes, it's just hard to discern among the bullish!t, misunderstanding and crossed purpose discussions. Not that different to BMW UK customer service, actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #16
mchlpeel
Rep

It wasnt so much doubt but more hope that it was a smart system because that would have been pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Asif Malik
Summit ONE
Hampshire , GU14 0FB

I asked

I have asked a few times about the EDC system on the BMW X1. As yet I have not received a detailed enough answer.

Apologies for the information you have received previously. To clarify, Electronic Damper Control is often a term used to describe Variable Damper Control in other markets. The link you received earlier was from the international BMW website.

Here in the UK EDC and VDC have two very distinct functions and descriptions that will differ from other markets. Electronic Damper Control allows the damper characteristics to be adjusted by the driver based on the driving conditions, either to improve rolling comfort or to increase driving dynamism. In addition to the standard setting Comfort, which guarantees smooth and comfortable rolling characteristics, Sport mode is also available. In Sport mode the dampers are stiffened and the vehicle is set up to feel more direct and sporty. The various modes are activated via the Driving Experience Control in the centre console.

So you could say it is a "dumb" two setting system as you described in your reply. The dampers will behave differently depending on if you have selected Comfort or Sport.

With Variable Damper Control as referred to in the UK specification, the shock absorbers automatically adjust to road conditions. Depending on the model this option also adds Sport+ mode to the Drive Performance Control. You'll notice Sport+ is not part of EDC on the X1. A UK spec X1 will need Sport automatic transmission or Variable Sport steering for Sport+

It is important to note however that VDC is not available on the UK spec X1. It is available on other cars in the range, notably on the X range, it is part of the X3 and X4. On the X5 VDC is part of the options for Adaptive M Suspension and Adaptive Comfort Suspension.

They got there in the end, now i just need to ring up BMW and remove it before they place my order :P

What's the logic in removing it, I quite like the EDC...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Quote:

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Asif Malik
Summit ONE
Hampshire , GU14 0FB

I asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The%20Beast View Post
Quote:

BMW Group
United Kingdom

Asif Malik
Summit ONE
Hampshire , GU14 0FB

I asked

I agree -- gives a little extra flexibility (handling and ride comfort) for not much money
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #19
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

"A UK spec X1 will need Sport automatic transmission or Variable Sport steering for Sport+"

hmm...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:01 AM   #20
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
"A UK spec X1 will need Sport automatic transmission or Variable Sport steering for Sport+"

hmm...
Indeed! Almost goes without saying, but that information is incorrect, too
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #21
mchlpeel
Rep

The reason for not including it is because i'm not interested in using sport mode.

If it were to benefit comfort mode (which it doesn't) then it would be worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #22
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
The reason for not including it is because i'm not interested in using sport mode.

If it were to benefit comfort mode (which it doesn't) then it would be worthwhile.
What model line are you going for?
Appreciate 0