BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) No automatic headlights 2018 X1 F48 sDrive i20? (UK)

06-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
drchen
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive i20

Unhappy No automatic headlights 2018 X1 F48 sDrive i20? (UK)

Hi folks,

Terribly sorry for a really dumb question, we are going to buy a used 2018 X1 F48 sDrive i20 (here in the UK), we found out in the test drive that the light control panel for the headlights does not have a "A", only with "0" and two others light ON mode. It's like panel 1 in the attached photo. I am quite gutted if the headlights are not automatic for such a modern car. The salesman does not seem to have an answer to whether it is auto or not, he said I have to switch on the lights manually. I looked up in the forum, some people say even though the knob is on "0" position, the lights would still be automatically switched on when required, is this the case? From my understanding, it is only the daytime running lights would be turned on by the "0", but not the low beam? I am so confused! Does the "A" means adaptive rather than automatic?

By the way, the car comes with automatic wipers, I looked up online, it says the automatic wiper sensor is shared with automatic headlights, so car should be able to do automatic headlights.

Thank you all for the help!

Last edited by drchen; 06-23-2021 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Add more information
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:22 AM   #2
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Ours are like 2 in your picture. However, the handbook clearly says that position O is "Lights Off" (presumably when ignition is off), "Automatic driving lights control" (which includes daytime driving lights when the ignition is switched on and also switching the low beam headlights on or off automatically depending on ambient light conditions). When the headlights come on, a green symbol is illuminated on the dashboard. The next position on picture 1 is sidelights only and the final position is headlights, which like every other car with automatic headlights you have to turn to when driving in eg fog on a bright day, because the automatic function can't identify fog. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
this is where you put the switch for automatic headlights/taillights.

If you don't have this position, then you don't have auto headlights.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

In the UK, I have the auto on lights. In line with what I believe is EU legislation, the lights, including headlights, are activated when it’s raining, including when the light switch is in the ‘off’ position. Another observation from when it’s raining, but not directly connected to the lights activation, is that when I turn on my intermittent rear wiper, as soon as I engage reverse, the wiper goes into continuous sweep mode until I re-engage Drive and move in forward motion.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
drchen
Rep

Many thanks all for your reply!
I just got the car, yes indeed that the Daytime Running Lights are automatically switched on when the lights are low, but I don't think the Low Beam is. I think I just have to get on with it, the technician from the local dealer doesn't think it is possible to retrofit No 2 in the pic to replace my No 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 02:23 AM   #6
drchen
Rep

Just an update, last night when it was dark outside I had a test on "0", actually the low beam illuminated..so even with "0" it doesn't mean it is switched off but means fully automatic. Very very confusing by BMW. Anyway, it is a good news, mainly good for Mrs, she is happy about that.
Appreciate 0